Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tyres

S

Staff 2

Just having to put our first set of front tyres on our sportline wheels. Goodyears £215, Falcons £130 or can anyone recommend anything else?
Thanks

I believe michelin agilis 51 and continental vanco are also good. We have michelins front and original dunlops rear, but it looks like the dunlops are discontinued.

Can I suggest you have a look at Kumho? They are actually very good upper-mid range tyres, at very competitive prices. I have a tyre dealer friend who rates them very highly. I have them on my Sportline wheels and have been very pleased with them. We also have them on 2 other family cars.

By ringing around your Khumo dealers you should be able to get them for about £130 each, fitted. Be sure to get the correct weight rating. I've currently got my winter wheels and snow three on as we are in the Sierra Nevada. Spain.

I have Kumo on my cali and have done since the original continental wore out, am now on 3rd set of Kumho cost me £396 in Sept for a full set.

I happento to be in ATS yesterday on a work related issue. I asked a ball park question about 18" tyres and had to sit down!!

TBH... I knew they would be expensive but it was a bit of a shock £600+ Mind you our Galaxy was £400 +

Like the other running costs we now budget so it isn't as painful but hopefully that will be a while!

I managed to get 28k out of my front kumho and was expecting 40k plus out of the rears, but for transporting building materials and housemoving to SW France it took it's toll on the rears

Had problems with the now discontinued Dunlop SP tyres that were original fit on my cali. The tread sides started to crack around the circumference. Dunlop not really helpful, trying to pass blame onto dealership or storage conditions or even myself for over inflating. Really couldn't be bothered with all the blame hassle to prove faulty construction.
I replaced them all with Continental Vanco 2 and am very pleased with their performance to date - good grip, quiet and a smoother ride.

Hubert

We haven't fitted the Michelin Agilis tyres for a few years now as we kept finding that they were going out of shape and causing wheel bearing noises and vibrations. Would be worth looking at Hankooks which work out to be around £120 + VAT each. We have used a budget tyre made by Clear which have had pretty good results and work out around £97 + VAT each.

cheers

How about top end for a Cali?

Of course ours is new but it'll need tyres one day and something I won't go budget on it tyres!

Got Conti Sport Contact 3s all round on the BM and they are superb. I'm thinking possibly an all weather tyre might be good on ours once the Dunlops wear out?

Hubert said:
Had problems with the now discontinued Dunlop SP tyres that were original fit on my cali. The tread sides started to crack around the circumference. Dunlop not really helpful, trying to pass blame onto dealership or storage conditions or even myself for over inflating. Really couldn't be bothered with all the blame hassle to prove faulty construction.
I replaced them all with Continental Vanco 2 and am very pleased with their performance to date - good grip, quiet and a smoother ride.

Hubert

Same thing is now happening to my original equipment tyres - 16" Dunlop SP30 LT30s - at around 25000 and four years of use. Worse on the front, with just a bit at the back. Front ones need replacing anyway soon, but I was hoping that the rear ones would be good for another 10-15k. My local trusty garage owner described them as being "on too long", and said that he had seen worse. But given Hubert's comment I'm tempted to try something different. From what I've read here, I'm going to shop around for Vancos, Hankooks and Khumos.

I had two Conti Vancos put on the front on Monday and was initially concerned about extra road noise, however I can confirm there is no difference between these and the softer Dunlops and there is the added benefit of hopefully getting a few extra thousand miles out of them. All in all really pleased with them. As with all tyres make sure you shop around as price varies between £160 and £200

Martin said:
I had two Conti Vancos put on the front on Monday and was initially concerned about extra road noise, however I can confirm there is no difference between these and the softer Dunlops and there is the added benefit of hopefully getting a few extra thousand miles out of them. All in all really pleased with them. As with all tyres make sure you shop around as price varies between £160 and £200

Cool ... Nice martin :)

KernowLad said:
How about top end for a Cali?

Of course ours is new but it'll need tyres one day and something I won't go budget on it tyres!

Got Conti Sport Contact 3s all round on the BM and they are superb. I'm thinking possibly an all weather tyre might be good on ours once the Dunlops wear out?

Our Cali came with Conti Sport Contact 3s from the factory (on the optional 18 inch wheels)
Size is 255/45R18 XL

I just made the mistake of looking at what a set of tyres would cost. £250 / corner. Yikes!

Simon

shambly said:
I just made the mistake of looking at what a set of tyres would cost. £250 / corner. Yikes!

Simon

My A4 is due some new boots soon and I'm looking at that for each corner too (225 35 19). All 4 must be done at the same time due to quattro, your 4Mo will be the same.

225 seems narrow for 19" tyres - are you sure they aren't wider?!

I'd always swap all four tyres at once on an AWD vehicle; the Cali seems to be pretty light on it's rubber for such a heavy lump. Something like a Q7 (similar weight) utterly crucifies rubber.

I'd had less than 8k out of a set of rear CSC3s in the BM... :headwall. A hasty laser alignment extended that a fair bit but it's still 14k max. The fronts last ages!

KernowLad said:
225 seems narrow for 19" tyres - are you sure they aren't wider?!

Good spot, typo with the wrong ratio of 2's & 5's!! :laugh2 255 35 19

KernowLad said:
I'd always swap all four tyres at once on an AWD vehicle; the Cali seems to be pretty light on it's rubber for such a heavy lump. Something like a Q7 (similar weight) utterly crucifies rubber.

I'd had less than 8k out of a set of rear CSC3s in the BM... :headwall. A hasty laser alignment extended that a fair bit but it's still 14k max. The fronts last ages!

My current tyres are Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT which I wouldn't have from choice but apart from being very noisy they have lasted for 20k miles so far and still have a few mm left. I've had big problems with factory fit Dunlop SP Sport Maxx before which even the main dealers didn't reckon was the tyres at fault and replaced both front wheel bearings under warranty. :laugh2

John,

I think your Cali is similar vintage and spec to mine.

My Dunlops SP LT30-6 are 215/65R16C 106/104T 102H SP LT30-6

Assume your Kumhos (I think I've now learned to spell it) are the same? Do they have a particular model number or name?

Cheers

Chris

ChrisandPenney52 said:
Hubert said:

Hubert

Same thing is now happening to my original equipment tyres - 16" Dunlop SP30 LT30s - at around 25000 and four years of use. Worse on the front, with just a bit at the back. Front ones need replacing anyway soon, but I was hoping that the rear ones would be good for another 10-15k. My local trusty garage owner described them as being "on too long", and said that he had seen worse. But given Hubert's comment I'm tempted to try something different. From what I've read here, I'm going to shop around for Vancos, Hankooks and Khumos.

I did some checking round when my tyres started cracking and found that Dunlops seem to be prone to cracking especially along the tread. Mine were cracking at the edge of the tread after only 13,000 miles with still obviously plenty of tread. A number of car owners and even motorcycle owners reported cracking tyres. Some said that the tyres were still safe but who in their right mind would ignore defects like this.
The bad news for me is that my new van has the latest version of Dunlops on. I shall be keeping a close eye on them. The van came to the dealers and straight into my ownership so it spent no time in storage. Being a motorcyclist and knowing how crucial correct pressures are for handling I am always checking the pressures, over inflation or poor storage of the vehicle can't be the excusre this time.

Hubert

Looking for a cheap new or part worn 235/55 R17 tyre guys just to put on as a spare ...
Any input would be appreciated :)