Ultimate summer tyre for a 4Motion and Mud / Wet Grass

Californication69

Californication69

Bill
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
With 2020 over and maybe some real life feedback on what is the ultimate summer tyre for life on a 4Motion.
Being a new comer to the world of Campervan, would welcome opinions of everyone on this awesome forum, as to what your ultimate summer tyre would be, money no object?
There are new tyre compounds becoming available and wondered what choice would be best for Spring / Summer usage.
Requirements: 18” 8J & able to drive on wet grass, maybe some mud, I am thinking the V groove and low rolling resistance, mates with Koni frequency response shocks.
I think the Palmerston 18” are able to fit a 255?
But any less would enable a slightly better MPG, but not massively as 4Motion would have a low MPG on any type of tyre.
(Winters will be running BFG AT K02 on 17”)

I have Michelin Latitude Cross which I am pleased with at the moment, figured they would be a good all round tyre.

I have Michelin Latitude Cross which I am pleased with at the moment, figured they would be a good all round tyre.
They are, however, real summer tyres. Hard rubber (good for bad roads in summer), too hard for good grip on wet roads in temperatures consequently below 7 degrees Celsius.
Question is, is that a real problem? Will we ever again have winters with temperatures below 7 degrees Celsius for prolonged periods of time?

We use the Latitude Cross as our summer tyres, and are still quite happy about them! For winters, we, too, use BFG T/A KO2's. The new type, the older didn't have the 3PMS symbol on them, only M+S, and were therefore not allowed as winters in e.g. Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Scandinavia (our favo winter destinations).

Last edited:
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5. Excellent summer tyres, both in wet and dry

They are, however, real summer tyres. Hard rubber (good for bad roads in summer), too hard for good grip on wet roads in temperatures consequently below 7 degrees Celsius.
Question is, is that a real problem? Will we ever again have winters with temperatures below 7 degrees Celsius for prolonged periodes of time?

We use the Latitude Cross as our summer tyres, and are still quite happy about them! For winters, we, too, use BFG T/A KO2's. The new type, the older didn't have the 3PMS symbol on them, only M+S, and were therefore not allowed as winters in e.g. Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Scandinavia (our favo winter destinations).
Yep, I have new version with 3PMS on

235/55/18 104V are a good option as opposed to the 255/45/18.
Slightly higher circumference that will give close (very) to 100% speedo accuracy and no problems with clearances.
Also less drag than 255 and more sidewall height for pothole impact.
Wide range of SUV versions available from all the top Brands, a sample - not necessarily the best price or range available.

235/55/18 104V are a good option as opposed to the 255/45/18.
Slightly higher circumference that will give close (very) to 100% speedo accuracy and no problems with clearances.
Also less drag than 255 and more sidewall height for pothole impact.
Wide range of SUV versions available from all the top Brands, a sample - not necessarily the best price or range available.

Thanks @B J G
That’s a good list for sure, and good price point too. Thank you

So general consensus is Latitude Plus is a good compromise for a summer tyre for motorway and then maybe some mud, but great on wet grass ?

Hi all. Before starting a new topic I hope my question is welcome here. So mud and grass it is. We have winter tyres and last winter we found out that they do the job very well. Our summer tyres were a problem today (Bridgestone Duravis as delivered by VW). The mud got stuck in all parts of the tyers making them slicks. I got stock on a, for me, normal field and had to call a Toyota Hilux to the rescue.

My question: for a 2x4 t6.1 that will do a lot of normal roads but would like to camp a few meters into the woods or fields and take some normal sad/mud roads, can you recommend a tyer?

To be clear: the roads we travel are all public roads wich can be travelled by normal cars (so no special all- or rough terrain). See pictures below. And yes I still need to get used to the dsg while driving these conditions ;-). And no I will not buy a 4motion (I would love to but ...).

2809F038-BB4B-4705-9C8F-FF28AF74D390.jpeg
6225836F-453F-4328-94E7-3D0C27493BCF.jpeg742500A9-A5FE-4046-A357-1A2B1A070950.jpeg702B1BD2-F5AC-470A-931B-6114F6412094.jpeg

Summer tyres are a design to give low resistance and produce good fuel emission figures.
All season tyres are good option on Cali's as they come with the Winter 3 Peak rating for all but severe winter conditions. They will get you out of most grass and mud areas that would be sensibly encountered. By that I mean if you can't walk on it without sinking in don't expect a 3 tonnes Cali to go there.

Most all season Brands have a V designed tread which isn't that different in principle to tractor tyres.
SUV versions are better as they have stronger sidewalls which are better suited to the Cali weight.
What is available relates to your rim diameter. 16,17" are well catered for 18" less so.

Back