Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tips for living (almost) full time in T6.1 ocean??

onlyyoungtwice

onlyyoungtwice

VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
Hi everyone, I’m new here and in the market for advice from experienced cali campers!

I am about to embark on a grand plan to spend a year in Scotland camping in my Cali and walking munros! I’m very excited but also suitably daunted…

I’ve taken a year off work, and am giving up my rented flat in London. I bought a T6.1 ocean earlier this year and have done a couple of weekend trips so far. I will be able to pop to see family from time to time, but I intend to live in the van most of the time from September.

I’m interested in any advice you have to offer on camping longer trips / full time?!

It will be just me solo, so I can take up all the space in the van. I’ve got a cinch tent ordered, which seemed more manageable to put up and take down on my own than most awnings, and should be a good guest room for friends when they visit. Anything else I should buy? Or be aware of?!

Thanks
Ashley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone, I’m new here and in the market for advice from experienced cali campers!

I am about to embark on a grand plan to spend a year in Scotland camping in my Cali and walking munros! I’m very excited but also suitably daunted…

I’ve taken a year off work, and am giving up my rented flat in London. I bought a T6.1 ocean earlier this year and have done a couple of weekend trips so far. I will be able to pop to see family from time to time, but I intend to live in the van most of the time from September.

I’m interested in any advice you have to offer on camping longer trips / full time?!

It will be just me solo, so I can take up all the space in the van. I’ve got a cinch tent ordered, which seemed more manageable to put up and take down on my own than most awnings, and should be a good guest room for friends when they visit. Anything else I should buy? Or be aware of?!

Thanks
Ashley

Winter in Scotland, tyres - winter or at least All Season tyres.
Topper or extra insulation for the roof bellows.
If you are using internal water tank, stop it freezing. Open wardrobe door and use Parking heater liberally.
Short trips on a diesel can destroy the DPF as it cannot regenerate.

Welcome, good luck, you're mad!

A cali would be one of the last things I would have chosen to live in for a Scottish winter.
You need to think about insulation for the roof & water systems& sorting the gas supply, the 907s bottles don't work once they get too cold.

Are you thinking of staying on sites for showers etc?
Electrical hook up would mean electric heaters could be used.

Thanks
Ashley

I’ve just done a winter in Scotland, mainly stuck on family drive (lockdowns) so had hookup.
You will find it very hard in a cali, even on campsites.
We had a -10 in Perthshire and Cairngorms was even colder for very long periods and lots of snow.
I switched from a cali to a joker to do what you want to do.
Winters are still hard in a bigger van not for the faint hearted. I’ve done 3 now 1xScotland, 1x alps, and 1x new forest.
Probably best to speak to lightning as he full times in cali, not sure if he braves the colder climates though.

Top of the list is a good sleeping bag and remember even in the freezing cold the van needs ventilation.
Your gas will stop working and your water will freeze.
Drying things in a cali and having a place for wet clothes will be a challenge, joker has a wetroom area and back boot to hang everything up.

Another good buy Vango usb heat mat and hot water bottle.

I live in mine. I spent much of last winter in the Arctic circle. Get an iso top and just leave the heater on permanently. You will have find a way to keep the leisure batteries charged up, hook up, generator, or running the van engine.
The van is small to live in, but it’s comfortable enough for one, but don’t buy any stuff unless you know it’s essential, you only really find out what’s essential once you have lived in it for a few months, and different seasons. I had to get rid of non essential stuff to make room.
Get a multi gym access membership for hot showers, if you don’t plan staying on sites.

Just to add a couple of things, I use launderettes for washing and drying clothes.

I have added an underslung LPG tank, as 907 cylinders are stupidly over priced, and struggle a bit if it’s well below freezing outside.

I also added a solar panel which is handy in the summer.

Getting things fixed is real pain, as you are homeless while it’s in the workshop. Sort out any teething problems with the van before moving in if you can.

Thanks so much, great advice.

Lightning that’s amazing you did winter in Arctic Circle?!

Hilariously the Iso-Top isn’t expected back in stock until….mid January 2022!! Haha. May need to look into other options. I’m not so sure about external bellows insulation because I don’t fancy packing it away all the time, though it might be a must.

LPG tank is interesting, I’ll look into that. I expect I’ll probably stay on camp sites a fair but in the winter to have electric too, and electric heaters plus some insulation might keep the water tank on the right side of 0, and if it’s getting super cold I might empty the water tank for a wee while.

Will definitely stock up on warmer things as we get towards winter. Thankfully I’ve got family in a few places around Scotland so I might beg to have a box of things in various garages so I can rotate out seasonal stuff.

What were the non essentials that got ditched?

I’ve just done a winter in Scotland, mainly stuck on family drive (lockdowns) so had hookup.
You will find it very hard in a cali, even on campsites.
We had a -10 in Perthshire and Cairngorms was even colder for very long periods and lots of snow.
I switched from a cali to a joker to do what you want to do.
Winters are still hard in a bigger van not for the faint hearted. I’ve done 3 now 1xScotland, 1x alps, and 1x new forest.
Probably best to speak to lightning as he full times in cali, not sure if he braves the colder climates though.

Top of the list is a good sleeping bag and remember even in the freezing cold the van needs ventilation.
Your gas will stop working and your water will freeze.
Drying things in a cali and having a place for wet clothes will be a challenge, joker has a wetroom area and back boot to hang everything up.

Another good buy Vango usb heat mat and hot water bottle.

Yea drying out heaps of wet kit is one of my bigger worries, especially when it’s soaked and freezing, may take days to fully dry. I might hang stuff in tent to dry, tho if conditions are still wet that might not be a goer. I might stay at some sites with drying rooms when it’s really wet.

Yea drying out heaps of wet kit is one of my bigger worries, especially when it’s soaked and freezing, may take days to fully dry. I might hang stuff in tent to dry, tho if conditions are still wet that might not be a goer. I might stay at some sites with drying rooms when it’s really wet.

Lots of sites shut over the winter, glenmore is all year and I think braemar is too. They both offer a empty and fill up service if you don’t want to stay on them, so does ballater.
All in the Cairngorms for great hiking.
Read on a post someone on forum is about to sell isotop doesn’t have the front unzip section for newer cali though.

When it’s properly cold, or noisy, you might have to close the roof and sleep downstairs. The less stuff you have to move to set up the bed downstairs, the happier you will be.

The stuff I dumped were mostly luxury things that became annoying taking up space. I had a dyson fan heater, used too much power. A fake fur throw heated blanket thing, annoying, a wifi signal booster etc, it was a lot of stuff.

Getting the basics of environment control, minimising the hobo shuffle, and hygiene right is half the battle. There is a lot of down time so you need to be able to occupy yourself, or get a zebedeee.

Thanks so much, great advice.

Lightning that’s amazing you did winter in Arctic Circle?!

Hilariously the Iso-Top isn’t expected back in stock until….mid January 2022!! Haha. May need to look into other options. I’m not so sure about external bellows insulation because I don’t fancy packing it away all the time, though it might be a must.

LPG tank is interesting, I’ll look into that. I expect I’ll probably stay on camp sites a fair but in the winter to have electric too, and electric heaters plus some insulation might keep the water tank on the right side of 0, and if it’s getting super cold I might empty the water tank for a wee while.

Will definitely stock up on warmer things as we get towards winter. Thankfully I’ve got family in a few places around Scotland so I might beg to have a box of things in various garages so I can rotate out seasonal stuff.

What were the non essentials that got ditched?

I've not had an Isotop and know people swear by them, but I have the Thais equivalent which is very good and may be easier to get?

The key is how you store stuff in the California.
You must ensure you slim down to essential items only. Working out how and where to store stuff takes a bit of time and use.
If you’re solo, I would recommend using the roof bed as much as possible and leaving downstairs as living space.

Good luck with the adventures

When it’s properly cold, or noisy, you might have to close the roof and sleep downstairs. The less stuff you have to move to set up the bed downstairs, the happier you will be.

The stuff I dumped were mostly luxury things that became annoying taking up space. I had a dyson fan heater, used too much power. A fake fur throw heated blanket thing, annoying, a wifi signal booster etc, it was a lot of stuff.

Getting the basics of environment control, minimising the hobo shuffle, and hygiene right is half the battle. There is a lot of down time so you need to be able to occupy yourself, or get a zebedeee.

How often do you have to close the roof due to wind? That is one of my worries tbh - realistically am I going to have a lot of time unable to stand up in van?

Oh geez that is a lot of snow in one day for May. Zebedee looks very happy though!!

How often do you have to close the roof due to wind? That is one of my worries tbh - realistically am I going to have a lot of time unable to stand up in van?

Rarely, if it’s torrential sideways rain, for many hours, the material becomes porous on mine and you get no sleep anyway as it’s very noisy, and there is buffeting. Sometimes I leave the roof up, drop the upstairs bed, close the hatch and sleep downstairs. Noise cancelling headphones help me.

Fab thanks v much that looks like a good option

I have had a Thais liner previously, one advantage is that its a light colour inside so lightens up the roof space, the down side is that is more of a rubberised material than the brandrup isotop so doesn't breath. I only changed ours as it didn't have the optional opening front window.

During winter in Scotland? Not renowned for light winter breezes. Really depends where you are parked regarding shelter from the wind & rain.

Have you thought about the Joker instead of the California…?
Will remove some of the challenges you will face.

To be honest, I hadn’t, but you never know I might consider a trade-up along the way for the boot room and hot water

Rarely, if it’s torrential sideways rain, for many hours, the material becomes porous on mine and you get no sleep anyway as it’s very noisy, and there is buffeting. Sometimes I leave the roof up, drop the upstairs bed, close the hatch and sleep downstairs. Noise cancelling headphones help me.
Firstly it will be a great experience if prepared !
i have had 7 years now in vans all year round for a few nights or so a week with work.
If you are very west, horizontal rain is not uncommon, often with 30-50mph wind at sea level, anywhere west of the A9 is significantly wetter than the Cairngorms.
i tend to lowers the roof as & dont need the space or the hassle of an external roof cover.
If camping away from a campsite or a secure venue, always be ready to be able to move if you feel threatened without going outside, i have never had an issue but being sensitive to the locals is key, most are friendly and just need to positively engage !
Get midge blinds, jerba sell them or convert the VW ones to midge net as i did.
Enjoy the munros, might see you as we are on the Corbetts now and hope continue bagging though the winter

If you are stopping on campsites and have hook up, might consider having one of these on board,

It fits perfectly between the two front seats, so does not infringe on the passenger cabin even when in use, it’s very good at lower temperatures as well, it will make a big difference to moisture levels plus will help hugely with drying clothes or gear.

As for washing if there is no access to laundrette the scrubba works really well, amazingly well in fact

Back