Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Trashy, simpering, granny-type thread nothing to do with Cali's

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
My little gran-boy is a wounded soldier. Had a double eye operation on Monday. Came to us this morning for R&R whilst parents look after other gran-boy.

He's just gone to bed, Drops in his eyes, medicine taken, never complaining, just so happy and cheery, got a horrible headache but doesn't grumble ....

Melting my heart. All snivvely I am. He's 8 years old and a total treasure as everyone's grankids are. Bless him. He spent most of the afternoon playing in my camper, just can't wait for him to be spending nights in it.

Sorry :( Children are so innocent, no warranty issues with kids, no prejudice, no hate, just love.

My little gran-boy is a wounded soldier. Had a double eye operation on Monday. Came to us this morning for R&R whilst parents look after other gran-boy.

He's just gone to bed, Drops in his eyes, medicine taken, never complaining, just so happy and cheery, got a horrible headache but doesn't grumble ....

Melting my heart. All snivvely I am. He's 8 years old and a total treasure as everyone's grankids are. Bless him. He spent most of the afternoon playing in my camper, just can't wait for him to be spending nights in it.

Sorry :( Children are so innocent, no warranty issues with kids, no prejudice, no hate, just love.
Your grandchildren put things back in perspective and remind you what is important! Unconditional love ….. enjoy your days helping him mend. It is a memory that will stay with him long into the future!

Great thread GJ.

Personally being a grandparent has probably been the most fulfilling thing that's ever happened to me. Yes, bringing up our four children was truly wonderful experience but as with most parents, it was also a very busy period in our lives. With work, and all our other comittments and pressures there can often be too many distractions for parents. Also parenting is full time with few breaks which clearly adds to that pressure!!! With the first child it's all unexplored territory and there's no handbook! With successive children you learn what is important and what isn't. All the various stages from new borns to toddlers, terrible twos, play group, primary school, secondary school, teenagers, teaching them to drive, University, relationships, marriage and beyond can all be a big trial and it never stops! Not so for grandparents. By the time you hear that you are going to become grandparents you should have received all the training you need. You'll have seen it all before and know that what ever the problem is, it isn't the end of the world. You'll also have a well developed sense of perspective and can smile at some of the awful things that the little monkeys have just done, reminding their parents of just how toadesque they were at that age.

My experience with our eight grand kids is that the relationships between grandparents and their grandchildren can be very close indeed. Also by the time one attains this status many but not all grandparents, will have the experience, time, and financial security to both enjoy and support the little tinkers more than their parents often can. We often have the time to get down and play with them, to encourage them thereby developing their imaginations and horizons. We are also there to support them through all of life's little trials and tribulations providing constant love, understanding and words of advice. We have the luxury of time to get involved in their lives and to become a significant part of their little world.

The trick is to do all of this in a supportive way without interfering, critising or acting in a counterproductive manner to their parents wishes. Not always that easy but none the less essential even if you may not agree with their parents methods.

The reward is unconditional love.

It saddens me when I occasionally come across grandparent who are clearly more focussed on headonistic pursuits, apparently keeping their grandkids very much at arms length with the atitude that they've done that and it's the parents turn now. They are missing out on so much and depriving their grandkids of a very important relationship.

Last edited:
Great thread GJ.

Personally being a grandparent has probably been the most fulfilling thing that's ever happened to me. Yes, bringing up our four children was truly wonderful experience but as with most parents, it was also a very busy period in our lives. With work, and all our other comittments and pressures there can often be too many distractions for parents. Also parenting is full time with few breaks which clearly adds to that pressure!!! With the first child it's all unexplored territory and there's no handbook! With successive children you learn what is important and what isn't. All the various stages from new borns to toddlers, terrible twos, play group, primary school, secondary school, teenagers, teaching them to drive, University, relationships, marriage and beyond can all be a big trial and it never stops! Not so for grandparents. By the time you hear that you are going to become grandparents you should have received all the training you need. You'll have seen it all before and know that what ever the problem is, it isn't the end of the world. You'll also have a well developed sense of perspective and can smile at some of the awful things that the little monkeys have just done, reminding their parents of just how toadesque they were at that age.

My experience with our eight grand kids is that the relationships between grandparents and their grandchildren can be very close indeed. Also by the time one attains this status many but not all grandparents, will have the experience, time, and financial security to both enjoy and support the little tinkers more than their parents often can. We often have the time to get down and play with them, to encourage them thereby developing their imaginations and horizons. We are also there to support them through all of life's little trials and tribulations providing constant love, understanding and words of advice. We have the luxury of time to get involved in their lives and to become a significant part of their little world.

The trick is to do all of this in a supportive way without interfering, critising or acting in a counterproductive manner to their parents wishes. Not always that easy but none the less essential even if you may not agree with their parents methods.

The reward is unconditional love.

It saddens me when I occasionally come across grandparent who are clearly more focussed on headonistic pursuits, apparently keeping their grandkids very much at arms length with the atitude that they've done that and it's the parents turn now. They are missing out on so much and depriving their grandkids of a very important relationship.

such lovely thoughts and words @Borris and all of them resonate!

My first feelings are being able to give to my grandchildren all the time and love possible and was so often constricted by other pressures when bringing my own children up.

Being there, not just for them but also the parents, is so wonderful. It was a short urgent call from Mum last week "Hospital called, a cancellation, he can have surgery Monday but then needs a week of care afterwards" .... "no problem Helen, all appointments at the Granny end cancelled, drop him off when suits you".

The love, totally unconditional, and not surrounded by so many constraints on time that was parenthood.

The unbridled curiosity that can be let rip because for me, my time left on this planet is now limited, my future is those children, my "stuff" is not precious to me any more.

Just holding him last night. He was tired out from a day of awesome energy expenditure, non-stop curiosity from getting up to collapsing in bed, and now with a headache, a result of the surgery, not wanting to be a pain but in pain and not saying no to Granny cuddles. Bless him, as all children should be blessed.

It really pissed me off.

I took Ben to Pizza Hut yesterday evening as a reward for something or other.

We were just tucking into our shared deep pan pepperoni pizza when the manager strode over to us and said, “I’m looking forward to that moment like you, taking my grandson out for a treat. You look so happy together, granddad and grandson!”

It really pissed me off!

Back