Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

upstairs bed

D

deanwilliams

Vehicle
T5 Beach
hi everyone im on my first trip in my new beach this weekend and im thinking the upstairs bed maybe
the most comfy I have a diesal heater in the van and I was wondering does it send any
heat upstairs if left on all night I haven't yet got a pop top cover so im wondering if the heater will do the job

Yes at this time of year I doubt you’ll need heater on more than level 1 and I bet you end up turning it off during the night.

On a properly cold winter night (UK, not the Alps) the amount of heat that seeps upstairs is limited but even then we never bother with a topper.

It's always cooler up top even with heater on and heat rising etc. But there's a mattress and roof lining block g most of it. I find level 4 on the heater and I'm too warm up there. Level 2 is about right. The dog sleeps downstairs but he doesn't use a quilt. He says it's warm down there on level 2.

IMG_20190414_224900.jpg

The California defies science. Heat doesn’t rise for some reason.

The temperature difference up top is significantly cooler than down below.

The California defies science. Heat doesn’t rise for some reason.

The temperature difference up top is significantly cooler than down below.

The heat does rise , but in the Cali pop-top it also slips away very quick ... ;)

To have a good sleep it may not be to warm .

At what themp. you sleep at home in your bedroom , we keep a window open most the time (not when freezing or rainstorm )

@flying banana , are you sure thats not a selfie ? :D

This helps. Just remember to open something to vent while cooking if you normally rely on these. 69D89291-3EA5-467C-830F-F6BA22BC7777.jpeg

Recently had to have one of the upstairs bed hinges replaced after breaking it. Took the dealer 3 days and cost £170. How did it happen? When the bed is up, there is a ledge created on top of the wardrobe unit. My wife who sleeps downstairs put her toiletries bag on the ledge. When I came to lower the bed in the morning, i didn't notice the bag, and being trapped there, forced that corner of the bed up and broke the hinge.

Some people build a contraption like this one. You can even buy one from a store. But to be honest, I havent yet needed it.

20201129_093615_small-1.jpg

Recently had to have one of the upstairs bed hinges replaced after breaking it. Took the dealer 3 days and cost £170. How did it happen? When the bed is up, there is a ledge created on top of the wardrobe unit. My wife who sleeps downstairs put her toiletries bag on the ledge. When I came to lower the bed in the morning, i didn't notice the bag, and being trapped there, forced that corner of the bed up and broke the hinge.
We just did the very same She left her iPhone in the same place and snapped the hinge. Think I’ll try get the part and replace myself

Some people build a contraption like this one. You can even buy one from a store. But to be honest, I havent yet needed it.

20201129_093615_small-1.jpg

What on Earth is going on here? Is this something to do with Elon Musk and his spaceship?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What on Earth is going on here? Is this something to do with Elon Musk and his spaceship?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In the months of waiting for our Cali last year, I’m guilty of constructing a snorkel for heating upstairs more efficiently. Something to do and cheap with bits from a DIY store.

Used it once to try it out and it worked well but not used it since. However, I will take it to the Outer Hebrides soon along with our Pucer thermal pop-top wrap just in case it gets very cold.

Back