Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thule XT2 (933) Bike Rack Light Question

TW88

TW88

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
I've just received a brand new Thule XT2 933 bike rack. After I fitted it to the van I checked the lights and noticed that when the vehicle's lights are on only the left red light is illuminated on the rack. Is this normal or should the right side be illuminated as well? All the other lights (reg plate, brake, fog, reverse, indicator) work OK.
PXL_20240213_135524749.jpg

I've just received a brand new Thule XT2 933 bike rack. After I fitted it to the van I checked the lights and noticed that when the vehicle's lights are on only the left red light is illuminated on the rack. Is this normal or should the right side be illuminated as well? All the other lights (reg plate, brake, fog, reverse, indicator) work OK.
View attachment 119142
Both L & R should be alight.

Thanks very much, that's what I expected it should do. Now I'll need to check the bulbs and wiring. Hopefully it's the bike rack and not the van...

Looks like LED lighting on the rack to me, so no "bulbs" per se. I would suggest checking all your connections, remove and reconnect any plugs and try again. Possibly a fuse? Not sure how the trailer electrics work, i.e. if they a separate feed or an extension of the standard lighting circuits.

I've just finished dismantling the RHS light cluster on the rack and was surprised to find that Thule are still using bulbs, and that none of them were faulty so now I need to find somewhere local (Newcastle Upon Tyne) to test my van's wiring and/or the rack's.

I've just finished dismantling the RHS light cluster on the rack and was surprised to find that Thule are still using bulbs, and that none of them were faulty so now I need to find somewhere local (Newcastle Upon Tyne) to test my van's wiring and/or the rack's.
Hi, Im awaiting my new van soon, I've had a tow bar fitted so I am looking for a bike rack and that looks good, can i ask where and what price was it.
Cheers.

Isn’t it the right indicator to illuminate the parking light on left side?

Isn’t it the right indicator to illuminate the parking light on left side?
That would make sense but that’s not the case, the parking light illuminates on the side the indicator is set. However not sure that’s the OP’s problem here as when the dipped/sidelights are on it’ll revert to an indicator and you’d expect the tail lights to both illuminate.

Get one of these testers. check the bulb holder for corrosion & that main connecting wire hasnt been crushed onto the towball in the past.

One of the wires might have come loose on the bike rack plug, just take apart and you will be able to see - connectors are usually screw connections similar to a 3 pin plug.

IMG_5078.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 119142
Do you have the factory fitted towbar and electrics?
Is the indicator stalk in the neutral position?

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. The problem exists no matter which position the indicator stalk is in and after disassembling the light cluster does not appear to be due to any loose connections or faulty bulbs. I'm going to test my vans brand new factory fitted electrics with a different bike rack at the weekend to see if this narrows down the source of the problem to van or rack. Meanwhile the seller has raised a case with Thule.

Do you have the factory fitted towbar and electrics?
Is the indicator stalk in the neutral position?
Isn't the indicator stalk position irrelevent? whatever lights are lit on the van should be lit on the bike rack.
My money is on a dodgy connection in the electrics. It will be Pin 5 the brown cable. It wouldn't be the earth as the brake light on that side still works.
If you have access to either the plug or socket connections swap the black cable on Pin 7 for the brown on pin 5 then let us know which light works.

Isn't the indicator stalk position irrelevent? whatever lights are lit on the van should be lit on the bike rack.
My money is on a dodgy connection in the electrics. It will be Pin 5 the brown cable. It wouldn't be the earth as the brake light on that side still works.
If you have access to either the plug or socket connections swap the black cable on Pin 7 for the brown on pin 5 then let us know which light works.
It’s not clear on my screen which lights are illuminated on the van itself.
The indicator position will put side/parking lights on on the one side L or R, depending on indicator position, with ignition off.

Turn the ignition on a pit your lights on, thend yoiu eliminate the possibilities around parking lights. It’s possible the vehicle electrics are not aligned in their wiring with the Thule connector. I used to get an intermittent fault come on my dash saying a bulb had gone. Switching on / off the van usually resolved it. I would expect the issue is with the van not the Thule unit. Get a cheap trailer board and try it - if it works then it might point to the thule being wrong but I doubt it.

UPDATE: Problem solved! Thule sent me a replacement light cluster and it now works fine. Very many thanks to everyone who replied because I was able to try everything that was suggested which helped me to convince Thule that the problem was with the rack and not with my van. You guys are brilliant!

I’ve dealt with Thule before over a bike kid trailer and they were excellent.