Valuing for Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
sebking

sebking

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
This is not a for sale ad! But how do I go about getting a real world private sale price before I put the Cali up for sale? WBAC gives a value but not for the extras etc, Parkers again the same but neither give me a lot of confidence. Would search ads around the place but there's not a lot of similar for sale. If I put the spec here and ask for advice will I face the wrath of the Admins!?

We are in the same position. You need to look at cali for sale on this forum & perhaps auto trader.
We will make our own decision based on above values & what is selling.

You need to decide what you need/would like to get back for the sale.

Then compare to others posted as private sale vs van reseller.

Then decide on what you are prepared to accept as the bottom line.

Go for a best price for a week or so, then if unsold, re-advertise with a reduced banner.

Now is probably a tad early for the summer camping crowd.....depends how desperate you are for a sale and some money in the bank!

Between 30 and 40k for a 5.1 140SE. Depends on spec, mileage, conditon, servicing, age etc. Just don't dream your going to get what you paid for it 10 years ago like some. Be realistic. :thumb

Between 30 and 40k for a 5.1 140SE. Depends on spec, mileage, conditon, servicing, age etc. Just don't dream your going to get what you paid for it 10 years ago like some. Be realistic. :thumb

List price on a 2010 140Se was £39,000.00 before discount, so not a totally unrealistic to dream of getting back what was paid....

The extras are generally worth nothing extra, certainly not at WBAC but will help for a private sale. It's a difficult age of van to sell, too old for a main dealer sale & at the top end of where most private buyers are comfortable.

Ebay will get wide coverage but be prepared for the scammers & time wasters.

I would stick it on here at a few £K above what you think it's worth & prepare to haggle, prices now will be on the up from now until the summer. Easter is usually a good time to sell as people tend to have days free to spend on looking at vans.

Last edited:
I always find Parkers a good option - closer to dealer "book" prices and a good starting point. You can get from their site. WBAC is basically the lowest they can get away with, usually bottom book. Look at any dealer price and it is essentially always top book - private price is generally bang in the middle. We sold a car recently and used Arnold Clark and they were very fair and 1200 quid more than WBAC. Of course you need to take into account "market conditions", high or low, and actual sales prices of second hand ones on here are also a datum point.

List price on a 2010 140Se was £39,000.00 before discount, so not a totally unrealistic to dream of getting back what was paid....
Would you pay that for a 2010? I wouldn't and can't endorse anyone else paying 39K for a 13 year old entry level Cali. Just my opinion.

If its only got the comedy vw long serving interval and never had a clutch & flywheel change or new leisure batts. Or a cambelt in last couple of years.
I paid £31k for a 2012 140hp se that was v. Tired last june with 87k. I budgeted 3-5k in renovations and spent 6k. Thats diy. Id look for a mint van of same age as yours with similar mileage and history. And adjust your price from that. At time i bought their were similar vans with better history/lower mileage but they were 44k and too expensive. If you want to sell be realistic with price and its history. If you ask crazy price it will be unsold for months.

Would you pay that for a 2010? I wouldn't and can't endorse anyone else paying 39K for a 13 year old entry level Cali. Just my opinion.
No I wouldn't, but presumably if you've had it only 10 years you bought second hand & presumably paid a fair bit less than £39k for it ? as back then they did depreciate a bit, hence not totally unreasonable to get back what you paid, I didn't say what the original owner paid.

If I was guessing, if it looks good after a polish & is sensible mileage low to mid £30s would be a possibility. Especially if there's no roof bubbling.

Mid £20s seems to be entry price & that tends to be for battered mega mile ones sold in the depths of winter.

Take the price you paid for it, lets say 43k then look at all
the fun you've had with it.
3 holidays per year + 8 long weekends away, also using the fridge at christmas
time and using it as a home office/spare room.
Thats got to be worth about 3k per year. So with my calculations, if its 13 years old
you wouldn't be loosing if you sold it for 4 grand :D

Having said that, applying the same calculation to my van would mean
I'd have to give someone about 15k to take it off my hands.:D

so somewhere between 20 and 30 k then! will have a think and get it listed.

so somewhere between 20 and 30 k then! will have a think and get it listed.
Don't go too low to start, look on here & auto trader - there is very little for sale under £35k unless you want a beach or LHD.

This is not a for sale ad! But how do I go about getting a real world private sale price before I put the Cali up for sale? WBAC gives a value but not for the extras etc, Parkers again the same but neither give me a lot of confidence. Would search ads around the place but there's not a lot of similar for sale. If I put the spec here and ask for advice will I face the wrath of the Admins!?
I had 705 looks, I read, at my 6.1 advert. One sms asking for a discount, after a week, and only one serious about buying which they did (after a day) and because i did not get up early swindled my wife out of 1k. So good luck. Mine had plenty of extras too. I think you can forget getting anything for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back