Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Top Gear Cali

C

Calibo

VIP Member
Interesting reading in the September issue,Top Gear have added a loaded 180 Cali to their long term vehicles.

Initial impression - they like it.

Been meaning to re-subscribe to TG magazine, and that is the final push that I need :)

If you want to subscribe I found this link to get 5 editions for £5 and you get a free Stig Key ring - so if you remember to cancel the DD then it is a bargain :)

buysubscriptions.com/TGP714

T

I hope this one has as much go wrong with it as mine did, so that the lie of "vw reliability " can be further exposed

Why do people want this exposed, we will not gain anything from this apart from making the California unsellable or at least losing money on them. The phrase shooting yourself in the foot comes to mind

The Top Gear article has nothing to do with the roof corrosion or any other warranty issue.

They simply get a bunch of cars on long term loan (I think it is a few month rather than real long term) - then they allocate them to one of their writers who uses it as a family car for a few month - they report back monthly - but only a short article.

I imagine they will be positive.

T

Trudy said:
Why do people want this exposed, we will not gain anything from this apart from making the California unsellable or at least losing money on them. The phrase shooting yourself in the foot comes to mind

I am a great believer in honesty and openness. It is not a religious thing, I was just brought up that way. Honest societies function better than dishonest ones. If vw's pathetic build quality were highlighted, it would build better cars in future. It is still living off a reputation gained in the 60s to 90s, but more and more folk are learning the truth.

gatvol said:
Trudy said:

I am a great believer in honesty and openness. It is not a religious thing, I was just brought up that way. Honest societies function better than dishonest ones. If vw's pathetic build quality were highlighted, it would build better cars in future. It is still living off a reputation gained in the 60s to 90s, but more and more folk are learning the truth.
The trouble is that I am quite satisfied with the build quality of my vans so i would not consider it honest to go round saying they the build quality is bad. And when we have had a major problem, the roof corrosion, in my case it has been dealt with very well. Their communication has been good after I followed up and they are collecting our van on a low loaders to avoid putting extra miles on the clock.
Clearly our experiences differ but I would not want someone to go round rubbishing VW when I am happy with what they have done .
Finally, have you read some of the complaints about British motor homes in the MMM magazine? That can make your toes curl.

David

We used to have a motorhome and if you want to talk about bad build quality have a look at the motorhome forums, we are talking motorhomes that are double the price of the California. Dont get me wrong, I have had a few issues with mine but I still dont think anything out there comes near to the California.

All these people that moan about it must still love their Cali or else they would have it up for sale in the classified section.

Be interested to see how they get on. Chris Evans has just bought a California as well.

cheers

smgcowfold said:
Be interested to see how they get on. Chris Evans has just bought a California as well.

cheers

I wondered what he had bought, but he mentioned long wheel base on his show, so I assumed not Cali

I heard one day that he had bought a camper and I wondered whether or not it was a California. Then I heard him say the day afterwards that it was a California and the previous owners had brought the vehicle to him to see and demonstrate how everything works.

cheers

I'm sure its a Danbury conversion based on a long wheel base he has bought.

Yep he has a white Danbury conversion.

T

Well I for one am still a great believer in VW build quatlity - I have had Golf GTi's since they started making them in the early 80's and none of them has ever given me any grief .. my Cali seems fine (12 reg), nothing has fallen off or broken, everything works and the roof isn't even rusty, but I'll keep a look out just in case.

Back