Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Underseal T5

E

Eastwood n Ang

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi All, we bought a 10 year old Cali Ocean at the beginning of the summer and have enjoyed various trips away. This morning there was a definite winter chill in the air which made me think about wintery conditions and corrosion!! Just wondering what other owners with similar age vehicles have done to preserve their undersides and what worked well and what didn't. Advice appreciated, Thanks

Previously had a t4 camper, spent ages cleaning back to bare steel and welding in fresh metal where needed. Then brush painted with epoxy. After a few years i found it lifting fram anywhere it was applied onto factory paint despite keying paint beforehand and wipe down with thinners. Bought a 2010 cali in may this year, rattle can touch up to one cill took the undertrays and arch liners off and sprayed all underside with lanogard. Used it on a few cars now, needs a top up maybe 18months to 2 years if protected by plastic liners. Only prep being pressure wash to remove dirt, let van dry then spray away. Dosent harm rubber or plastic so no masking needed.

Hi All, we bought a 10 year old Cali Ocean at the beginning of the summer and have enjoyed various trips away. This morning there was a definite winter chill in the air which made me think about wintery conditions and corrosion!! Just wondering what other owners with similar age vehicles have done to preserve their undersides and what worked well and what didn't. Advice appreciated, Thanks

Current van is 11 years old, no corrosion, no under seal.

Previous T4 was over 20 years old, odd bit of surface rust, no under seal.

Would say not required unless you get bored at the weekend!

Current van is 11 years old, no corrosion, no under seal.

Previous T4 was over 20 years old, odd bit of surface rust, no under seal.

Would say not required unless you get bored at the weekend!
Sometimes bored but never That bored, thanks for the response. Since my post I've had the van on the ramp at my local garage and am really pleased that the underside is in great condition, which is a great relief.

Underseal on new surface is OK but on older surfaces it can act as a moisture trap and cause accelerated corrosion.
Learned that the hard way with cars back in the 60's.

A thorough pressure wash and treatment of any rusted areas wouldn't go amiss. Not an easy task.
Do a bit of research into Classic car restoration for methods and products.

I have used Fluid film Lanolin-oil based product. I live in Scandinavia with a LOT of salt on the roads in the winter. After now 10 years knowledge with this product on different cars, I can highly recommend it.

Back