Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tow bar mounted bike racks

M

Mike59

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all. I have been looking for a tow bar bike carrier for my e bike and I have seen the Buzz rack e scorpion 1 on the roof box company Web site. Has anyone else got one of these bike carriers and can you open the tallgate OK when it is tilted back.

Looks a good candidate to me

Times may have changed. Just over a year ago we looked into tow bar bike racks. There were not many that allowed the tail gate on a T6 to open, all discussed in various threads. This Scorpion rack was not one of them, but maybe they have changed the design - I doubt it. We went for a Pro-User Diament SG2-Plus. Must be the Plus for a T6. Very happy with it and it will take two e-bikes.

Times may have changed. Just over a year ago we looked into tow bar bike racks. There were not many that allowed the tail gate on a T6 to open, all discussed in various threads. This Scorpion rack was not one of them, but maybe they have changed the design - I doubt it. We went for a Pro-User Diament SG2-Plus. Must be the Plus for a T6. Very happy with it and it will take two e-bikes.
We got the Pro-user one too - also v happy with it carrying our two ebikes and tailgate opening no problem. Also - you can buy a ramp to wheel the bikes up onto the rack. We haven’t tried ours yet - we got it for the possibility that as we get even older (68 and 58), we may struggle lifting the bikes on :)

Hi all. I have been looking for a tow bar bike carrier for my e bike and I have seen the Buzz rack e scorpion 1 on the roof box company Web site. Has anyone else got one of these bike carriers and can you open the tallgate OK when it is tilted back.

Hi. I had the same issue 6 months ago when looking for a tow bar mounted bike rack. After recommendations from several Cali owners on here, I bought an Atera Strada DL3 which I am pleased with. See the photo below showing the tailgate clearing the rack with it slid backwards. Matt

7B37AA56-31C9-4C7E-BB70-437BAA055D74.jpeg

Hi. I had the same issue 6 months ago when looking for a tow bar mounted bike rack. After recommendations from several Cali owners on here, I bought an Atera Strada DL3 which I am pleased with. See the photo below showing the tailgate clearing the rack with it slid backwards. Matt

View attachment 96804
If possible, could you measure the max wheelbase achievable? The Altera website quotes a width of 1m. So, with the tyre saddles slid outwards as far as they can go, what is the distance between their centres?

The reason I ask is, I have a Westfalia unit similar to this but it’s woefully too short.
My mtb has a wheelbase of 1250mm. I’ve had to modify my rack to accommodate it.

Many thanks.

If possible, could you measure the max wheelbase achievable? The Altera website quotes a width of 1m. So, with the tyre saddles slid outwards as far as they can go, what is the distance between their centres?

The reason I ask is, I have a Westfalia unit similar to this but it’s woefully too short.

Many thanks.
Hi,

My van is away with my daughter at the moment, will measure for you after the weekend.

Matt

Many thanks.
My stumpy fits on the DL3 with a wheelbase of 1203mm. Not the best picture but gives an idea.
1659040914518.jpeg

Hi I’ve got the Thule VeloSpace XT 2 tow bar carrier on an Ocean 22, I’ve removed the wire straps so the carrier flips to the ground with my e-bike still attached and I’m able to open tailgate!

I have the Pro-User Diament, excellent with 2 ebikes, with easy access to tailgate. Sturdy and well built.

D540C625-B13E-415C-B504-5344EA92A8A9.jpeg

8CDDBE04-D48F-478F-B0EA-62F66308EC2E.jpeg

Hi I’ve got the Thule VeloSpace XT 2 tow bar carrier on an Ocean 22, I’ve removed the wire straps so the carrier flips to the ground with my e-bike still attached and I’m able to open tailgate!

Don’t mess about
Get the Thule product
Ticks all your boxes
Well made and international brand so no problem with spare parts
Always some for sale on eBay
Go for latest model ad it folds for storage

These are great, solid, clear the tailgate and fold for storage.
I see you only need to carry a single bike though, so your choice looks good. I bought mine from roofbox and they were super helpful so I’d give them a call to check it will clear a T6 tailgate

Many thanks.
Photo showing where the wheel holders are for my MTB. You will be fine. Identical both sides. C4910175-0AA0-4D00-9476-4ABB61F8E607.jpeg

View attachment 96804
This is what we went for too, and it does the job well (2 ebikes). However, it was a “bit stiff” the first half-dozen times we used it. Atera do a variety of options, so well-worth considering.

I have the e scorpion. The tailgate doesn’t open with it attached.

Back