Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Trailer

L

Lester

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Anyone with advice regarding travelling around Europe towing a small Trailer??

Have you ever towed with a trailer? If you are going to one location and staying there then they can be good (is you will be using good roads, won't have to park often and unlikely to have to reverse). Once you are there the trailer is left parked for the duration of your stay.
If you are moving from place to place then I personally think they are a massive pain. Difficult to find parking, reversing on narrow roads is difficult

Also need to watch the speed limits because of the plated towing limits of a Cali:

Section IV) Any vehicle which has a gross train mass over 3.5 tonne, towing a trailer or caravan; unless otherwise signposted and on dry roads the speed limit in kilometres per hour is: –

On autoroutes (motorway) 90kph (55mph);
On dual carriageways 90kph (55mph);
Single carriageway 80kph (50mph);
In towns 50kph (31mph). The town name starts the limit; a horizontal bar through the town name is the derestriction sign.

Didn't someone also mention the need for a separate green card for the trailer?

Lester . A small trailer is brilliant .

We have 2 Anssems trailers a GTB 1200 which will take 8 x 4 sheets of ply with lockable waterproof lid and a GTB 1200 VT2 box trailer same size but 5ft high with waterproof lid ( will take large motorbike ) .
We took the small trailer to Nordkapp 2 years ago on 7k mile 62 day trip . It was brilliant . Tows like a dream ( you hardly know it’s there ) and very easy to reverse . Also easy to unhitch and manoeuvre by hand if you need to . Both are braked and carry 957 kg .

Most important . Don’t be tempted by the smaller narrower trailers as they are impossible to reverse as you can’t see them . Both of the above are same width and I can just see the tips of the mudguards in the Cali wing mirrors .

Trailer allows you to carry much bigger load without overloading van . Elevating roof allows easy access ,lockable and waterproof. The only downside is speed limit normally 10 kph less and ferries and tolls are higher .FB99EECE-45B1-4449-82FD-5F28D4F12ACB.jpeg1C638202-980C-4D00-AAC1-88100C29BACA.jpeg72D81BFA-2B98-49E6-8AFC-C59A18D1DD9D.jpeg913BC880-6956-4FD3-A61E-CA722BEE8DD0.jpeg

22A8CB04-CF12-455F-BB1D-DC77ED511DCD.jpeg

4D8E6C99-3542-44E5-9BA9-177CD5428B20.jpeg

9ABA94F1-A400-4D6F-B31B-684CAD469795.jpeg

FC61C13D-D46D-4521-8FFF-BDED19FA830E.jpeg538DF1D8-7FC9-43D9-89BC-3D5FD4727BBA.jpeg

Last edited:
Lester . Just one other thing . If you are planning towing anything or attaching anything to tow ball I highly recommend uprating the rear springs to T 32 . This transforms the van as it’s very soft at the rear . My local Vw dealer supplied recommended and fitted for £100 . Transformed the Cali instantly even when not towing .

As you are probably fully aware in France if over 500kgs you will have a trailer with its own registration and insurance.
Personally a 750kgs trailer would be the one to have as when its own weight is deducted it still leaves a good load carrying capacity plus 500kgs ones are small and virtually impossible to see behind a Cali.

750kgs is light enough to unhook and manhandle in any tight reversing area.
Speed limits vary across the EU.

The only downside is speed limit normally 10 kph less and ferries and tolls are higher .

Its normally a lot more than 10kph less on motorways:

eg france motorway - 90kmh v 130kmh
Spain motorway 90kmh v 120kmh
Norway if trailer is braked 80kmh v 110kmh
Norway if trailer is unbraked over 300kg max 60kmh

Also need to look at driving license carefully if you don't have B+E ie a towing license as you are limited to a max 750kg trailer behind a cali as you will be over the 3500kg threshold.

Its normally a lot more than 10kph less on motorways:

eg france motorway - 90kmh v 130kmh
Spain motorway 90kmh v 120kmh
Norway if trailer is braked 80kmh v 110kmh
Norway if trailer is unbraked over 300kg max 60kmh

Also need to look at driving license carefully if you don't have B+E ie a towing license as you are limited to a max 750kg trailer behind a cali as you will be over the 3500kg threshold.
750kg Trailer licence, unless test passed pre 1997, isn't related to the towing vehicle just any trailer over that grosse weight. ie in UK you can tow a 750kg trailer on just a car level licence but a B+E needed for any trailer over that weight even if towing with a small car.

750kg Trailer licence, unless test passed pre 1997, isn't related to the towing vehicle just any trailer over that grosse weight. ie in UK you can tow a 750kg trailer on just a car level licence but a B+E needed for any trailer over that weight even if towing with a small car.

That's not true, it's all about the train weight not exceeding 3,500kg.
https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car

If you passed your car driving test on or after 1 January 1997 you can:

• drive a car or van up to 3,500kg maximum authorised mass (MAM) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
  • tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg

Last edited:
No that is not correct.

B licence lets you have train weight up to 3500kg, or a tow vehicle up to 3500kg + max 750kg trailer.

A 2000kg MAM car + 1500KG trailer is allowed.
A 3100kg cali + 750kg trailer is ok on a B licence

No that is not correct.

B licence lets you have train weight up to 3500kg, or a tow vehicle up to 3500kg + max 750kg trailer.

A 2000kg MAM car + 1500KG trailer is allowed.
A 3100kg cali + 750kg trailer is ok on a B licence
Stand corrected in part.

You quote a 3100kg Cali plus a 750kg being OK with a combined MAM of 3850kg

MAM of my Cali is 3080kg which would mean that not even a 500kg trailer could be towed without a B+E licence.

From GOV.uk
  • tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg

Stand corrected in part.

You quote a 3100kg Cali plus a 750kg being OK with a combined MAM of 3850kg

MAM of my Cali is 3080kg which would mean that not even a 500kg trailer could be towed without a B+E licence.

From GOV.uk

No you've miss read that - it says you can't tow a trailer OVER 750kg if the MAM is more than 3500KG.
ie you are limited to a 750kg max trailer if you are going over the 3500kg.

No you've miss read that - it says you can't tow a trailer OVER 750kg if the MAM is more than 3500KG.
ie you are limited to a 750kg max trailer if you are going over the 3500kg.
Got it now as it was as first my rule of thumb in needing the B+E if over 750kg was when I checked a few years back.
Cali can tow less than my cars without an E category.

First line on GOV.uk definition which appeared to be contradicted by the second line at first scan.

• drive a car or van up to 3,500kg maximum authorised mass (MAM) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM

If you can avoid towing, don’t tow.

Four of us plus two dogs spent 12 months touring 33 countries, and managed to pack everything inside the van.

Advantages of towing a trailer
Gives more traveling interior space.
Reduces risk of overloading.
Secure onsite storage (if lockable trailer )
Less rush from A to B giving time to enjoy the scenery.
Bike rack can be fitted on top.
Less fuel can be consumed due to lower top speeds.
Bulky items such as comfortable chairs, family sized table, tent or awning can be transported.
Back in my Sports Car Camping days everything went in the trailer.

Disadvantages
Potential Ferry and Toll charges.
Extra checks if Channel crossing. (illegal immigrants)
Parking in towns. Need double length spaces.
Increased travelling times, not as great as suggested on paper.
Extra speed limits to be aware of.

I'd rather have a trailer on tow than a fully loaded/packed van. Personal choice.

Back