Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

URGENT HELP REQUIRED - Now sorted

BMVS-Camper-Hire

BMVS-Camper-Hire

Camperhire
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hello all

I have an urgent problem with one of my hire California's which is presently down in Cornwall.

The customer is saying that the tap isn't working. The fresh water tank is full up, and when the tap is operated all he can hear is the tap relay clicking. I've asked him to do the obvious thing like check the main isolator is on and he has even tried it with the engine running.

Anyone had this fault? We haven't to date, hence the question??

Re: URGENT HELP REQUIRED

Has he checked the fuses ??
To answer the next question, no am afraid I don't know which one it is !

We are doing that as we speak on a Cali in our workshop

Oli,

Sorry to hear the bad news mate. Always on a Saturday eh.

I don't have my Cali yet so I can't speak from experience but I've had a look at some documentation I have. Both leisure batteries are connected in series so if other things are working that are supplied by the batteries then I'd say the main supply is correct, equally if he can hear the relay clicking the switch in the Tap is working and has power to it.

What does the tank level indicator in the front suggest WRT to the level of water? If the level sender has failed does it have a secondary back up to prevent the pump running and running dry?

I'll keep looking mate. :thumb

Oli,

You probably know this already but I've looked at the CCT diagram and it appears the pump is fed from a fused supply via the tap switch and then a common ground.

Another thought -

If the waste tank is full does the level sender prevent the tap running and hence filling an already full up tank?

All sorted. 5 amp fuse under passenger seat - simples!

I'll get a picture so people know which one.

Thanks for help. Customer is happy

Good news then.

I was just looking at the fuse details in the supplement. :thumb

I was contemplating replacing the fuse for my water pump a couple of days ago - there are 2 x 5 amp fuses in the fuse box under the passenger seat, but didn't round to figuring out which one it was, cos the pump kicked in before I had to replace the fuse.

Reason for not replacing was ... put 5 litres in fresh water tank; ran tap; no joy; faff about a bit (read manual, stare at fuses); try again; still no joy; put another 5 litres in tank; try again (as soon as 2nd 5 litres added) - tap springs in to life!

So, is there:

1. a minimum volume required in tank (5 litres seems plenty - it's 15% of the tank)?
2. a delay between putting in water and pump kicking in?

[ I know none of this helps, given it was the fuse, but thought I'd tag my experience to this thread for future readers ]

Steve that sort of rings a bell with me too
I emptied my tank yesterday and refilled it, turned on the water and nothing I kept turning it on so I could hear it click and suddenly it sprung into life definite delay :barmy :barmy

URGENT HELP REQUIRED

From my extensive Cali use, I think if you run the tank dry then when refilled there seems to be a delay in water coming out of the tap. It's a case of worrying about a fuse blown or blowing a fuse due to tap being on. Then water flows......

swigle said:
I was contemplating replacing the fuse for my water pump a couple of days ago - there are 2 x 5 amp fuses in the fuse box under the passenger seat, but didn't round to figuring out which one it was, cos the pump kicked in before I had to replace the fuse.

Reason for not replacing was ... put 5 litres in fresh water tank; ran tap; no joy; faff about a bit (read manual, stare at fuses); try again; still no joy; put another 5 litres in tank; try again (as soon as 2nd 5 litres added) - tap springs in to life!

So, is there:

1. a minimum volume required in tank (5 litres seems plenty - it's 15% of the tank)?
2. a delay between putting in water and pump kicking in?

[ I know none of this helps, given it was the fuse, but thought I'd tag my experience to this thread for future readers ]

There is a bank of three fuses, 10,5,5. It's the middle 5 amp that runs the pump.

Not sure why this one blew. This California is one month old with 1500 miles or so, been out 2-3 times on rent. The tank was filled and tap checked as part of the pre-hire handover. Very strange but all sorted now :thumb

Our tanks are always flushed through between rentals and then refilled prior to going out.

We will check it on return, maybe book it into to SMg if it happens again.

Calikev said:
Steve that sort of rings a bell with me too
I emptied my tank yesterday and refilled it, turned on the water and nothing I kept turning it on so I could hear it click and suddenly it sprung into life definite delay :barmy :barmy

BerndRos said:
From my extensive Cali use, I think if you run the tank dry then when refilled there seems to be a delay in water coming out of the tap. It's a case of worrying about a fuse blown or blowing a fuse due to tap being on. Then water flows......

Probably due to the system being dry and the little pump having to get the water up to the tap.

Thanks for all the advice here. I am in Salamanca and had no fresh water. Tried looking at the fuse - oh what fun the engineers must have had when they put the fuses there. I now have three right angle joints in my right arm. As the fuse was ok, I looked at the rest of the advice, and went for the "blow down the pipe" approach. Worked a treat.
Thanks all.
David

Little update on this one. We have had a couple of issues with this throughout the year, but have always supplied a spare fuse, and shown customers which one to replace, but until now found no obvious reason for it blowing. To be fair its only gone a couple of times.

Anyway last week Dean informed me we had no water in this particular Cali, so I asked my workshop to investigate, before we sent it off to SMG incase it was a nice quick fix. It wasn't a quick fix, the fuse was fine, but the internal pump was totally burnt out.

It is presently at SMG having it replaced under warranty :thumb

Hello, do You have photo which was fuse of the water pump ?

Hello, do You have photo which was fuse of the water pump ?
1. This thread is 9 yrs old, since the last post.
2. The water pump fuse is normally a 5 amp fuse. Where it is positioned depends on the vehicle model you have. On the T5/5.1/6 the fuse is under the Drivers seat LHD or passenger seat RHD.

Back