Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tyres - Scottish Winter

Muppet006

Muppet006

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi

Just need a bit of advice regarding tyres and driving in Scotland in winter.

We are spending Christmas week in Aviemore this year (not sleeping in the California) and wondered whether anyone has experience of driving in this area at this time of year and whether it would be necessary to use all-season or winter tyres, i have been thinking of buying a set anyway but to be honest could do without the extra expense at the minute.

Any comments would be appreciated especially on the driving conditions, I understand this varies from year to year but i'm sure there's a few members on here from that area.

I have also considered leaving on my current tyres (new dunlop sport maxx tt - highly recommended by the way) and buying a set of snow chains just in case.

Thanks

You would be better off with snow socks than chains, less space, less weight, easier to put on.

No one can advise you on Aviemore other than a weather forecaster a few days before, the climate can change dramatically year over year and the weather vary day by day.

I was there in January this year and very grateful for my winter tyres, the snow, or slush, was hubcap deep and in places frozen. On the other hand I have also been there at Christmas when the weather was awful, wet, misty, around 10 degrees and not a sign of snow anywhere, not even on Cairngorm itself, mud was the bigger threat than snow.