Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vango Kela fouling on the sliding door

Dylan

Dylan

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We have the Vango Kela and like the set-up, but experienced problems with the sliding door fouling the awning. Our Cali has the electric sliding door and this caused some anxiety as door opened and closed. The main issue is the kador strip and figure of 8 being too low to clear the door. I have rectified this by introducing an intermediate strip to raise the figure of 8 above the door.

Hope that the attachment helps if others have also had this problem.

Attachments

• Vango Kela awning attachment.pdf
    427.1 KB · Views: 773
Thats a great idea! (and well documented!)

Very interesting! I will bare this in mind when fitting my Kela for the first time, thanks for the post

That's an excellent solution.

A thorough solution...

Not to familiar with this awning but had similar issues on other awnings... solved by having the wind-out awning open a couple of inches. This means the door slides under the wind-out and not the attached drive-away.

We actually have it out about 4 when attaching and wind it back a couple to tighten.

Need to be careful that the door top doesn't touch the material at all.. it's incredibly abrasive and will take paint off in no time.

That being said, haven't used the drive-away in over three years since we got full side panels for the wind-out.

Rgds
M

I fitted my Kela for the first time this weekend and whilst it is close it cleared ok, but I could see it being a problem if the walk way wasn't tight, which is easy to adjust right by winding out the awning and attaching the vango to it first, peg it out then wind the awning in to get it tight

An even easier solution which was at the NEC Motorhome show last year is to put the figure of eight on the top edge of the of the awning. Does away with the need for a Kador strip and lifts the awning even higher.
This was on a Cali with a Motordome awning so it definitely works. Not tried it ourselves yet as we rarely use the Khyam.

And if you do leave the wind-out awning sticking out 6 inches or so, don't try to fully open the drivers door.... as I've attempted to do..... twice!

:headbang

I didn't realise you could attach to the top of the wind-out awning? That would be a very simple solution.

briwy said:
An even easier solution which was at the NEC Motorhome show last year is to put the figure of eight on the top edge of the of the awning. Does away with the need for a Kador strip and lifts the awning even higher.
This was on a Cali with a Motordome awning so it definitely works. Not tried it ourselves yet as we rarely use the Khyam.

How would this fit on the top of the awning? Any photos of how this would done?

With the figure of 8 attached to the top of the awning, doesn't this make it impossible to detach and drive off leaving driveaway tent erected ? I would have thought an additional kador and figure of 8 would be needed to detach & reattach ?

colint17 said:
With the figure of 8 attached to the top of the awning, doesn't this make it impossible to detach and drive off leaving driveaway tent erected ? I would have thought an additional kador and figure of 8 would be needed to detach & reattach ?

Not tried it but suspect that the figure of eight would simply unclip from the vehicle awning and remain attached to the Vango awning. In fact the actual Kador would be redundant.

erected our new kela yesterday and attaching by this method works a treat. No Kador needed.
Impressed with the product. No instructions included but YouTube explains everything.
Cost ÂŁ380 from localish motorhome centre. No carpet though.
Getting it back into the bag was my biggest problem!

I have also attached the Kela awning to our Cali using just the figure of 8 strip positioned on the the top edge of the fixed awning. It works a treat without the need for the kador strip. We had a wild thunder storm and this arrangement held up well to all the elements.

Martin

out of curiosity Martin how many figure 8 strips did you use? 'm only able to find strips about a metre long?? cheers

Hello awning fans!
To get this straight, you'd need an awning channel, Kador strip and figure of 8 to be able to drive away and leave the Kela in place??
I'm assuming this isn't possible by attaching the Kela directly to a awning channel strip attached to the existing awning??

Correct??
Thanks in advance

If you were to use the method of slotting the figure of eight onto the top lip of the roll out section of the Cali awning you do not need a kador strip, it is redundant. However if you were to use the channel built into the Cali awning you would need the Kador.

Whilst I understand the issues about the fouling of the door by the drive away awning it is becoming less of an issue and I just seem to have gotten the knack of using the fig 8 & Kador without fouling.

Andy80F said:
If you were to use the method of slotting the figure of eight onto the top lip of the roll out section of the Cali awning you do not need a kador strip, it is redundant. However if you were to use the channel built into the Cali awning you would need the Kador.

Whilst I understand the issues about the fouling of the door by the drive away awning it is becoming less of an issue and I just seem to have gotten the knack of using the fig 8 & Kador without fouling.
Cheers Andy,
Got it! Didn't understand the solution of attaching the figure 8 to the top of the roll-out awning. But got it now.
ta

Not sure I completely understand the use of the top lip of the roll out awning case.
Is the figure of eight left on this when you drive away ?
If so , what keeps it in position ?
Does the figure of eight mark the roll out awning case at all ?

Not used my drive away awning yet - perhaps it will be come clear when I do.

Hi,

This method of attaching the Kela awning is so good. Just insert 3 figure of eight strips into the Kela Kador channel. Wind out the fixed awning about 100mm. Lift the figure of eight strips onto the top edge of the fixed awning. Wind in the fixed awning trapping the figure of eight strips . That's it. Reverse the procedure to detach the Kela.

We have used this method in high winds and rain without mishap and it doesn't harm the fixed awning. The whole procedure takes a couple of minutes.

Martin

Just insert 3 figure of eight strips into the Kela Kador channel

Just so I can get this clear , is the Kela Kador channel part of the Kela awning kit, so I only need to buy the 3 figure of eight strips before trying this out ? :help

Yes to both questions. You only need 3 figure of eight strips and the kador is the one that is already part of the Kela.

You will find that 3 figure of eight strips are about 100mm short of the full length of the Kela strip, but it will work fine. However, to get a very good solution, I have added a 100mm section to the 3 strips and strung them together by drilling little holes at their ends and knotting them with nylon cord. This keeps them together and makes it easy to thread them onto the Kela kador and it also fits well onto the top of the fixed awning.

Hope that this helps.

logyk said:
Just insert 3 figure of eight strips into the Kela Kador channel

Just so I can get this clear , is the Kela Kador channel part of the Kela awning kit, so I only need to buy the 3 figure of eight strips before trying this out ? :help

Correct, you only need to buy the fig 8s.

The awning has a bead on it which fits into the figure of eight.
Procedure is to slide the fig 8s onto the awning bead and then slot onto the top of the pull out awning lip.