Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Traveling with the dog on the back seat

IanE

IanE

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all

Until now we've had our dog (Grainne, an Irish Terrier), in a crate on the back shelf when traveling. We'd much rather have her travel more comfortably and nearer to us, so we've got a harness and strap to secure her safely to one of the seat belt anchor points on the back seat. The problem with this arrangement is how do you keep the seat from quickly becoming filthy?! Until now, we've opted for not having seat covers, but this seems now to be the only practical solution.

My question is, do any dog owners here have their dog travel on the back seat with the inca seat covers (those being the most reasonably priced and well thought of)? Does the dog not slide around as the covers look like they'll be slippy?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated thanks

Ian

As you see here

http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/attachments/image-jpg.1821/

We use a fleece to put on top
The seats itself is coverd with the Brandrup covers (looks and feels exactly like the seats)

At arrival , dog on the floor , remove the fleece , a clean seat....
Wash the fleece after every trip

I use a blanket for my doggies and they are belted in. Quite happy. The Inka covers are slippy.

My eldest, Hermione, travels happily on the back seat, safely strapped into her Bergan harness. I have the Inka seat covers on and yes, they are a little more slippy than the standard fabric, but thus far Hermione seems quite happy with a piece of fleece on the seat base and a cushion for her head when she lays down. She doesn't slip and slide and can sit up easily whilst the Cali is in motion:)

Thanks all - think we'll just carry on with a blanket/towel or two/three for now.

ALittle off subject but we recently bought a little 12 volt shower off amazon after seeing it on here, when we go off for the day we fill a sweet jar sized container with hot tap water, put it in a cool bag and it stays warm enough To give our pooch a quick hose down on her undercarriage before getting in the van, she is only little so has a bed between the front seats on the floor and is happy there rather than up on the seats.

Buttons is small too....half Pug half Chihuahua.....he sits in the back seat with an Inka cover. We usually have a nice fleece blanket and two nice chenille cushions in lime green as it is a nice contrast to the grey Cali and makes it more camper than car! He does have a crate when travelling abroad which fits on the drivers seat when we are camping. He also is known to sleep up top with Charlotte and or her friends although can get excitable at 4am. He does not slide around too much.
Zebedee

Our 2 Cockers are harnessed in on our Inka covered back seat and also in their beds , which means they don't slide around and are very comfortable. This is only when we are away otherwise day to day in the crate in the back.:thumb

Our deerhound 35 kilo hound...just lies there on the blanket... as deerhounds just do.
She can profer an offended glance when she's very occasionally slid off with too enthusiastic cornering on hairpins....hugely pee'd off when getting egged at 2am in carpark nr Robin Hoods Bay....dear deerhound did not respond to enthusiastic slapping to try and raise it from sleep to life to try and impose some authority and even a little fear in the neanderthals egging and supporting the other roused camper van owner who was standing in the misty carpark in boxers and baseball bat shouting at the hillside in an impressive way (berserker type way) whilst all could be seen of me was my backside vigorously beating our deerhound. Not good for the self image!

Come on guys ...this tread needs PICTURES !

:bananadance

:thumb Could not give an impression of what a deerhound would look like .
....a lot of hair...:D Bet she loves the wintertimes , snow,...

better than photo of my backside ...trying to rouse her!
Let's not go there...useless guard dog ....soft as muck...gentle giant...very lazy is our Daisy...impressive if she does raise a gallop after a deer or hare...rare nowadays and like many big dogs won't live much more than 10 yrs she's 9 yrs now...she we have to cherish her...and fight her to find room on the sofa or bed!

Back seat covers we use to protect seat from Dottie, the dug: supermarket fleece folded in 2 and tucked into back of base (£7) + double bed sized soft fleece covering the whole seat (brought back from USA...Target..perfect colour), topped off with the best bit: a grey vet bed gold fleece which is the perfect size to cover the bottom of the seat.
Nothing slides, everything is protected.
Dottie sits on one side and me at the other and everything then is used to protect the bed at night. Comfy too!
Dottie didn't like travelling on the bench so she travels in her crate on the floor. Have now discovered that the crate is the perfect height for putting feet up on but it is usually thrown in the 'garden shed' on arrival ie the queque popup shelter.

Does anyone have any thoughts of how to secure the crate?

We have our boys on the back seat, and the dog just lies on her bed at their feet. She is quite happy there and, as an ex-rescue dog would never, ever go into a crate / cage.

This is our 35kg deerhound(-ish) Cali dog. Seems to have the same burglar-deterrent qualities as Daisy (I wonder if they could be related). Best we could hope for is that his snoring would deter an intruder, or maybe they would fall over him. In the unlikely event of him waking up he may lick someone into submission!
XA2B0679.JPG

Hi all

Until now we've had our dog (Grainne, an Irish Terrier), in a crate on the back shelf when traveling. We'd much rather have her travel more comfortably and nearer to us, so we've got a harness and strap to secure her safely to one of the seat belt anchor points on the back seat. The problem with this arrangement is how do you keep the seat from quickly becoming filthy?! Until now, we've opted for not having seat covers, but this seems now to be the only practical solution.

My question is, do any dog owners here have their dog travel on the back seat with the inca seat covers (those being the most reasonably priced and well thought of)? Does the dog not slide around as the covers look like they'll be slippy?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated thanks

Ian
We found that Molly did slide about on the Inka seat cover so now cover the seat with a towel or throw, folded and firmly tucked down either side of the bench to keep it in place. They do get filthy sometimes but are easy to clean so no real problem. The Inka covers are easy to brush or wipe over to remove any loose dirt that collects. We have tried putting her on the floor in a dog bed with a harness secured with a D-ring in one of the floor channels but she seems to prefer being higher and looking out of the window.

cd2.jpg

Back