Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tyre Pressures

Norfolk Jim

Norfolk Jim

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Ok so I know it's probably been posted a few times but just seeing what folk do.

Now mine isn't a Cali (still trying to find the right one but prices seem crazy) but is a first rate conversion T5 and came with standard van wheels with covers. Tyres were 215/65 R16 Hankook RA28E which were fine and after a while I got the pressures just about right (dealers had them right up at 60 when serviced - felt like travelling on steel so dropped them quite a bit) they lasted well - ride wasn't too bad. I was then offered a spotless set of Thunder 17" alloys with excellent Michelin Primacy 235/55 R17 and need to sort out pressures. Now for 6 months prior to conversion by the old established Leisuredrive in Bolton it was a basic T28 84 van (Leisuredrive never seemed to use anything other than basic vans and still seem to) so load rating 2800kg. So with full tank of fuel and basic kit plus me had it weighed and it came out as 2458kg (awning, food, 2 bikes, wife and our clothes is only going to add around 175 - 200kg) so basically it'll be around 2650kg fully laden.

Attached is the tyre pressure label from door shut and I'm wondering about setting them at 45 all round - does that make sense? Picture of original 16's and new 17's

Tyre pressures.jpg

IMG_1550.JPG

Thunder 17s.jpg

Ok so I know it's probably been posted a few times but just seeing what folk do.

Now mine isn't a Cali (still trying to find the right one but prices seem crazy) but is a first rate conversion T5 and came with standard van wheels with covers. Tyres were 215/65 R16 Hankook RA28E which were fine and after a while I got the pressures just about right (dealers had them right up at 60 when serviced - felt like travelling on steel so dropped them quite a bit) they lasted well - ride wasn't too bad. I was then offered a spotless set of Thunder 17" alloys with excellent Michelin Primacy 235/55 R17 and need to sort out pressures. Now for 6 months prior to conversion by the old established Leisuredrive in Bolton it was a basic T28 84 van (Leisuredrive never seemed to use anything other than basic vans and still seem to) so load rating 2800kg. So with full tank of fuel and basic kit plus me had it weighed and it came out as 2458kg (awning, food, 2 bikes, wife and our clothes is only going to add around 175 - 200kg) so basically it'll be around 2650kg fully laden.

Attached is the tyre pressure label from door shut and I'm wondering about setting them at 45 all round - does that make sense? Picture of original 16's and new 17's

View attachment 81991

View attachment 81992

View attachment 81993
This is a trick I was told many years ago.
Set the tyres to a reasonable pressure.
Use chalk to make a thick line across the tread of each tyre and go for a drive.
If the chalk is scrubbed off in the centre of the line, pressure too high. Reduce pressure and repeat.
If the chalk is scrubbed off cross the tread, pressure OK.
If the chalk is scrubbed off on the ends of the line, not the centre, pressure too low. Increase pressure and repeat.
So, start at 44 and carry out the test on next trip.
Pressures may be different front to back.

I would have started at 49psi all round if going camping - as thats what the door states for fully loaded & you are not far short of that weight wise.
Even if you've dumped the Mrs & camping gear for everyday use, I still wouldn't drop it to the lowest pressures as the conversion will have added some weight.

Now that's an interesting thing - thank you. I'll give it a go. Fine for rears but what happens on the front when you turn a corner as we have a few before a straight section of road? Does it matter what speed?

I would have started at 49psi all round if going camping - as thats what the door states for fully loaded & you are not far short of that weight wise.
Even if you've dumped the Mrs & camping gear for everyday use, I still wouldn't drop it to the lowest pressures as the conversion will have added some weight.
Hmmm.. I wondered about that but we'll only be around 2/3rds loaded weight........ Going to tyr WG's idea first

Now that's an interesting thing - thank you. I'll give it a go. Fine for rears but what happens on the front when you turn a corner as we have a few before a straight section of road? Does it matter what speed?
No just drive normally.
Rears would be affected more by corners, as you are dragging them around to an extent. Front tyres should be steering around the corner.
On my 4motion I run at 44psi, on 235 17" tyres. Evan wear front and rear and they took 20,000 miles to drop to 4mm tread depth. As you, just 2 of us, loaded for trips and also used as daily driver.

No just drive normally.
Rears would be affected more by corners, as you are dragging them around to an extent. Front tyres should be steering around the corner.
On my 4motion I run at 44psi, on 235 17" tyres. Evan wear front and rear and they took 20,000 miles to drop to 4mm tread depth. As you, just 2 of us, loaded for trips and also used as daily driver.
Ok fair enough - I'll give it a go; got plenty of chalk :)

No just drive normally.
Well I gave it a go at 45 all round and put several chalk lines right across each tyre. Drove down the road and the only place there was chalk was on edge of treads so made a heavier chalk line across all 4 tyres (folk must have wondered what I was up to) and then went onto A11 up to 70 and pulled off next interchange - tyres the same with only a small bit of chalk left over edge of tyres.