Underbed storage area

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I’ve bought the wood - 12mm ply. £24.05 for a 2440 x 1220 sheet and £20 for it to be cut into 20 pieces.

I might glue and screw the bits together tomorrow or it may have to wait until next week.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
IMG_2043.JPG One of the two trays before assembly.

IMG_2045.JPG
One of the two crates before assembly

IMG_2046.JPG Assembled.

With the bench pushed to the position to make the bed without further forward or backward movement, the 2 crates, gas box and two trays will sit between the multiflex and rear of the bench. The two trays will need to be removed to make the bed. They can be slid under the van at the sliding door.

For a two or three week summer holiday, with the four of us plus dog, everything we need, except G3 safari room and lower bed mattress, will fit below the level of the multiflex, or in window bags.

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
IMG_2050.JPG Snug but good fit. Removing the double 907 gas box is a bit tight.
IMG_2051.JPG
The top of the trays are 18mm below the top of the multiflex. Removing them is a bit tight, but the large handles help.
IMG_2052.JPG
The trays slide under the van.
IMG_2053.JPG
The lower bed can be made with the large crates in the van.

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I like your design. As previously discussed, that area between the Multiflex and the rear of the bench seat is awkward when touring and the bench is positioned ready to drop into bed mode.

Looking at it, all four trays could also be made from folded aluminum sheet. Three components 1. Base and both sides, 2 and 3 both ends either riveted or MIG welded in place. I might even have a go myself to use in conjuction with an 800mm pull out tray.

2haw

2haw

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
View attachment 36653 Snug but good fit. Removing the double 907 gas box is a bit tight.
View attachment 36654
The top of the trays are 18mm below the top of the multiflex. Removing them is a bit tight, but the large handles help.
View attachment 36655
The trays slide under the van.
View attachment 36656
The lower bed can be made with the large crates in the van.

Great job.

How easy is it to slide out the boxes either side of the gas bottle box? Or is the plan to lift these out?

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Great job.

How easy is it to slide out the boxes either side of the gas bottle box? Or is the plan to lift these out?

The gas box needs to come out before removing the large crates. Once the gas box is out, removing the crates is easy: slide sideways then pull out. The 28mm dowel grab handle is a sawn down broomstick handle. I drilled a 6mm deep 28mm diameter hole into the 12mm plywood for the grab handle, and screwed it so it is really securely held in place.

Lifting out from above will not be possible. The crates are 540mm deep at the base, and the gap between the MF board and seat back is 380mm.

Here's another picture of the crates and trays, showing the grab handles more clearly.
IMG_2048.JPG

Last edited:
Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I like your design. As previously discussed, that area between the Multiflex and the rear of the bench seat is awkward when touring and the bench is positioned ready to drop into bed mode.

Looking at it, all four trays could also be made from folded aluminum sheet. Three components 1. Base and both sides, 2 and 3 both ends either riveted or MIG welded in place. I might even have a go myself to use in conjuction with an 800mm pull out tray.

My next plan is to cut a 1500 x 370 board from 18mm MDF. This will sit on the trays, perfectly (haha) level with the multiflex board. This will create a level surface 1500 x 970 mm, expandable to 1500 x 1120mm by leaving small gaps, just big enough for two boys to use as a bed without lowering the bench seat. (Yes, I know 112cm is very narrow for a double bed, but they are only little boys.) It would be complex to make aluminium crates and trays capable of taking the load for use as a bed.

The 1500 x 370mm board will have folding legs, and can be used as a kitchen work bench.

If not required at all, with the trays removed, it can sit on the two large crates and the big bed made up.

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Will they be on a sliding rack...?

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
So accessing these crates is gonna be a big PITA...???

It is an awkward area of the boot. The area under the multiflex needs to be mostly clear to pull out the crates, but when camping we only have two child car seats there, so not really a problem.

Our priority, with four of us, is capacity, not ease of access. We now have a huge capacity, and I wish we had them before our year’s trip around Europe. Storing all our winter clothes during the summer months in one crate behind the bench seat which doesn’t need disturbing to make the bed would have been so useful.

GreggB

GreggB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
So accessing these crates is gonna be a big PITA...???

Anything packed in this area is a PITA to access!

Looks a good solution to maximising the available space while still been able to get it out when you need it. Couple of times this week I’ve misplaced an essential item in this black hole that’s required some digging to retrieve.
This can also result in the multiflex board release being knocked and two hours later you find the bed collapsing in the middle as the little flap has dropped!

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Got the multiflex extension or kitchen work table cut today from 18mm ply. In fact, I got two cut: 1500 x 380 mm and 1500 x 450 mm. This gives a fixed rear bed size of 150 x 96 cm or 150 x 103 cm. I’ll try the two boys out on it tomorrow.

I’ve ordered four folding legs for one of the MF extension/worktop tables. The board fits snugly on top of the two trays, but with the legs correctly attached it will be held securely in place with the legs tucked neatly within the tray cavities. The board sits 1 - 2 mm lower than the top of the MF, but once the trays and board are varnished this small drop should be even smaller.

5e10fd4482115b7192bcb36ca0fba67f.jpg

Crates to pack under the multiflex and multiflex extension.
From top to bottom:
Two 540 x 480 plywood crates
Two 750 x 380 plywood trays
Four muji drawers
Gas box for two 907 bottles
Double gas burner and grill

8c3689f20aed5395a56b11a30987c49e.jpg

Under the MF extension
Two varnished crates supporting two unfinished trays, with a gap between the crates for the gas box.

db5cfb42fe91e1705697efe9b0b74e5d.jpg

The two trays seen from above between the bench seat and multiflex. The bench seat is positioned so if dropped it will make the standard bed without the bench needing to be moved fore or aft.

f98826568dcfdf9ad79fd83bb76a2fa8.jpg

The MF extension in position.

a528ae18296d22c179895814a82c20dd.jpg

The boot fully packed with everything seen in the first photo.

Last edited:
Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Wow a good solution to a particular problem nice one...:thumb
I've just finished attaching the legs to the workbench/multiflex extension.
IMG_2091.JPG
I cut five centimetres off each leg, so the kitchen workbench is exactly the same height as the California picnic table. The workbench feels a little unstable, but I don't think it will easily be knocked over.

IMG_2092.JPG
The legs fold very flat and more by luck than judgement fit perfectly inside the cavity of the two trays. What is judgement rather than luck is the table top is now secure resting on top of the trays, and there is little chance of partial collapse with someone sleeping above.

IMG_2095.JPG
Plenty of room for two boys on the folded mattress.

Last edited:
Gary&Heather

Gary&Heather

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
That is absolutely brilliant I bet the two boys love it in the back by themselves.

Could I ask you are they MUJl Storage drawers, if so could you tell me what size they are or any reference number thanks in advance.
Gary.

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
That is absolutely brilliant I bet the two boys love it in the back by themselves.

Could I ask you are they MUJl Storage drawers, if so could you tell me what size they are or any reference number thanks in advance.
Gary.
The MUJI drawers are my best Beach buy. They fit perfectly after a few under multiflex handles are removed.

Two 44 x 55 x 24
One 44 x 55 x 18
One 44 x 55 x 30

The space under the multiflex is 48.2 cm. The rails are 7mm high, but as the MUJI stack the height of two boxes is 47.5 cm so they fit, just!

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
First serious setback on this project. The folding table is far too unstable to have any useful purpose.

The temporary solution is to rest the 45cm width multiflex extension on the trays and MUJI drawers.
IMG_2096.JPG
Not ideal, but stable and has the feel of a kitchen worktop. It will go nicely in the G3 residence (our Thule safari room). We will still need to take another table as the van's picnic table is not sufficiently large for four to eat comfortably.

2haw

2haw

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
After travelling 350 miles last night through France and getting to a campsite at 10.30, I really couldn't be bothered to unload the van of 3 kids bikes and all our camping gear and luggage to make the bed up so I thought I'd try the back seat rest in the folded flat forward position. Took 10 mins to move carseats and luggage about and then laid the foam mattress topper over the seat and the multiflex and as I'm short, laid sideways in the back with one of my daughters. My partner slept upstairs with our 4 and 12 years old. It was the best night sleep I've had in the van so far!!

Would definitely be ok for two boys to sleep comfortably downstairs occasionally without having to rearrange the whole van.

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
After travelling 350 miles last night through France and getting to a campsite at 10.30, I really couldn't be bothered to unload the van of 3 kids bikes and all our camping gear and luggage to make the bed up so I thought I'd try the back seat rest in the folded flat forward position. Took 10 mins to move carseats and luggage about and then laid the foam mattress topper over the seat and the multiflex and as I'm short, laid sideways in the back with one of my daughters. My partner slept upstairs with our 4 and 12 years old. It was the best night sleep I've had in the van so far!!

Would definitely be ok for two boys to sleep comfortably downstairs occasionally without having to rearrange the whole van.
Do I understand this correctly: you slept longways on the bench seat in table mode and multiflex, bed size about 150 x 120, with the mattress on top? I can see how that would work, but was unaware that the bench seat in table mode was the same height as the multiflex.

VW California Club