Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tyres for a 6.1 4motion

M

MSG

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hi all. I’m just about to place an order for an ocean 6.1 but am totally confused by which threes I should match the van with?
I’m thinking devonport 17inch but am lost on which tyre to match them with - would be grateful for any help please?

many thanks.

Theres been a thread on here last week where vans have turned up without the all season tyres that had been ordered.
There are only two choices on the (ocean) configurator, Normal or All season. Most prefer All season, some just go for ordinary & pair them with a set of winter wheels and some just stick with normal tyres all year round. Depends on where & when you intend using your van.

Last edited:
I'd go for all season if you can actually order them. We did just that on our new T6.1 and took delivery two weeks ago. It didn't come with the the all weathers (even though we ordered them) and VW are not rectifying apart from a refund of the option cost.

We find the standard 215 section tyres (17 inch) really hard and unpleasant by comparison, so we will be looking for some 235 tyres in due course ourselves.

Explanation from VW was that they needed to change the tyres back to 215 due to WLTP emissions compliance. No other explanation given.

I took delivery of my 204 4m with the 'wrong' tyres three weeks ago. My dealer is telling me that they're still waiting for a response from VW as to how to resolve this. It's been referred back to Germany I believe.

I took delivery of my 204 4m with the 'wrong' tyres three weeks ago. My dealer is telling me that they're still waiting for a response from VW as to how to resolve this. It's been referred back to Germany I believe.
I'd go for all season if you can actually order them. We did just that on our new T6.1 and took delivery two weeks ago. It didn't come with the the all weathers (even though we ordered them) and VW are not rectifying apart from a refund of the option cost.

We find the standard 215 section tyres (17 inch) really hard and unpleasant by comparison, so we will be looking for some 235 tyres in due course ourselves.

Explanation from VW was that they needed to change the tyres back to 215 due to WLTP emissions compliance. No other explanation given.
This could be the reason my new order (placed 2 weeks ago, in Switzerland) does not allow the all-seasons to be ordered

Have you tried 215 vs 235 back to back? As in, nothing else different apart from this? (both summer tyres, same suspension set-up etc...)

When I ordered I search around on this forum and found mixed opinion, ranging from some peeps preferring one to the other, and some not being able to tell the difference between the two. I asked the dealer who said there was no difference in ride.

Overall I understood it was purely cosmetic, with the 235 looking slightly nicer to some people's eyes because they're a little wider.

I'd be really surprised if there was such a difference where one was as you described (not trying to tell you how you feel!) - but from a engineering point of view hardness is the type of rubber, which won't be different for 215 vs 235.

Genuinely interested not trying to prove you wrong :thumb

Have you tried 215 vs 235 back to back? As in, nothing else different apart from this? (both summer tyres, same suspension set-up etc...)

When I ordered I search around on this forum and found mixed opinion, ranging from some peeps preferring one to the other, and some not being able to tell the difference between the two. I asked the dealer who said there was no difference in ride.

Overall I understood it was purely cosmetic, with the 235 looking slightly nicer to some people's eyes because they're a little wider.

I'd be really surprised if there was such a difference where one was as you described (not trying to tell you how you feel!) - but from a engineering point of view hardness is the type of rubber, which won't be different for 215 vs 235.

Genuinely interested not trying to prove you wrong :thumb
Sort of!

We had 235 all weather tyres on our last T6 Ocean 204 and we now have the 'van contact' 215 tyres on the new T6.1 Ocean 204 4motion.

The 215 tyres run at 10psi more than the 235 tyres and we do think we can feel that difference inside the vehicle. The 215 tyres do seem to generate more noise and feel slightly more harsh than the 235 all weathers we had before.

I suspect the 215 tyres will give slightly better economy than 235 tyres, but that is a trade off we'd be happy to have...

Neither of our vans have been/are lowered at all.

Hope that helps.

Interesting, interesting... can you remember which brands of tyres?

I still don't know whether to ask the dealer to switch from 215 to 235, and don't want any excuse on the order changing and loosing my slot in the build queue!

I still don't know whether to ask the dealer to switch from 215 to 235, and don't want any excuse on the order changing and loosing my slot in the build queue!
yes - we have continental van contact on our 215s and the 235s were Goodyear Vector 4season (gen2 I believe)

Just on changing your order, you can only do that if you don’t have a provisional build week allocated. If you do change, you don’t lose your place in the queue, as you were never in it. It may be the new option will enable your order to be built quicker, but that is a dark art that’s impossible to game

As VW Germany are not supplying All/4 Season tyres at the moment, I suspect the better route may be to have standard tyres delivered and fit 4 Season tyres as soon as possible after delivery.

Then sell the new original ones on, either on the forum or on E-Bay.

Alan

As VW Germany are not supplying All/4 Season tyres at the moment, I suspect the better route may be to have standard tyres delivered and fit 4 Season tyres as soon as possible after delivery.

Then sell the new original ones on, either on the forum or on E-Bay.

Alan
I'm thinking the same Alan, over here it'll be delivered on summer tyres either way, so i'll anyway need to get a 2nd set when winter comes around, and at that point will either go for classic winters, maybe all-seasons, or the wildcard: all-terrains !

Just on changing your order, you can only do that if you don’t have a provisional build week allocated. If you do change, you don’t lose your place in the queue, as you were never in it. It may be the new option will enable your order to be built quicker, but that is a dark art that’s impossible to game
Good to know, will think on that

yes - we have continental van contact on our 215s and the 235s were Goodyear Vector 4season (gen2 I believe)
so my simple brain would think the all-season would be softer rubber, in order to not harden in cold conditions, which could explain your experience