• Thread starter Peter Guiton Cali
  • Start date
P

Peter Guiton Cali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Any advice please

Most insurances require a Tracker now , so looking for some advice on best one for a T6.1

California ocean

Cheers

I am doing without as my insurance ( LV) don’t need one.

I have had a Ghost 2 installed though . I’d rather spend my money on trying to stop the van being taken in the first place.

I have had a Ghost 2 installed though . I’d rather spend my money on trying to stop the van being taken in the first place.
Agree.
However any S5 tracker will act as an enhanced immobiliser too so will serve both purposes.
Vodafone Protect and Connect does this and is insurance approved.

Thanks I am looking at a ghost 2 , does the insurance take that into account as well , just had renewal from Lv at £570 up from £418 last year plus no claims by me and 2 years NCB

I reccomend ghost2.
Though it stopped my auto door locking drive off and my installer can’t fix that.
But ghost 2 works great !

Found out that a £90 eBay GPS jammer can block any £600 tracker.
Completely useless then unless tea leaves don’t have a gps tracker jammer.

There is a £1200 tracker which uses VHF and cannot be jammed or spoofed.
So much better.

But like you, I’d rather they didn’t take it away in the first place.
Stoplock pro is a good visual deterrent also.
They have to spend more time and noise cutting the steering wheel.

NFU and comfort don’t need any additional tracker. And don’t reduce premium for ghost 2.
So purely for my own POM.

@Californication69 ”Found out that a £90 eBay GPS jammer can block any £600 tracker.”
That is shocking, absolutely no point in insurers insisting if this is true, which I don’t doubt.

Just found a 4G and 5G GPS jammer online for £399.
What a joke.
But, that’s what we have insurance for I guess.

Any advice please

Most insurances require a Tracker now , so looking for some advice on best one for a T6.1

California ocean

Cheers
My insurance company insisted on a tracker, the installer pointed out that it was a rather sneaky way of them keeping an eye on your mileage if you have a fixed mileage policy, so don't go and bang 10000 miles on your Cali if you told them you only do 5000. You could potentially end up uninsured

My insurance company insisted on a tracker, the installer pointed out that it was a rather sneaky way of them keeping an eye on your mileage if you have a fixed mileage policy, so don't go and bang 10000 miles on your Cali if you told them you only do 5000. You could potentially end up uninsured

We had to send a photo of the odometer to our insurers - plus mileage is recorded on MOT certs, so easy for them to check. If you are unfortunate enough to have an accident then the mileage will be recorded on the repair invoice.

If we exceed the agreed mileage then our excess increases from £350 to £500 in the event of a claim.

Our ‘new’ van is 9 years old and previous owner had a tracker fitted. We asked insurers for price difference in premium in having functional tracker (ie - yearly tracking subscription paid) v no tracker. Cost of tracking subscription exceeded the insurance saving, so we are insured without a tracker.

Last edited:
I love my tracker. Other half can help when I'm lost.

Metatrak S7. The one time I put the key in the ignition without the fob, they rang up, sounded bored but very quick.

We had to send a photo of the odometer to our insurers - plus mileage is recorded on MOT certs, so easy for them to check. If you are unfortunate enough to have an accident then the mileage will be recorded on the repair invoice.

If we exceed the agreed mileage then our excess increases from £350 to £500 in the event of a claim.

Our ‘new’ van is 9 years old and previous owner had a tracker fitted. We asked insurers for price difference in premium in having functional tracker (ie - yearly tracking subscription paid) v no tracker. Cost of tracking subscription exceeded the insurance saving, so we are insured without a tracker.
Trackers are a nightmare if you like stealth park ups or full time will work against you if you ever have a claim!
Safeguard never wanted one on my new joker back 2022.

Just some background on jammers.
A GPS (US), GLASNOSS (Russian), Galileo (EU), India and China positioning systems can easily be jammed locally with a simple power jam. This stops the receiver knowing where it is. It will know where it was and some can do dead reconning based on accelerometer.
Cellular communications can also be jammed just as easy and will stop the device sending updates back to the service provider. The service provider should know the last know location.
Not sure of any VHF system for communication That is cost effective.

Any advice please

California ocean

Cheers
My insurance company supplied one which means it meets their requirements without question.

Agree I have a Ghost 2 after my TV California was stolen . Talked to an insurance engineer who state professional thieves can scan for and block or disarm trackers . The plans are often also expensive and an ongoing cost .

Agree I have a Ghost 2 after my TV California was stolen . Talked to an insurance engineer who state professional thieves can scan for and block or disarm trackers . The plans are often also expensive and an ongoing cost .

Some thieves will leave the stolen vehicle less than a mile away in a lock up / garage. Disconnect the tracker, leave then vehicle for a few days to check tracker is not working, then come back and collect the vehicle.

A company I worked for put trackers in the vans so HR could keep an eye on employees movements.
It took about a week before the whole workforce had worked out how to block the system. The software used showed the last position of the van prior to the signal being lost.
A co--ordinated effort by the lads had the system showing 40+ vans parked in the 10 parking bays in the empty HQ car park. It made HR looked very silly.
Apparently if you know the approx position of the tracker a 12" square of lead placed above it blocks the signal.

I reccomend ghost2.
Though it stopped my auto door locking drive off and my installer can’t fix that.
But ghost 2 works great !

Found out that a £90 eBay GPS jammer can block any £600 tracker.
Completely useless then unless tea leaves don’t have a gps tracker jammer.

There is a £1200 tracker which uses VHF and cannot be jammed or spoofed.
So much better.

But like you, I’d rather they didn’t take it away in the first place.
Stoplock pro is a good visual deterrent also.
They have to spend more time and noise cutting the steering wheel.

NFU and comfort don’t need any additional tracker. And don’t reduce premium for ghost 2.
So purely for my own POM.
I have the same problem with my Ghost 2 with the doors locking when you drive off i was told they can fit a relay but that didnt work in the end but what does work 100% is if you use the ghost app.
i actually prefer to use the app i just turn it on as i approach the van and off i go....

I have the same problem with my Ghost 2 with the doors locking when you drive off i was told they can fit a relay but that didnt work in the end but what does work 100% is if you use the ghost app.
i actually prefer to use the app i just turn it on as i approach the van and off i go....
Interesting. I’ve just downloaded the ghost app.
Do you have to have it running whilst your in the vehicle?

Interesting. I’ve just downloaded the ghost app.
Do you have to have it running whilst your in the vehicle?
i would think once you have turn on the app and started the van you could possible turn the app off. you would only have to turn the app on again if you turn the engine off. You will find the app Bluetooth pairing code on the special card they give you when its installed. easy enough to activate.