Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Torn bellows- repair or replace?!

C

CaliAli

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 102
Hi guys, I'm after some informed advice please and I know this site is a goldmine... I bought a 2013 Cali Ocean with a view to renting it out this summer. It's just come back from its very first rental over the Easter weekend and the renters have torn the bellows by catching it in the hinge mechanism. I have read a few threads on this very issue, and understand an invisible tent repair type thing can be very effective. My question really is, would a cheap repair patch affect the resale price much? I have the opportunity to recover the cost of a full replacement via the damage deposit from the renters. I'm trying to weigh up whether the guilt would be worth it ! Would a patch significantly devalue the van ?! Thanks in advance

wonder where they went over easter ? ha, you may have started something there mate.
anyway in answer to your question if your selling it, get the bellows changed and take it out of the deposit. if your continuing to rent it out, fix it for now. i think tear aid fabric repair is a popular cheap fix. also for rentals, fit a bellows bungee for a tenner.

wonder where they went over easter ? ha, you may have started something there mate.
anyway in answer to your question if your selling it, get the bellows changed and take it out of the deposit. if your continuing to rent it out, fix it for now. i think tear aid fabric repair is a popular cheap fix. also for rentals, fit a bellows bungee for a tenner.
They just took it for day trips to the local beach and had sleep overs in their own drive way. Handovers were obviously outside and we were only two households and less than 6 anyway...so pretty careful not to break any rules! Thank you for your advice, much appreciated

If you’re renting it out, perhaps hold off on any repairs until you’ve finished renting. I’m sure you’ll have a big list by the end of the season...

If you are hiring out, this is almost inevitable. Fit a bellows bungee and on handover, take the hirers through the roof operation in detail and highlight the risk of catching the fabric. You’ve then carried out due diligence. If they damage it, it depends on the extent of the damage. There is also the issue of betterment i.e. receiving a brand new canvas on an 8 year old van. You’ve got to be fair and reasonable. Are you going to demand a full brand new canvas from each person who nicks it? Of course not. Repair it with tear aid because it will happen again, and maybe ask for 10% of the replacement cost. When it’s looking really tatty, replace it.

If you are hiring out, this is almost inevitable. Fit a bellows bungee and on handover, take the hirers through the roof operation in detail and highlight the risk of catching the fabric. You’ve then carried out due diligence. If they damage it, it depends on the extent of the damage. There is also the issue of betterment i.e. receiving a brand new canvas on an 8 year old van. You’ve got to be fair and reasonable. Are you going to demand a full brand new canvas from each person who nicks it? Of course not. Repair it with tear aid because it will happen again, and maybe ask for 10% of the replacement cost. When it’s looking really tatty, replace it.
Don't follow your 'Betterment' logic.
If a body panel was damaged and had to be replaced would you also consider that as betterment and only charge 10%?

If a body panel was damaged and had to be replaced would you also consider that as betterment and only charge 10%?

If one of the panels got a small door ding in it would you expect a complete new panel or just a chips away chap to touch it up? Small nick in the roof fabric should just be a repair patch.
We don't really know from the description if we are talking about a huge rip or just a small cut.

Replace or repaired? If replaced, chances are it will be an insurance job. If you rent a house out with an 8 year old carpet and the tenant damages a small piece of the carpet, do you charge for a whole brand new one? Of course not, that’s not fair and reasonable.

If one of the panels got a small door ding in it would you expect a complete new panel or just a chips away chap to touch it up? Small nick in the roof fabric should just be a repair patch.
We don't really know from the description if we are talking about a huge rip or just a small cut.
Not talking about a small scratch but you not expect the full cost to do a repair on that or just a token offering whatever the degree of damage?

Description said torn so assumption being that any patch would be visible and definitely have a negative result in the resale value. Any astute Buyer would knock off circa £1,000 to allow for a replacement including fitting & loss of use.

to me it highlights the perils of Private Hiring.

@CaliAli can we see a photo of the damage? is it just a nick or a big rip?

Try to get full replacement cost from the renters, then just patch it up as bound to happen again due to its poor design.

Fit a new one just before you sell.
Not sure that would get a very good customer review, taking a grand off them for a Tear Aid kit! Might even end up on Watchdog.

Not sure that would get a very good customer review, taking a grand off them for a Tear Aid kit! Might even end up on Watchdog.
Fair point, but at least ultimately you would end up with your awning in the same state as when you rented it to them.

If insured for accidental damage - Once replaced you can refund them them any difference between any insurance excess / deposit paid.

Charge them a couple hundred and don't replace it until finished renting / about to sell. Sods law you get a new tent and it gets torn again next rental.

Back