Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Upgrading Front Door Speakers

CPO77

CPO77

Hi all,
Does anyone know the process for gaining access to the front door speakers in your Cali?
In every other VW, the grilles come off but on my Cali, they are either VERY securely attached or the door cards have to come off :(
Any advice from anyone has been through this process would be muchly appreciated!
Thanks!

The speaker grills are plastic welded in and do t come off by themselves.

The door cards have to come out...

Easy enough to do if you have the nerve... As with most of the trim sections on the T5 they take more force than you are comfortable with...

I've a couple of spare leather trimmed cards that I removed as the work wasn't up to scratch.

M

Thanks Guys,
Cali is currently in a container on its way from UK. Had a good go at trying to get the door grilles off prior to loading without joy so figured the door cards will have to come off. Reluctant to inflict such major surgery on a new motor but looks like I'll have no option - always maintain door cards never go back on as well as they did in the factory!

Will be fitting;
Kenwood DNX520 (already installed)
JL Audio XD500 3 Ch Amp to be mounted under the driver seat
JL Audio TR650's in the front
JL Audio HO112 W3 enclosure under the rear bed

Looking forward to getting stuck in once it gets here - there are loads of install options, good access and loads of places to run cables by the looks of things :D

how did you go on fitting the rear speakers?i cannot seee how they are removed??cheers and your van looks stunning

jay61cali said:
how did you go on fitting the rear speakers?i cannot seee how they are removed??cheers and your van looks stunning

Thanks Jay. I have only got around to fitting front door speakers yet which was in itself a nightmare. The fronts are a peculiar sizing (not the standard 16.5cm - more like 17 - 17.5cm) so I had to get special adaptors made to mount the speakers in the original locations. I have pulled most of the interior apart on the Cali to complete the install and its not something I would like to do again - they are very well bolted together! I took some photos throughout the install and will maybe upload these at some stage.

To answer your question, I have only briefly looked at the rear speakers and see no obvious way of removing them from the outside or inside of the rear drop-down locker. The grilles look suspiciously like they are plastic welded in place. Grrrr! My rears are running off the head unit for now but once the cones start degenerating (and making noises they were not designed to make!) I will look further into replacing them. I can find nothing online about replacing the rear speakers on a Cali so will let you know...

Back