Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travelling in Ireland

C

Cathy Ashton

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hey after reading on forum about where to stay near Dublin port arriving near midnight, I took the advice and parked in an Applegreen services just outside Dublin. It was good waking up and buying coffee and croissants from shop.

We then went onto to stay on a great site at Castle ward in Northern Ireland, filming of Game of Thrones. Would recommend this site, excellent facilities, would put this in my top 3 of sites, set in idyllic countryside. We went in October, so not busy;)

20191021_092050.jpg

IMG-20191020-WA0017.jpg

We are interested in doing the east coast in 2021- where else are you going in Ireland?
Thank you :thumb

I go to west coast a lot, particularly around the inishowen peninsula, the beaches and scenery are fab. This was my first trip to the east coast of ireland, and my only stop. I need to do more of the east coast , so will look forward to any of your pics and recommendations, enjoy ;)

I grew up in the South East and return frequently. Some of my favourite areas (in a semi-geographical order):

East Coast:
Wicklow Mountains - Old Military Road through the Sally Gap (R115) - stunning drive.
Glendalough - outstanding scenery and old monastic sites on a lake. Make sure to walk up to the old lead mines.
Wicklow Gaol for a bit of heritage.
Curracloe Beach and The Raven in County Wexford (photo included - where Normandy landing scenes in Saving Private Ryan were filmed). 30 minutes up the coast from Rosslare Harbour where both Stena Line and Irish Ferries operate to from Pembrokeshire. Great place for a long walk along the beach or through the forrest.
Wexford town - Old viking town which comes alive in late October for an Opera Festival and art exhibitions.
Lobster Pot Restaurant - near to Lady's Island. Fab seafood restaurant.

South Coast:
Kilmore Quay - Silver Fox Seafood Restaurant used to be very good. Hope it still is. Nice beach nearby.
Hook Head Lighthouse and peninsula.
Duncannon for another good beach. Perfect place to learn to kitesurf with Hooked Kitesurfing.
Ferry from Ballyhack to Passage East and then explore Dunmore East and Tramore (good for surfing).

Inland:
Borris - a visit to Joyce's Pub for a pint of the black stuff is a must. It's like stepping back in time. Time your visit for a tour of Borris House which is open on certain days from May to September. Extraordinary history of Arthur MacMurough Kavanagh.
Kilkenny is the pick of the large county towns with an outstanding castle. Nearby Thomastown and Graiguenamanagh are picturesque small towns on the River Nore and Barrow.

However, in my opinion, all of this pales in comparison to the rugged natural beauty and isolation of the West Coast. Places like the Dingle Peninsula in Co. Kerry, the Burren in Co. Clare, Clifton in Co. Galway, Achill and Belmullet in Co. Mayo. I still need to explore some of the remoter areas of West Cork and the entire Atlantic coastline.

F154F3CC-D132-44C6-9E99-C823A939AABF_1_100_o.jpeg

Good afternoon,

I agree Maverick's comment about the East Coast.

• Wicklow Mountains - Old Military Road through the Sally Gap is lovely (small road)
  • From Dublin - Firehouse over the Dublin Mountains is wonderful (drive it myself occasionally), (very small road)
  • Sugar Love (a hill / mountain) is always worth while to walk / climb up (if the weather is nice)
  • In the Dublin area Howth is a nice harbour town
  • Donadea Forest Park in Co. Kildare is always good for a walk (but the last time I was there they charged EUR 5.00 for parking, which I think is a bit much). I was there quite often, because it is not so far from where I live.
  • Glendalough is wonderful. Can't remember how often I was there (year round)
  • Skerries and Ballbriggan have a nice coast line
  • Emo court House (Co. Laois) is interesting (the fist time that I got stuck with a car parking on the grass)
  • In Limerick (well, ok not the East Coast) but Bunratty (old castle and outdoor museum) is super
The list can be endless. There are so many places that are worthwhile to visit.

If I have the time I drive in a general direction, stop and ask Google what is from interest in this area. Doing this helped me to discover a lot small places. For example a church with a "jumping wall" ;). Don't we love all those tales?

I believe the smaller the road the more it is to discover - and that is the reason why I love the California. It is not to big to get through those roads. Going to Cavan I ended up on roads just as wide as the van (wing mirrors touches the hedges on both sides). There wouldn't have been room even for a person.

Enjoy your time in the emerald island of Ireland. There is so much to explore.

Regards,
Eberhard

Some amazing tips, can't wait to get the van over to the East coast now :thanks

I've only just cottoned-on to the Wicklow Mountains & am hoping to explore next year - looks fantastic.

Great Post Maverick,
I especially recommend the West Coast, absolutely so beautiful. Starting in West Cork, then going up through Kerry, West Galway, Mayo and Donegal. All along the coast.
Joe

I've only just cottoned-on to the Wicklow Mountains & am hoping to explore next year - looks fantastic.
Wicklow is great but can be busy, stopped off there for a few nights after doing the wild Atlantic way April 2019.
Stunning trip and will be going back sometime.
Lots of pics/posts on here from when I done it.