Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

TV through a laptop

John

John

VIP Member
original post brother10

Hi,
I wonder if anyone uses or has used a TV receiver that allows TV viewing via a laptop? If so, what system did you use and how good or bad was it?

My reason for asking is, with more sites having wi-fi available, I am more likely to take my laptop away with me than previously and thought I might be able to dispense with my small TV altogether if this other method worked well. Needless to say I can play videos and listen to my music through said laptop, would be nice to complete the package.

Have been looking at the systems offered from Hauppauge, they seem to be a bit ahead of the game. Would welcome any input - thanks

Bob

Original post Martin

Hi,

From past experience with our motorhome most campsites have very poor TV reception and a booster and good aerial has been needed, some sites do have a TV point on the hook up post which is quite handy. But what we do now if the site has wifi is make use of all the 'catch up'sites like iPlayer, 4OD etc .. as they all put the programmes online once they have finished on live TV.

Another good option which we use on our iPad is there are several Apps which allow you to watch live TV including the five main UK channels plus many hundreds from round the world.

We did try a similar device to the Hauppauge but we could never get a good picture.

Original post drmw1335

Hi

Have a look at elgato for either PC or Mac. They do several versions. The one I have is for digital only, and where I have got a good signal it has worked well and it can be adapted to work from a connection in the EHU. If you are using it in a poor signal then you will get a poor reception and an outside arial will be required. You can even record programmes before you go away. You can record whilst you are away or delay them.

elgato is easily available i got mine from amazon.

Using the catch up sites are a great idea only downsides to using iplayer 4od etc is when using them there is a time span to watch the programmes, and you may have to consider any download restrictions by your ISP provider at home.

Original post Hubert

We only use a TV for news updates and weather forecasts and not serious viewing. Prefer to be out and about.
We've found that our Garmin Satnav with TV (Nuvi 1490TV) serves the purpose. It has a 5" screen which surprisingly isn't that bad for watching. It's usually placed on the cooker cover and viewed from the rear bench.
Using the two aerials supplied rather than the inbuilt short antenna, it's amazing how many channels can be picked up. In strong signal areas even the inbuilt antenna will pick up all the channels.
It is well worth considering for those, like us, who want occasional TV.

Hubert

Original post Calikev

I like you Hubert am not keen on tv.we prefer to play cards or something
We do have a portable DVD player if needed with a 7inch screen,that seems to work fine.

Original post californiaman

When we stay on a Caravan Club site, I try and stay next to the caravan with the biggest satelite dish. Most of the caravans have telly. We just watch theirs and make up the dialogue..

original post Calitess

Nov 21, 2011, 10:41am, californiaman wrote: When we stay on a Caravan Club site, I try and stay next to the caravan with the biggest satelite dish. Most of the caravans have telly. We just watch theirs and make up the dialogue..

Original post brother10

Hi All,

Good to hear about your experiences. My pal, that also has a Cali, has gone for the Elgato as he is a Mac user. Will see him this weekend and get his view on how his home tests have gone.

I have read some very good reports on the August DVB-T202 so might well go that route. Pick up my new van on Friday (25th) so have a few weeks before hitting the road so to speak. Really just seeking to reduce a bit of clutter, I`m not an all day viewer, just news and the odd film. Roll on spring 2013 for some very serious Callying.

Bob

brother10

Apologies,

Meant to thank Hubert. Have not ruled out the Garmin solution, my old TomTom has perhaps seen better days but has always got me where I wanted to go. Liked the double usage from one piece if kit.

Bob

original post brother10

Hi,

After seeing the Elgato in action, think that might be the route I follow - I was very impressed. The opportunity to load it up at home with films and favourites was appealing and I do have a reliable portable aerial to grab the occasional bit of news etc.

Took posession of my new Sand Beige 140 on Friday. Quite a change of feel from my 2.5 130 but a pleasant one. Was impressed by the low revving engine should prove to be reasonably economical, albeit I think I needed to use the gearbox a bit more than the old one bringing it home across the Pennines. Now the job of getting all the gear on board.

Bob

Original post Hubert

Bob, enjoy your new van, how long was it on order for ?
Looks like sand beige is becoming the new silver. We have a sand beige on order, changing from a reflex silver.

cheers
Hubert

original post brother10

Hi Hubert,
Saw that VWVC Liverpool had it already on order, so spoke to them and cleared up the silver awning thing. Good spec, Climatronic, heated seats, cruise, MFSW (not quite sure what it does yet) F/R sensors, etc. To be perfectly honest, I would have been happy to take it bare bones so to speak - too much tech hurts my head. Colour is really nice - silvery in bright light, the sand hue more prominent in subdued light - ACE ! About six weeks from me seeing it advertised - built in October and at the dealers about two weeks ago. Be patient my friend and have nice 2012 registered one - that had been my intention. Hey life`s too short ain`t it?

You`ll love it. Did you see the post about the aux ipod/iphone connection in the glove compartment? Think that should be handy.

Regards. Bob

Back