Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Upgrade Dilemma

Well VW didn’t even bother to attend the NEC show, so no Grande, Cali or Beach - given we can’t purchase or get anything fixed decided to jump ship in 2023. We can’t even see anything in Devon, despite having a California “Showroom” in Exeter they have no stock to view I’m guessing due to long term loans to customers who have “Issues” with their GC’s they’ve lent them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We were there yesterday looking at a Cali replacement with onboard facilities. Came away impressed by the Sven Hedin and Columbus as alternatives to the GC. Was also very impressed with the Wingamm OASI 540; well executed interior space ideas and 5.4m long. California is a tough act to follow though.

Off to the NEC to check out the new 2023 models, still looking to size up from the Ocean I think. Anyone had any experience of the SWIFt range based on the Fiat Ducato van, we’ve been shown computer generated images of the new Carrera range, it’s got a very contemporary interior being released next week, which looks very well finished, but who knows

We thought the swift was very caravan style on the interior. We are a 3 person family so didn't see any pop tops from them.

The hymer had always been on my mind but the finish inside on the blue van on show was terrible looked really cheap.

The best we saw was the Adria, a few options including pop top and great space in the back. The twin sports 600 was our favourite but we couldn't see the SX version to check out the back bed space situation.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

We thought the swift was very caravan style on the interior. We are a 3 person family so didn't see any pop tops from them.

The hymer had always been on my mind but the finish inside on the blue van on show was terrible looked really cheap.

The best we saw was the Adria, a few options including pop top and great space in the back. The twin sports 600 was our favourite but we couldn't see the SX version to check out the back bed space situation.

Have a look at the Westfalia 540. We were very tempted, but couldn’t justify the extra £20k over the Hymer Blue Evo.
Personally find the interior fine, the only upgrade will be the front seat covers. The standard covers are a bit OAP, but actually like the look of the white units.
We thought the Adria looked a bit cheap and tacky…

i like the crafter type conversions even a grand cali but crypto market needs to recover a bit first

Hi, we also spent a day at the NEC show, very disappointed with the Hymer, several owners on here having moved from Cali’s but I agree the show Hymer was far from what I’d expected. Looked cheap ( it’s not ) interior was poorly finished. Re the Swift, the select was ummmm yea dated but the newly launched Carrera range was well finished, practical fabrics, good storage etc obviously it’s My opinion, real bonus was a full wet room which was very modern.

Not much of an overlander or camper for that matter.
First glance no payload probably why there's such limited fresh water and waste.
Chassis just not up to the weights that will be carried.
If I had the funds I'd by a proper one
Bimobl LBX365

Not much of an overlander or camper for that matter.
First glance no payload probably why there's such limited fresh water and waste.
Chassis just not up to the weights that will be carried.
If I had the funds I'd by a proper one
Bimobl LBX365
Looks like it’s from the mid 70s

I thought that! Really dated interior, nothing at all impressive.

To each their own. Woelcke and bimobil both have impressive vehicles.

An example of Woelcke T5:

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Don't get me wrong, I think these vehicle are brilliant however their main advantage being the use of higher quality heavy interiors that will take punishment and last forever is a real problem for a GVW of 3200.
Is this the strongest chassis available on a VW T6?
If you could take it to 4t with a double cab to transport the kids and fit in another bed it would be ideal.
I actually saw two of these on site in Molvano parked together, unfortunately they left before I could talk to the owners, they did look super cool though !

Don't get me wrong, I think these vehicle are brilliant however their main advantage being the use of higher quality heavy interiors that will take punishment and last forever is a real problem for a GVW of 3200.
Is this the strongest chassis available on a VW T6?
If you could take it to 4t with a double cab to transport the kids and fit in another bed it would be ideal.
I actually saw two of these on site in Molvano parked together, unfortunately they left before I could talk to the owners, they did look super cool though !

I think a slight upgrade of the permissible weight is possible. The Transporter chassis can be considered 'entry level'.

At the other end of the spectrum would be a Fuso. This vehicle is still relatively compact and is by default 7,5 t.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

This would be my sensible choice
Winnebago Ekko based on Ford Transit AWD.

Major plus's for me.
Poptop and decent travel seats for kids, criminal that many european manufacturers still allow kids to sit on such poorly designed travel seats.
Off grid capable, 190 L of water, 320ah Lithium/silent generator/200 watts solar standard.
Ability to add additional 320ah lithium with or without gen set gives option to run A/C for prolonged periods. South Europe in summer can get seriously hot, and its predicted to get warmer.
Fantastic outdoor kitchen.

Not everyone taste but an interesting option.

Smudge07
Good news I will PM you, I just need to rejoin as a VIP.
I migrated to another forum after selling the VW but to be honest this forum and the people are far nicer.
I'm also on the facebook Hymer owners group, there's a few Grand Canyon owners.
Happy to discuss mods, the radio sound quality is an easy fix.
Do tell on sound quality

Just about to upgrade speakers and add a sub to our Hymer Blue Evolution...
Just did the GC, don’t forget the sound deadening inside the door and door cards

Just did the GC, don’t forget the sound deadening inside the door and door cards
Thanks. Have a few boxes of dodo mat Dean hex and 15mm acoustic liner. Will be doing the sliding door and rear doors too as not a lot of insulation in them...

Busy weekend ahead!

Back