Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Upgrade Dilemma

Will definitely get some new van pics. Thanks again for your help - I can't seam to find the PM bit on your wondering star 'handle' not normally this much of a biff. Interesting re: inverter I think we are into simply camping too - just want to be able to charge stuff including my electric bike - a hair drier and toaster would be good maybe a kettle but you can get low wattage (1000w) versions of those...

How many plugs are there in the van - just 1 in the kitchen?
Private Messaging is only available between paid up VIP members, that's how the Forum hardware and software is paid for.

Private Messaging is only available between paid up VIP members, that's how the Forum hardware and software is paid for.
Thanks Welsh Gas - that makes sense - we sold our Beach in Nov. after 4 years and didn't renew. I have been drifting back on the forum as a nice place to be and contributing a bit and learning a lot. We might be buying a ID Buzz - will rejoin fully if we do. Thanks again.

Lithium battery maintainer fitted today at RoadPro.

Excellent service as normal.
Smudge07, Damon inspected my van regarding you install next wk, all ok.

I can’t believe how lucky that was today - thank you so much! I was on the phone to roadpro 10mins before you arrived saying you had been helping me out with picture and advice. Very good timing for me. I don’t want to mess this up and you have helped loads.

Hi WS - Thanks - picked the van up from Campersales on Monday and dropping off to Road Pro Wed. very happy. kids are super excited. I have a couple of days work in Humberside and drive home to the Highlands Monday.

Have rejoined as a VIP member - will ping you a PM

B491CEC7-587A-4047-8EEE-CE9ACF47613C.jpeg

7E3FDEA3-8AA6-439E-9588-57D62212D85A.jpeg

Hi WS - Tried to send this as PM but wouldn't let me send - odd as I have rejoined as a VIP member. Here is what I tried to send- I wonder if you might be able to PM me..

Great to have another Grand Canyon owner here - only driven 70 miles and so far very happy. Having said that the speakers are terrible unless you are on a voice call - been reading about the modification on the sprinter source forum to improve that. I can't believe how good the infotainment system is and how bad the sound is - really funny.. The suspension as we talked about definitely needs an upgrade too as we talked about on here - getting gently blown around on the motorway. We are totally spent up for a while now and it is total fine as it is for now .

We got the front wrapped with Xcel clear wrap to try and reduce the terrible front road rash you get up in Scotland. The van is in Bristol today getting Buzzweld to clear protect the underneath - again to make it more Scotland resistant :0)

Things to do:
Suspension
Pockets in dash
Speaker mod
Off road tyres and alloys
Maybe an aero hood:
One of these too:
Astroturf for carpet - we did that in our Cali - the kids can spill anything on it and we can hose is down
Spot lights

No rush for any of the above - will be a fun journey.

Hope your mods coming together.

I still can't believe how lucky it was that you were at Road pro - I owe you a few pints already and we haven't met. If you travels ever take you to Inverness shire let me know beers on me.

Andrew.

Hi WS - Tried to send this as PM but wouldn't let me send - odd as I have rejoined as a VIP member. Here is what I tried to send- I wonder if you might be able to PM me..

Great to have another Grand Canyon owner here - only driven 70 miles and so far very happy. Having said that the speakers are terrible unless you are on a voice call - been reading about the modification on the sprinter source forum to improve that. I can't believe how good the infotainment system is and how bad the sound is - really funny.. The suspension as we talked about definitely needs an upgrade too as we talked about on here - getting gently blown around on the motorway. We are totally spent up for a while now and it is total fine as it is for now .

We got the front wrapped with Xcel clear wrap to try and reduce the terrible front road rash you get up in Scotland. The van is in Bristol today getting Buzzweld to clear protect the underneath - again to make it more Scotland resistant :0)

Things to do:
Suspension
Pockets in dash
Speaker mod
Maybe an aero hood:
One of these too:
Astroturf for carpet - we did that in our Cali - the kids can spill anything on it and we can hose is down
Spot lights

I still can't believe how lucky it was that you were at Road pro - I owe you a few pints already and we haven't met. If you travels ever take you to Inverness shire let me know beers on me.

Andrew.
You can only send PMs between VIP members. It appears @Wondering Star is not a VIP member.

Roger - thanks for the info. testament to the forum that 2 former Cali. owners still hang out. WS contributes loads to the forum - I do a little too - not normally hijacking threads
You can only send PMs between VIP members. It appears @Wondering Star is not a VIP memb

Things to do:
Suspension
Pockets in dash
Speaker mod
Maybe an aero hood:
One of these too:
Spot lights

Andrew.
Nice van. You’ll have lots of fun. I love the astroturf idea though.

Smudge07
Good news I will PM you, I just need to rejoin as a VIP.
I migrated to another forum after selling the VW but to be honest this forum and the people are far nicer.
I'm also on the facebook Hymer owners group, there's a few Grand Canyon owners.
Happy to discuss mods, the radio sound quality is an easy fix.

There is a Hymercar group (which may be what you were referring to) more focused on panel vans.

Off to the NEC to check out the new 2023 models, still looking to size up from the Ocean I think. Anyone had any experience of the SWIFt range based on the Fiat Ducato van, we’ve been shown computer generated images of the new Carrera range, it’s got a very contemporary interior being released next week, which looks very well finished, but who knows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Off to the NEC to check out the new 2023 models, still looking to size up from the Ocean I think. Anyone had any experience of the SWIFt range based on the Fiat Ducato van, we’ve been shown computer generated images of the new Carrera range, it’s got a very contemporary interior being released next week, which looks very well finished, but who knows

I’m sure Swift are the bargain basement stuff from Blighty…???
Unless they’ve upped their game?

As @soulstyledevon says, Swift are very budget. They have quite a reputation for low quality. If you really must :)oops:) trade up then I would say have a good look at Hymer and Globecar. I have had both and would recommend both (but not the pop up roof unless you have no choice).

As @soulstyledevon says, Swift are very budget. They have quite a reputation for low quality. If you really must :)oops:) trade up then I would say have a good look at Hymer and Globecar. I have had both and would recommend both (but not the pop up roof unless you have no choice).

Hymer and Globecar also on radar, including the Hymer built compass CV40 plus Adria but TBH most are quoting 2024 delivery we’re also re-considering the 600 Grande Cali, although from reading owners reviews they still fall short on build quality and reliability. VW haven’t appeared to have learned from previous issues etc. hence the show visit, hopefully we will see something that grabs us, Nothing to view in Cornwall

Last edited:
Hymer and Globecar also on radar, including the Hymer built compass CV40 plus Adria but TBH most are quoting 2024 delivery we’re also re-considering the 600 Grande Cali, although from reading owners reviews they still fall short on build quality and reliability. VW haven’t appeared to have learned from previous issues etc. hence the show visit, hopefully we will see something that grabs us, Nothing to view in Cornwall

But glad to hear from anyone, advice, criticism on makes etc as it’s another fairly large investment and we’d like to get what’s right for us now if possible with as much knowledge / what to look for etc

Well VW didn’t even bother to attend the NEC show, so no Grande, Cali or Beach - given we can’t purchase or get anything fixed decided to jump ship in 2023. We can’t even see anything in Devon, despite having a California “Showroom” in Exeter they have no stock to view I’m guessing due to long term loans to customers who have “Issues” with their GC’s they’ve lent them out.

Well VW didn’t even bother to attend the NEC show, so no Grande, Cali or Beach - given we can’t purchase or get anything fixed decided to jump ship in 2023. We can’t even see anything in Devon, despite having a California “Showroom” in Exeter they have no stock to view I’m guessing due to long term loans to customers who have “Issues” with their GC’s they’ve lent them out.

Campervans are probably small fry for Volkswagen.
How many Polo’s or Golfs do you think they sell to California’s….
It’s not worth their time.

Re the GC the quality is very good but there are a few targeted areas of reliability, mainly the tap now updated and worked much better. I have had both 600 and currently 680 and no real issues that other new campervans/motorhome marques have. Price wise they are comparable like for like with other marques.
Currently touring Spain for seven weeks and all is fine, the Crafter/GC is probably more refined to drive/travel in when your on the move but they are all a compromise, money, features, space, internal colourings.

Anyway happy hunting as this is part of the fun.

I went to the NEC, lots of good options there, but if I were ever tempted to get something larger I’d go and look at this; saw it at the show, seems well made with a good layout (even had an oven).

Campervans are probably small fry for Volkswagen.
How many Polo’s or Golfs do you think they sell to California’s….
It’s not worth their time.
Also, the after sales hassle that dealers get from campervan owners must be disproportionate especially in the commercial dealershIps.

Back