Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Topper for the VW Comfort Matress on the 3 seater Beach

kave

kave

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
I have studied most threads in the Seating/Sleeping forum but found nothing related to the Beach lower bed.
We have the VW Comfort Matress and are having back pains after 1-2 nights away.
Options for us is replace the VW matress with a 550€ Calibed, but it seems it won't even make up for the shape of the bench: https://shop.vwcamper.de/schlafkomfort/196/calibed-prestige-beach

Another option is a small Ikea topper för 75€, problem is in Sweden it is 140 or 160cm while the bench is 150cm http://www.ikea.com/se/sv/catalog/products/30298240/#/30298235

Any ideas?

Kave this is our setup.

First layer is a gel memory foam layer over the seats. This gets rid of the lumps and bumps.

http://www.dunelm.com/category/home...MI9ufy2r301gIVERbTCh15vg-IEAQYASABEgJowvD_BwE

Second layer over the top is a triple layer Zonesleeper. This adds another layer of comfort, but more importantly keeps us cool when sleeping as you won’t sweat with zonesleeper like you do with memory foam.
When not in use, we fold them over onto the multiflex.

Also, we found feet at tailgate more comfortable, than head at tailgate.

I have a comfortz mattress, I think its a memory foam one. Incredibly comfortable.

How thin is the Comfortz? It looks like its 1cm in the shops picture.

How thin is the Comfortz? It looks like its 1cm in the shops picture.
Have you thought about trying self inflating mattresses. They are not that thick ( 2-3 cm at most) but provide that extra bit of give. I don't know if you can buy a double so I am suggesting two singles. Most camping shops will sell them.

Have you thought about trying self inflating mattresses. They are not that thick ( 2-3 cm at most) but provide that extra bit of give. I don't know if you can buy a double so I am suggesting two singles. Most camping shops will sell them.

I’ve had them in the past Borris. In fact I still have two singles as spares for the odd time in tents and sometimes use one in the top bunk.
They help, but still can’t beat my above setup for comfort :cool:

Kave this is our setup.

First layer is a gel memory foam layer over the seats. This gets rid of the lumps and bumps.

http://www.dunelm.com/category/home-and-furniture/bedding/mattress-toppers?sku_id=30172115&cm_mmc=pla_google-_-PLA - GS - Bedding-_-Mattress Toppers - New-_-keyword&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9ufy2r301gIVERbTCh15vg-IEAQYASABEgJowvD_BwE

Second layer over the top is a triple layer Zonesleeper. This adds another layer of comfort, but more importantly keeps us cool when sleeping as you won’t sweat with zonesleeper like you do with memory foam.
When not in use, we fold them over onto the multiflex.

Also, we found feet at tailgate more comfortable, than head at tailgate.
Thank you. Any pics from this packed up?
I am leaning towards the Calibed, main advantage it folds up in three parts.

EC7C3428-AE9B-4C16-8CD0-DCBF5A7D689A.jpeg
Thank you. Any pics from this packed up?
I am leaning towards the Calibed, main advantage it folds up in three parts.

Kave
Sorry I don’t seem to have many pictures of it all packed away, except this one to give you an idea.
Here you can see the two toppers rolled up onto the multi. Pillows and covers on top, plus front screen cover and other bits and pieces.

Here is another

2139FBE7-82CB-43D7-9D2D-C934253A3929.jpeg

Somebody likes the Cali life.

I am mindful about going off thread but I would be very interested in your thoughts and observations on your slide out boot tray when used in the Beach. Pros and cons etc would be of great interest. Getting stuff out from under the multiflex thingy is always a bit of a faff and one of those trays could be the answer. Would/could you please send me a PM.

Many thanks
Paul

Somebody likes the Cali life.

I am mindful about going off thread but I would be very interested in your thoughts and observations on your slide out boot tray when used in the Beach. Pros and cons etc would be of great interest. Getting stuff out from under the multiflex thingy is always a bit of a faff and one of those trays could be the answer. Would/could you please send me a PM.

Many thanks
Paul

Simply brilliant.
Wish I had done it years ago. So glad to get the fridge out of the main living area.
Just helps us stay better organised when travelling :thumb

I have thought about it, I have the thickest Thermarest for camping but when used in the Beach it's quite a bit of work to put air in and out and it doesn't compensate for the multiflexboard being lower than the seat. I have no problem with a mattress setup taking space in the van when not used.

Simply brilliant.
Wish I had done it years ago. So glad to get the fridge out of the main living area.
Just helps us stay better organised when travelling :thumb
Is your fridge a Waeco CFX? If so which model is it? I am also going to get one for our Beach but am uncertain which model to go for. I would like the 38litre version but would also want to be able to hide it in the boot on one of those slide out trays. The 38litre job may be too high. Your fridge seems to fit perfectly.

It’s the Webasto TB41. It only just fits, height wise. Major worry when building the rack. Had to make sure my measurements were spot on.
Thankfully it all worked out for the best.

Must say, I’m over the moon with its performance. Expensive, but worth it to keep our food & drink cold.

Is your fridge a Waeco CFX? If so which model is it? I am also going to get one for our Beach but am uncertain which model to go for. I would like the 38litre version but would also want to be able to hide it in the boot on one of those slide out trays. The 38litre job may be too high. Your fridge seems to fit perfectly.
We have the CFX28, fits just fine. I think I would add a smaller fridge to use between front seats before buying an even larger one. Here is the CFX28 on one of the drawers. We have two, one that is the exact width of the fridge and the other as wide as possible.
i-PQ9K4JJ-XL.jpg

We have a small kitchen module where we keep all kitchen stuff next to the fridge:
i-GtmjGGx-X2.jpg

I have studied most threads in the Seating/Sleeping forum but found nothing related to the Beach lower bed.
We have the VW Comfort Matress and are having back pains after 1-2 nights away.
Options for us is replace the VW matress with a 550€ Calibed, but it seems it won't even make up for the shape of the bench: https://shop.vwcamper.de/schlafkomfort/196/calibed-prestige-beach

Another option is a small Ikea topper för 75€, problem is in Sweden it is 140 or 160cm while the bench is 150cm http://www.ikea.com/se/sv/catalog/products/30298240/#/30298235

Any ideas?
As with anything related to the VW Cali' range the phrase 'outrageously expensive' is the norm. Have you tired enquiring with a seamstress who could alter the size of an Ikea (or other brand) of topper for you.

It is, but a good normal topper that is not foldable is not cheap either.

It’s the Webasto TB41. It only just fits, height wise. Major worry when building the rack. Had to make sure my measurements were spot on.
Thankfully it all worked out for the best.

Must say, I’m over the moon with its performance. Expensive, but worth it to keep our food & drink cold.
:thumb
We have the CFX28, fits just fine. I think I would add a smaller fridge to use between front seats before buying an even larger one. Here is the CFX28 on one of the drawers. We have two, one that is the exact width of the fridge and the other as wide as possible.
i-PQ9K4JJ-XL.jpg

We have a small kitchen module where we keep all kitchen stuff next to the fridge:
i-GtmjGGx-X2.jpg
Thanks Kave,
The CFX 28 looks like a very good fit. As there is usually just the two of us camping, the CFX 28 would be ideal. My original idea was to buy the 38 litre version however whilst I don't know for sure, that version may take up too much valuable space and also be too tall to store on the pull out tray.

Very interesting photograph. Why did you decide to go for two separate pull out trays instead of one big one? Can I ask, where you purchased them or did you make them up yourself?

Many thanks
Paul

:thumb

Thanks Kave,
The CFX 28 looks like a very good fit. As there is usually just the two of us camping, the CFX 28 would be ideal. My original idea was to buy the 38 litre version however whilst I don't know for sure, that version may take up too much valuable space and also be too tall to store on the pull out tray.

Very interesting photograph. Why did you decide to go for two separate pull out trays instead of one big one? Can I ask, where you purchased them or did you make them up yourself?

Many thanks
Paul
I made them myself, I just followed this "http://bau-ich-mir-selbst.de/selbstbauanregung-heckauszug-fuer-vw-t5-t6-california-multivan-2/"
The the fridge stands really well by its own in it's own drawer.
Sometimes I like to grab something in the back (1m long) it's easier than if it was just one drawer.