Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Towing a Caravan and pitch prices

Billy

Billy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
We have purchased a small caravan we tow behind our Cali so our teenage kids can have their own space, however on our first trip out we pitched both Cali and caravan side by side on the same pitch however when the warden was doing his rounds he came over to us and said because we are sleeping in both units it means we need to purchase two pitches?

Surely this cant be correct? We are more than happy to pay the per adult/child cost that is on top of the pitch price, but to charge us for two pitches is incredible?

Will depend on the nature of the site. Almost certainly need two pitches on club sites. They'll cite fire safety regulations. Private sites may be more receptive but it will require a call ahead each time I would have thought.

We have purchased a small caravan we tow behind our Cali so our teenage kids can have their own space, however on our first trip out we pitched both Cali and caravan side by side on the same pitch however when the warden was doing his rounds he came over to us and said because we are sleeping in both units it means we need to purchase two pitches?

Surely this cant be correct? We are more than happy to pay the per adult/child cost that is on top of the pitch price, but to charge us for two pitches is incredible?

Were you on a caravan club site? If so, quite correct, habitation units must be 6 metres apart so you need two separate pitches. Not only that though, it gets worse. If you wish to book as a member you also need two memberships as a card number can only make one pitch booking. It becomes slightly irritating when in the next pitch there is a cali sized 4*4 parked next to a caravan which has attached to it a full length awning with about 500 kids and dogs sleeping in it:D

Most commercial sites don't care.

On a CC site you both end up looking like billy no mates whereas on a commercial site you look quite cozy :shocked

tredegar3.jpg
cotswolds_Fotor.jpg

Last edited:
Wonder what the situation is with a Beach towing a caravan? ie. no cooking equipment in the Beach so should not be fire risk?

Wonder what the situation is with a Beach towing a caravan? ie. no cooking equipment in the Beach so should not be fire risk?

The same would apply. It's not the cooking equipment or gas, it's someone sleeping in the towing vehicle that gets them upset.

Our experience of commercial sites has been mixed - from selling us a single pitch, to charging for two pitches or somewhere in between (the haggled deal).

Our experience of commercial sites has been mixed - from selling us a single pitch, to charging for two pitches or somewhere in between (the haggled deal).

Sometimes it can be quite amusing.

I normally turn up and when checking in explain that the towing vehicle is a camper and we would be using it like others use an awning, i.e. an extension of living space. I turned up on one site, a CL, the owner having a long think, deciding that CC policy would be two separate pitches, then realising he only had one pitch left decided on a change of policy :D

Years ago when the kids were young we thought a pup tent would be useful to get them out of the van at night. Then we got charged double at a site in Anglesey. Never ever went back there! :mad:

Were you on a caravan club site? If so, quite correct, habitation units must be 6 metres apart so you need two separate pitches. Not only that though, it gets worse. If you wish to book as a member you also need two memberships as a card number can only make one pitch booking. It becomes slightly irritating when in the next pitch there is a cali sized 4*4 parked next to a caravan which has attached to it a full length awning with about 500 kids and dogs sleeping in it:D

Most commercial sites don't care.

On a CC site you both end up looking like billy no mates whereas on a commercial site you look quite cozy :shocked

View attachment 32531
View attachment 32532
Hi we are thinking of purchasing a California and have an Eriba Troll 550, didn't realise it would be such a problem staying at C&CC and CC and towing a little caravan, no one will be sleeping in it - yet, in time when our son is older! Sounds a nightmare booking, going to contact the clubs to see what they say. Whole idea was to have a California and a small caravan. Have you found private sites OK? Can I ask what size engine you have to tow your Eriba, can't believe how long the options list is for the California!

Hi we are thinking of purchasing a California and have an Eriba Troll 550, didn't realise it would be such a problem staying at C&CC and CC and towing a little caravan, no one will be sleeping in it - yet, in time when our son is older! Sounds a nightmare booking, going to contact the clubs to see what they say. Whole idea was to have a California and a small caravan. Have you found private sites OK? Can I ask what size engine you have to tow your Eriba, can't believe how long the options list is for the California!

This post is now out of date.

There is no problem with the CAMC or CC&C. It went right to the top but I finally had a ruling.

The rule is that the tow vehicleCAN be used for habitation providing it is equipped for it, i.e. bed etc, but the gas must be turned off and the tow vehicle NOT used for cooking.

I have not had a problem since. My main problem it turns out was one warden, jobsworth incarnate, who found difficulty with everything and everyone. It was the opposite incarnation, a lovely, helpful warden at Cirencester CAMC, who took it upon herself and got the definitive version.

My combination is an Eriba triton 420 pulled by a 204 4motion DSG. The only problem towing is remembering the caravan is there. I would think any size of Cali would have no problem tugging an Eriba. They are beautiful to tow. If I can give you any insights please ask, it is a great combination.

IMG_0953.JPG

IMG_1074.JPG

There is no problem with the CAMC or CC&C. It went right to the top but I finally had a ruling.

The rule is that the tow vehicleCAN be used for habitation providing it is equipped for it, i.e. bed etc, but the gas must be turned off and the tow vehicle NOT used for cooking.

I have not had a problem since. My main problem it turns out was one warden, jobsworth incarnate, who found difficulty with everything and everyone. It was the opposite incarnation, a lovely, helpful warden at Cirencester CAMC, who took it upon herself and got the definitive version.

My combination is an Eriba triton 420 pulled by a 204 4motion DSG. The only problem towing is remembering the caravan is there. I would think any size of Cali would have no problem tugging an Eriba. They are beautiful to tow. If I can give you any insights please ask, it is a great combination.

View attachment 50204

View attachment 50205
Thanks for your reply, had telephoned a site we like to stay at in Aldeburgh and the lady said we would have to have 2x pitches if sleeping in the California and in the Eriba. I am new to this forum can't see how to send a private message, just would like to ask you a few questions, if you don't mind. Going to contact both Clubs to get confirmation. See you have a new Eriba (in the second photo), we originally had a 430GT, then a 530GT now a 550GT in silver we love them, travelled a lot in ours in the UK and Europe!

Thanks for your reply, had telephoned a site we like to stay at in Aldeburgh and the lady said we would have to have 2x pitches if sleeping in the California and in the Eriba. I am new to this forum can't see how to send a private message, just would like to ask you a few questions, if you don't mind. Going to contact both Clubs to get confirmation. See you have a new Eriba (in the second photo), we originally had a 430GT, then a 530GT now a 550GT in silver we love them, travelled a lot in ours in the UK and Europe!
You have to be a VIP member to send a PM. These are known as conversations. Click on members Icon to start a Conversation.

Yes, our third Eriba. Two 430 and now a 420. The photo is Betty's maiden voyage, Warwick Racecourse CAMC, I well remember the day, I fell out of the camper that evening and broke my wrist and a couple of bones in my hand :sad

Was in Italy - Cavallino last month, and the policy was that in a pitch you can have a Caravan or Tent or Motorhome and a car. Both Caravan and Motorhome can have an awning or an awning tent but not both. If you have an additional small tent you pay extra. So i assume the same apply if you have a "Motorhome" California and an Eriba Caravan. I believe the rule is to prevent people coming to a pitch and overdoing it by covering till the last square foot. I ended up with my Cali+Quechua connected by the Cali awning. Technically I should have paid extra. In practice they didn't bother as even with this set up I was covering less square feet than some huge caravan with even bigger awning.
The problem, I guess, there is no distinction if you drive a Cali+Eriba 320 or a Niesmann Bischoff+ Adria Alpina 902. Two camping units = two pitches...

Just to confirm:

No problem with the C&CC.

Currently staying on their Devizes site and the managers could not have been more helpful in finding a iptch to accommodate Camper, caravan and Awning. Very accommodating.

Surely if it is a new Cali it would only need 1 pitch as it would be a Caravan and an MPV ( :Iamsorry ) Sleeping in both - If you have the kids in an awning what would the difference be.

Just to confirm:

No problem with the C&CC.

Currently staying on their Devizes site and the managers could not have been more helpful in finding a iptch to accommodate Camper, caravan and Awning. Very accommodating.
Great to hear that, think it was the C&MC head office that were the difficult ones about a california & caravan, hopefully the wardens will be more understanding :)

Enjoy your trip

Surely if it is a new Cali it would only need 1 pitch as it would be a Caravan and an MPV ( :Iamsorry ) Sleeping in both - If you have the kids in an awning what would the difference be.

The difficulty that sends various "officers" of both clubs into paroxysms of deep and meaningful debate is whether the vehicle is being used for habitation in it's fullest sense, which to everyone else means is it being used for cooking in. If so then it breaches the 6m separation rule as it will mean a fire risk less than 6m away from the neighbouring unit.

Of course, no one ever cooks in an awning do they? :shocked

Once again:

If you have a "normal" Multivan, and you stay there with a caravan. You sleep in the caravan, and the kids sleep in the Multivan (no roof, no equipment, just a mattress in the boot. What will they charge you if you may not sleep in both?

View attachment 50204

View attachment 50205
wow that setup looks fantastic. I had a new Kombi and was looking at buying the Eriba but was not happy about towing so opted for the Cali. They are a lovely caravan

Back