Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tour de France 2023

• Thread starter EuropeanVanderlust
  • Start date
EuropeanVanderlust

EuropeanVanderlust

Vehicle
Grand California 600
We are heading to the 2023 Tour de France- it will be our first time spectating in person. We have read a ton here and on the internet- so we think we are prepared as we can be. We won't be taking on any mountain stages (this year)- planning to spectate Stages 1-3 in Spain/France.

Curious if anyone else is heading to spectate?

And would appreciate any last minute advice for Tour de France newbies.

Best,
Diane, Marek & Kona (the dog)

Take a chair with you!

The caravan, the entourage, passes through your section hours before the riders. It’s also great fun as they throw gifts at the audience.

If you want free stuff two tips.
1) Don’t stand near small, cute looking people
2) have a large bag, the men throwing gifts love a challenge of a hole in one.

We saw Froome ride past on a mountain stage, uphill a few years back. The pelotons were so incredibly fast even then, blink and you will miss them. Stage 1 from Bilbao might be similar.

We are going to try and make it there but we’re all a bit fluid at the minute with plans

This year we are exceptionally not going (summer trip to Switzerland) but every year that we went, we found that it is a spectacle mighty to behold. We already saw the start, flat rides, descents, uphill and arrivals; all very different and with their own peculiarities, fascinating to see. We usually take one or two stages per summertrip, so everything remains manageable and easy to organize.
Unless, of course, you go to see as many rides as possible. All will be difficult because some mountain stages you have to be there days in advance. But since you choose the first three rides that won't be a problem.
If you will not do any important mountain stages, you can just arrive in a village somewhere in the morning until the day itself and place yourself in a nice place. There are magazines to buy, but sometimes also free supplements to newspapers that contain each stage so that you can ride it the day before in search of a nice place. It is not difficult because there are also many yellow arrows and signs that are already there for the riders and you can also follow them.
We like to arrive the evening before and make it a pleasant evening. The next day you see everything from the day trip come to life and this is also fascinating to see. There is ambiance in many villages and towns. Some small villages really liven up from a tour pass. If you choose a flat ride, try not to stand along a long flat stretch because they fly by: you will hardly recognize someone and you will only hear the technology rushing by (which is also cool in itself).
The touring caravan is a cheerful experience and quite busy and sometimes noisy (I am thinking especially of the dog).
When the cyclists have passed,, everything is quickly packed up again and it is pleasant to walk around the village and have something to eat or drink and then follow the arrival on a screen (therefore: perhaps it is best to choose a slightly larger town with some eateries and cafés ;) ).
Have fun!

IMG_2619.JPG
Route du Galibier, Valloire Last year TdF.

Last edited:
On a flat stage the Peloton will flash past really quickly. I’d recommend at least a minor climb which will slow them up a bit. On a mountain stage, they will be all spread out and can get a good look at the riders. The roads will close several hours before the race comes through, so make sure you have everything you need with you when you park up.

seen the tour go past a few times and in different terrain (mountains, flat(ish) and TT). Your really there for the atmosphere and party feel rather than the racing. Most of my tips have already been mentioned but could also add:
On flat stages the peleton can get strung out by tight corners, also gives a more dynamic look as they corner.
Your great viewing point can change when everyone else surges forward.
Keep Kona on a lead or in the van when they come through. Loose dogs running through the riders isn't good for anyone, human or canine.
leave photography to the experts and enjoy through your senses not a viewfinder/screen (although the publicity caravan make good images).
After they have all passed through then the direction signs make good mementos of the day ;-) Sidecutters or penknife to remove from the road furniture.

Have fun @SlovakiaGrandCalifornia600

Not been to spectate but whilst driving the Grande Route Des Alpes a few years ago in our SL55 AMG (what a motor that was!), we did come across Team Sky training in the Alps. They were amazing. Got to chat at the top.

seen the tour go past a few times and in different terrain (mountains, flat(ish) and TT). Your really there for the atmosphere and party feel rather than the racing. Most of my tips have already been mentioned but could also add:
On flat stages the peleton can get strung out by tight corners, also gives a more dynamic look as they corner.
Your great viewing point can change when everyone else surges forward.
Keep Kona on a lead or in the van when they come through. Loose dogs running through the riders isn't good for anyone, human or canine.
leave photography to the experts and enjoy through your senses not a viewfinder/screen (although the publicity caravan make good images).
After they have all passed through then the direction signs make good mementos of the day ;-) Sidecutters or penknife to remove from the road furniture.
I can only agree: seeing them cornering at flat stages is breathtaking; also: we’ve seen the TdF many times now and have few pictures ;)
And for those directional arrows: yes, a multi tool (for the sidecutters) is handy because usually attached with iron wire.

We’re staying near Annecy when the tour rolls through. Definitely going to see the stage that is within walking distance of campsite and I might see one or two more that are nearby. Wanted to see this for many years, from watching every year right back to the channel 4 years. We’re a family of 5, so I’ll use the 3 kids, including cute little one to try and grab me some free stuff

We’re staying near Annecy when the tour rolls through. Definitely going to see the stage that is within walking distance of campsite and I might see one or two more that are nearby. Wanted to see this for many years, from watching every year right back to the channel 4 years. We’re a family of 5, so I’ll use the 3 kids, including cute little one to try and grab me some free stuff
You’ll get the most; without effort ;)

We’re trying to head for the finish at Stage 19 this year.