Touching up paint work

• Thread starter Not-tonyadventures
  • Start date
Not-tonyadventures

Not-tonyadventures

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Frustratingly this weekend, someone/something got too close to the side of our beautiful van when parked up, and left a permanent mark on the paint work. The van is comfortably within warranty. Just wondering if we have to be careful in who we go to get it repaired so as not to invalidate the warranty for the next few years? If so, can anyone recommend someone/somewhere in the Bristol area?

Could you put a pic on so we can get more of an idea how bad the mark is...

For tiny stone chips we just bought a small pen in Bayleaf green that we have used (FY22). So far just 2 tiny chips. The only issue with warranty would be if the paint issue area being claimed was in that area AND it could be proved that the home repair caused (or contributed to) the issue.

Last edited:
photo would assist in determining how best to approach a repair, if its a stone chip type damage, just touch it up with the correct primer / colour paint and seal it with clear coat.
if it’s more substantial it should be a VW approved repairer to maintain factory corrosion warranty.
if you can post a pic I’m sure you’ll get some opinions

I will post a picture tomorrow or this evening if I can. Thank you all.

Gives an idea of the scratch. Feels rough to touch. Some does come off when I pick at it but anxious or causing more damage. Thanks for your thoughts.

9AED7597-03BF-42C8-990D-0B01EB66629F.jpeg

That looks like paint or plastic transfer. Wash it first, then gently pick off with a fingernail, or use car polish. Once polished off, wax it to protect again. I'll bet it'll all come off and you'll be good as new again :)

If that fails, call your local demon dent master.
£60 and they will sort it.
Did an amazing job on a massive dent on my velar.

I can’t tell from the photo if there is a crease ?

as said above a lot of that looks like plastic transfer from The other vehicle.

as you have a flat colour (not metallic ) you can be a little more aggressive.

Clean the panel fully with a good car wash

Initially use Wd40 on a cloth to remove the transferred plastic.

follow that with a proprietary good quality paint cleaner (see Meguiars deep crystal step1) let it sit on the damage a while, then polish it off, reapply etc. As necessary

reassess if required use a clay bar with appropriate lubrication to polish the remaining marks

when you are happy (if) apply polish, then wax

I think you may be surprised how good you can get that with a bit of time and effort

I had a similar carpark mark/scrape.
I had white paint residue from the offenders car (long gone) which I did polish off,
I used Autoglym resin polish as it has a mild scratch remover

If you can see the undercoat primer then don't try to polish it out as you will just thin the surrounding paint/lacquer layers.

Thank you all for your advice. Looks like a job fit the weekend. I Will let you know hotter it goes. Much appreciated. Thank you.

Ive got a very similar mark on my Ascot Grey Coast so would be interested to hear how you get on - I have tried T Cut & Super Resin Polish but did not improve.

T Cut has always worked great for me in removing marks.
T-Cut Rapid Paintwork Scratch Remover, 150g https://amzn.eu/d/i2fO9IB
Then a quick wash and wax to make it disappear forever.

Was it in a supermarket where this happened.
No. A car park/field at a lovely family rare breeds farm. Was a wonderful weekend camping and entertaining 3 under 6 year olds. Didn’t detract from the weekend (too much).

No. A car park/field at a lovely family rare breeds farm. Was a wonderful weekend camping and entertaining 3 under 6 year olds. Didn’t detract from the weekend (too much).
The reason I asked is because it looks like a trolly scrape. Also doesn’t look serious enough from being scraped by another vehicle. Also if it was another vehicle you normally find the offending colour mixed with yours. Whatever way you look at it there is still a scrape that needs fixing. If it’s not dented and no actual Lacquer and paint scraped off then it possibly can be polished out. If it’s gone through the Lacquer and paint the whole panel would need to be resprayed for a proper job.

The reason I asked is because it looks like a trolly scrape. Also doesn’t look serious enough from being scraped by another vehicle. Also if it was another vehicle you normally find the offending colour mixed with yours. Whatever way you look at it there is still a scrape that needs fixing. If it’s not dented and no actual Lacquer and paint scraped off then it possibly can be polished out. If it’s gone through the Lacquer and paint the whole panel would need to be resprayed for a proper job.
Thank you. Doesn’t look dented. I Will explore if the paint has been scrapped off and in need of a re spray.

Thanks for all your advice - T-cut has managed to remove almost so of it. It was clearly superficial. No harm done. Thanks again.