soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Kennycalifornia
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hey Peeps.

Anyone fitted curtains to the front of their California.
I currently use an external screen, but after a dreadful night of rain last year the external screen was saturated and storing back in the van made everything soaking and got me thinking about internal screens instead.

So was thinking, has anyone fitted a curtain set around the front set of windows...?
:hello

Which external cover have you got? We have never had a problem with it being soaked as it just wipes down with a microfibre cloth and can then be put away totally dry.

Our external covers are waterproof as well. The only problem with internal curtains or screens is the condensation build up. Be interested in also hearing what external screen cover you have?

My 'smurf' has a front curtain as standard. It 'press-studs' onto buttons placed around the top of the glass line. It is the same shape as an external cover. It removes completely, and stores away.

I also carry an external screen (thin in summer, thick in winter). They are slightly less faff to fit, but I usually use the curtains if the air is damp or rain is expected.

You could use a similar set-up, but my plastic trim is recessed to accept the 'buttons' so its a tidy job. I had a couple of Reimo T4's before and they used a very slim rail in which the curtains 'slid'. It was a little faster, but the drawn-back curtains stayed in position and looked a bit untidy.

I think you may be better off sticking with (or buying a different) external cover........

We have a "silver screens" ext cover, again not problems. wipe and put away. It is the 6th one we have had.

John

The screen is Just Kampers.

To be fair, light rain etc its always been a case of wipe over and its usually fairly dry. However last year in the alps we had a night of rain where the heavens opened. I mean totally hammering down, proper storm and the next morning everything was saturated. I don't think any of the covers would have coped with such a deluge.
Hence why I am thinking of something which will stay inside.

I use the brandrup internal screens without issues and they store flat in the roof :thumb

soulstyledevon said:
The screen is Just Kampers.

there is your answer :? I had a Just Kampers one also and fell apart after five outings, peice of c**p. Now have a Silver Screen , and the quality is 100 times better and does not soak up the rain even when torrential.

Calikev said:
I use the brandrup internal screens without issues and they store flat in the roof :thumb

Interesting. My take a look at them :thumb
Just discovered the external washing line on the site, looks very good bit of kit. Also wondering about the bellows bungee. I'm guessing you guys need this mod with the electric roof, but what about the Beach manual roof. Does it still work the same...???

:hello

Re: Time to call curtains on the

While the front screen is a bit Heath Robinson, it works, it stores very easily and any condensation can just be wiped away with a MF cloth. It can all be stored in the roof too.

I can't see the problem?!

An external screen would really get on my nerves.

If there is any chance that the canvas could get caught when manually lowering the beach
Roof the yes the bellows bungee. would work the same :thumb

Cheers Kev
Looks like I have a couple of purchases coming up :thumb

johntowers46 said:
We have a "silver screens" ext cover, again not problems. wipe and put away. It is the 6th one we have had.

John

So what's the quality like? The fact you're on your 6th rings alarm bells in my head ...

Like Kernowlad I've just stuck with the internal VW screen. Packing away a wet external screen has seemed as much hassle as wiping condensation away internally up until now. And if external screens don't last then I might just save my cash. Or am I issuing something ?

... or missing something even ...?

Horses for courses really. Depends on where and when for us.
In summer we use either the Brandrup internal ones which came with the van or in winter an external Comfortz one.
We've found that there is too much condensation with the internal ones in winter and the external one has the advantage of keeping snow and ice off the screen.
P1160422small_zps598ad9d4.jpg

Not a hassle to shake it and wipe down.

Where were you parked up,for this snowy scene ?

Back