Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Upstairs bed help

C

CALROE1

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Had our first night in Cali last night slept on top bed now see why people use toppers we are seeking help which are best toppers and value for money thanks Sheila and Michael

We use a Zonesleep. It is excellent in all temperature and is very comfortable.

We're in the process of replacing the upstairs mattress with the 2" memory foam one from Comfortz - benefit is you can leave it up there with the roof down (unlike a topper). It should arrive tomorrow so will let you know how we get on.

We also use the Zonesleep for downstairs and I must say it transforms the bed, we now plan to purchase one for upstairs too.

These are expensive but you cant put a price on a good nights sleep and the way we look at it is its the cost of just a couple of nights in a good hotel

Thanks for replies will wait and see how you go with the comfortz has it can be left in place when roof down thanks.

A lot depends on if you can get on with memory foam I went for the ZoneSleep because memory foam makes me too hot. The ZoneSleep & comfortz are two totally different products.

We had the so called comfort mattress from VW but could not get on with it as it is very hard and nothing like a real bed, sold it on Ebay which helped pay for the zonesleep

Hi Folks,

We've disptached quite a few 2" memory foam replacement roof mattresses out this last two weeks - it'd be good to see how you guys get on with them :thumb and don't forget the photos! :D

Cheers
Nick

We have the original mattress, a 1" memory foam topper plus the zonesleeper :crazy I need to explain........i slipped a disk so all of this is needed. Its just the poor hubby has to haul it all up to the top bed when we go off on our travels.....still he gets all the comfort too!
But despite having all of the above i would love to have a proper sprung mattress up there. Any ideas anyone :!:

Hi Nick

Thanks for the very comfy 2" memory foam bed replacement the quality is excellent and very well made, great long overdue purchase. Do you make a topper cover for the rock and roll lower bed?

Rother-20140411-00058 (2).jpg

I use a thin IKEA topper and a fake sheepskin type mattress cover from Dunelm and a jersey fitted sheet. Very comfortable and I can leave it in place when lowering the roof.

Bleur fleur said:
I use a thin IKEA topper and a fake sheepskin type mattress cover from Dunelm and a jersey fitted sheet. Very comfortable and I can leave it in place when lowering the roof.

I'm about to buy a topper and I was tempted by copying your approach or alternatively get a Zonesleep topper. Any idea why the thin 6mm Ikea topper + Sheepskin can stay on the bed with the roof lowered and the ZS topper cant when i think it's about the same depth?

The upstairs ZoneSleep was tested with the roof down and the roof closed symbol came up on the control panel.On further inspection the roof at the back was raised by a couple of mm nothing serious but it was deemed to air on the side of caution and say it can't. I do leave mine up top
And have done for a year without any problem.but ZoneSleep made the decision to say not.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll get one and give it a go :thumb

comfortz said:
Hi Folks,

We've disptached quite a few 2" memory foam replacement roof mattresses out this last two weeks - it'd be good to see how you guys get on with them :thumb and don't forget the photos! :D

Cheers
Nick

Have just road-tested our replacement mattress; to look at is almost exactly the same as the original apart from the main part being split in two. Seems very well made and like it will last. Most importantly my wife and I spent 3 VERY comfortable nights on it. The original used to give us both really bad back-ache - no sign with the Comfortz mattress. Only very slight niggle would be the light retaining strap being off-centre so not easy to use through the hole in the safety net, nothing serious though. All in all a great buy and another great Comfortz product. Highly recommended. Thanks Nick.

Guy.

Calikev: am I correct in understanding that you have used the original VW upstairs mattress PLUS an upstairs Zonesleep and closed the roof without any damage to roof or the hydraulics in over 12months use? I'm not sure if I have the nerve to try this, I hear that a bent roof is an expensive repair!!

As an alternative option, I was measuring up today and found that the original VW mattress is 5 CM thick. The Zonesleep is approx. 3CM thick plus my original memory foam topper (which I no longer use) is 2CM. My thought is to use these two together ( ie same total thickness as the VW mattress) and dump the original VW mattress. This would mean that I could close the roof with complete confidence and save significant valuable boot space.
Obviously this set up needs checking out for comfort over a few days actual use, but we have been very impressed with the Zone sleep, so I think it should work.

Has anyone else tried this or similar configuration? Any thoughts on how it might work?

Hi. I have left the ZoneSleep topper in place with the roof down I think it would only cause damage if it was an irregular shape the topper is flat so I wasn't too concerned.It was my choice to do it as ZoneSleep reccomend you don't leave it in place.I would be interested to
See how you get on with your idea :thumb

mike&agnes said:
Calikev: am I correct in understanding that you have used the original VW upstairs mattress PLUS an upstairs Zonesleep and closed the roof without any damage to roof or the hydraulics in over 12months use? I'm not sure if I have the nerve to try this, I hear that a bent roof is an expensive repair!!

As an alternative option, I was measuring up today and found that the original VW mattress is 5 CM thick. The Zonesleep is approx. 3CM thick plus my original memory foam topper (which I no longer use) is 2CM. My thought is to use these two together ( ie same total thickness as the VW mattress) and dump the original VW mattress. This would mean that I could close the roof with complete confidence and save significant valuable boot space.
Obviously this set up needs checking out for comfort over a few days actual use, but we have been very impressed with the Zone sleep, so I think it should work.

Has anyone else tried this or similar configuration? Any thoughts on how it might work?

How did you get on?

Back