Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Top 5 Cali Paranoia

Yet another, the Beach is best because there are so few for sale. Probably so few for sale because so few were bought in the first place.
Before this goes any further, in line with the spirit of this thread, my earlier post 27 was a tongue in cheek remark that wasn't intended to be taken seriously. I was merely poking fun at the perennial Beach v Ocean argument that had aready been reintroduced earlier in this thread. Of course it doesn't matter a jot which model someone prefers just as long as they are happy with it. And for the record, if it wasn't for the, what should be light hearted forum banter, I don't really care which model that is. I've owned both and they are both great vehicles.

Ahh, so this is where the strange marketing of VW and the mix-up of comparisons come from
Exactly a MPV with a Pop up roof.
Trouble is, the Caravelle comes with a lot more goodies in the UK as it is marketed as a MPV. Leather upholstery, 4Motion etc Unlike the, whose name cannot be mentioned.
I have a Caravelle Executive that we use for camping. Two single seats removed so it's down to a 5 seater. Rear triple seat is my bed. I have twin side loading doors so have the wind out awning on one side and my drive away awning on the other. I tend to cook under the wind out awning if it's raining. I have retrofitted a Cali tailgate panel with the two chairs inside and the blackout blind. This set up works for the two of us and dog. Not bothered about the pop top as I don't tend to stand around in the van much and don't need the extra bed space. Each to their own...........

I have a Caravelle Executive that we use for camping. Two single seats removed so it's down to a 5 seater. Rear triple seat is my bed. I have twin side loading doors so have the wind out awning on one side and my drive away awning on the other. I tend to cook under the wind out awning if it's raining. I have retrofitted a Cali tailgate panel with the two chairs inside and the blackout blind. This set up works for the two of us and dog. Not bothered about the pop top as I don't tend to stand around in the van much and don't need the extra bed space. Each to their own...........
Similar setup here (euro Multivan is like a UK 'velle), except single side door. Works great except now the boy needs his own bed. Replacing it with an Ocean next year but tbh I'm still not entirely convinced a Beach wouldn't work just as well for us (and probably would arrive long before February)

By far the most dangerous thing I’ve repeatedly done in the Cali (not counting drinking from the tap) is pull out of a quiet French petrol station and drive half a mile on the wrong side of the road. We usually then see a lorry heading our way and my wife says “aren’t you on the wrong side of the road?”. I say “yep” and calmly move over.
Then there’s usually an awkward silence for a bit.
Just tell her the views better this side

We’re all going to be stuck with polluting diesels whilst the rest of the camping fraternity are roaming freely in their electric campervans.
If the 2030 electric vehicle thing actually happens I think the value of the combustion engine vehicles will go up, only once the service stations stop selling fuel will you start to see the fall in the price of combustion vehicles. That’s where the money will be made in the last year you can buy one and sell it for a profit the following year

Lets just say that it's the Beach that's really intended for the "discerning" customer whilst the SE/Ocean is for "beginners". After all an SE/Ocean is the obvious choice for any aspiring California buyer. It's only later that the truth begins to dawn. :thumb

I'll get my coat.
I think you dropped the Mic and walked off

Can confirm. THere's no snobbery here because the vans are not wildly different in cost. Beach is the biggest seller as I think it suits the lifestyle here - younger, active families who'll be skiing most weekends in season and up and down the coast in summer. Sleeping in the van less. We went down the Ocean path as there's just 3 of us.
The demographic seems very different. When I see an Ocean on UK plates here or over the border, it's almost always piloted by pensioners. That's my perception at least.
Jesus!!! I’m not even 60 yet

I think you're seeing what you want to see.

Consider a different perspective: drop the hierarchal / pecking order view.

Why not think everyone drives their first choice?

Maybe you only spend 10k on van because you work as a Nurse and that's what's affordable. Do we look down on those people too? Or someone has a Cali, they are happy, someone else comes in a Hymer (like I was trying to say earlier on this thread). Cool its got more space, personally doesn't fit my daily needs.

Maybe someone doesn't give a sh*t about campers and drives a battered old Saab, but is super happy and/or worth millions?

I just don't understand the view that anyone who doesn't have what you consider to be the best is somehow due to anything other than personal choice.

Are you happy with what you're driving? Assume so, that's great
I am too
So... what are we fighting about?
Now you can drop the mic and walk away

Losing my pillow (dropping) when sleeping in the pop top

Again and again, the last few days: Ocean To Beach
The best subject when there is nothing better to do than pretend that others' choices are worse than theirs :sorry

Again and again, the last few days: Ocean To Beach
The best subject when there is nothing better to do than pretend that others' choices are worse than theirs :sorry
half of us are waiting 10-12mths for our vans, you're right there's nothing better to do!

If the 2030 electric vehicle thing actually happens I think the value of the combustion engine vehicles will go up, only once the service stations stop selling fuel will you start to see the fall in the price of combustion vehicles. That’s where the money will be made in the last year you can buy one and sell it for a profit the following year

Not sure about that. I dread to think how much diesel will cost by then.

Not sure about that. I dread to think how much diesel will cost by then.

I dread to think what a unit of electricity will cost.
The days of cheap energy are well and truly finished…

I dread to think what a unit of electricity will cost.
The days of cheap energy are well and truly finished…
Well given that the good ole US of A is so wealthy due to oil being traded in dollars I can’t see lecky outstripping oil any time soon.

Thi
Yes, there are going to be big tax hikes for EV’s once they reach a critical mass. Just like diesel cars 20 years ago.
s true. I can remember when diesel was cheaper than petrol

Yes, there are going to be big tax hikes for EV’s once they reach a critical mass. Just like diesel cars 20 years ago.
The rule of Economics

Governments have to tax the populist otherwise the system won’t work.
The move to EV has a lot to do with Economic reasons as well as environmental, that is why certain governments embrace it, keeps the money sloshing around the world economy and keeps people in jobs which all brings in taxes from employment to sales of vehicles to usage of fuel ( whether that be dinosaur fuel or Leccy or what ever else will come out when the populist have converted to the next greatest thing)

Last edited:
The rule of Economics

Governments have to tax the populist otherwise the system won’t work.
The move to EV has a lot to do with Economic reasons as well as environmenta, that is why certain governments embrace it, keeps the money sloshing around the world econom and keeps people in jobs which all brings in taxes from employment to sales of vehicles to usage of fuel ( whether that be dinosaur fuel or Leccy or what ever else will come out when the populist have converted to the next greatest thing)

Indeed. It’s fair to say cheap electricity is a thing of the past. The demand from EV’s will further drive up prices and there will no doubt be a levy to charge vehicles. No question in my mind that the fuel cost per mile will be the same as petrol / diesel once we’re all switched into EV’s. This might come sooner than we think. The best thing we can do to help the environment is drive less, however it’s powered.