Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Three go to Cotswold & South Wales - any recommendations on places to see

We (Myself ,Mrs Gvick and Barney the dog) are planning a trip in early July to the Cotswolds for a week - Chipping Norton/WinchCombe.
Then a second week Barry island/Saunderfoot (we are bigGavin & Stacey fans).

We have reserved four sites with roughly 3 nights in each location. The site is really only a base to explore the surrounding area. We did move more regularly (when we toured Scotland we moved on every other day) but roughly three nights or so worked for us last year when we toured Devon and Cornwall so we are sticking to the same format this year.

we could wild camp and phase in the past - but with everyone doing a staycation we wanted some certainty (even though we are holidaying outside School holidays)

Do any members have any recommendations on places to visit?
@Martin i know you now live in Bourton-on-the water (that’s on our list so please look out for a red and white two tone).

thanks in advance - I’ll post some pics of our set and the places we visit (as I like to read everyone else’s travel adventures)
We're also Gavin and Stacey fans. We spent two weeks travelling the coast of Wales in September 2013, watching a box set of Gavin and Stacey in the evenings. Finally ending up in Barry Island.
After parking outside Stacey's house, the owner invited us in. She was a lovely old lady, who obviously relished in the fame that owning Gwen's house had brought her.

Pictures of SusiBus T5 outside Stacey's house. Susi having a go with Gwen's omelette pan, and down at Nessa's Slots on the seafront on Barry Island. Great memories for us, but maybe not for everyone.

DSCF0305.JPG

DSCF0321.JPG

DSCF0360.JPG

If the weather is not so good a visit & Tour of Cardiff Castle is worth it.

Car Parking fit for a California can be found at John Lewis or St David's Centre both in the centre of Cardiff.

Or Castell Coch, just to the North of Cardiff.

View attachment 80579

There is a campsite in Cardiff next to the castle and you could cycle the Taff trail from there.

We stayed at the Moreton in Marsh site in the Cotswolds. There are a few places worth visiting - Stow on the Wold, Burford, Broadway and Bourton on the Water. The Cotswolds Farm Park (Adam Henson’s farm from Countryfile). We also did a day trip to Oxford on the train from Moreton. You could also get to Worcester on the train, and Stratford on Avon is not too far away in the van. There are also a few NT places, if you are members.

Lydney harbour just up from Chepstow. The Purton hulks and the old Severn railway bridge just up from Sharpness. Then the remains of the Severn ferry (Aust Ferry) at Aust on the Bristol side and Beachley on the Welsh side. Check out times, if any, of the Severn bore - look on the web site.

Can't believe anyone would go on holiday to Barry Island..what a dump

If you're really into surfing, Ogmore has a great wave...it doesn't get as big as Southerdown, or Rest or Llangennith but is a steeper faster wave...and an easier paddle out. You need to pick the right beach for the tide state tho ..start East at what used to be called Hardee's and head towards the rivermouth as the tide comes in. (I grew up there and surfed there for years..now on Gower)

Can't believe anyone would go on holiday to Barry Island..what a dump

If you're really into surfing, Ogmore has a great wave...it doesn't get as big as Southerdown, or Rest or Llangennith but is a steeper faster wave...and an easier paddle out. You need to pick the right beach for the tide state tho ..start East at what used to be called Hardee's and head towards the rivermouth as the tide comes in. (I grew up there and surfed there for years..now on Gower)
Being a bit unfair there ………… on dumps!

Have you visited Barry Island recently?

Think so..wasn't sure cos I thought I might have accidentally gone to the French Riviera instead

Depending where you are in the Cotswolds, we went to Cheddar Gorge with my French brother in law and family just before the first lockdown hit.

I thought it would be a half day max, but we ended up spending the day there and really enjoyed it. May well be worth checking how much of it has opened up again before travelling.
We were there a couple of weeks ago. C&MHC site functioning ‘normally’ with spotless showers/toilets open. Cheddar village, everything open.

I remember having a lovely afternoon at Barry Island, sitting on the seafront wall, eating a Whippy, recalling childhood holidays of years ago. It also had a very unusual crazy golf course l remember. Then back in the Cali, to wild camp at Earlswood, NE of Newport.

We're also Gavin and Stacey fans. We spent two weeks travelling the coast of Wales in September 2013, watching a box set of Gavin and Stacey in the evenings. Finally ending up in Barry Island.
After parking outside Stacey's house, the owner invited us in. She was a lovely old lady, who obviously relished in the fame that owning Gwen's house had brought her.

Pictures of SusiBus T5 outside Stacey's house. Susi having a go with Gwen's omelette pan, and down at Nessa's Slots on the seafront on Barry Island. Great memories for us, but maybe not for everyone.

View attachment 80604

View attachment 80605

View attachment 80606
That’s fantasting

We stayed at the Moreton in Marsh site in the Cotswolds. There are a few places worth visiting - Stow on the Wold, Burford, Broadway and Bourton on the Water. The Cotswolds Farm Park (Adam Henson’s farm from Countryfile). We also did a day trip to Oxford on the train from Moreton. You could also get to Worcester on the train, and Stratford on Avon is not too far away in the van. There are also a few NT places, if you are members.
Thanks Trevor

Today I’ve gone through our pre set off routine.
I can’t help myself but I have to Hoover, polish then wash the van and then towel it dry it.

Filled it up with water - now got the electric on charge and the fridge chilling with beer and cheese mostly. A bottle of Lasanta Glen Morangie, spitfire, Sierra nevada and Old peculiars is the slide out draw.

All packed apart from pillows and specs

Have a great trip.
We have just returned from Carmarthenshire & Pembrokeshire had a wonderful time.
We did a circular walk with our westie from Stackpole quay car park on the coast path down to Barafundle beach ,then along coastal path ( glorious wildflower/grasses) to Broadhaven beach up to the lily ponds at Stackpole lakes then over the eight bridge arch back to the car park.

638BCE35-9257-483D-BB42-F6415B5253B8.jpeg

A9C9350A-EA4D-44AD-BE04-EC6300659E31.jpeg

C1193C2E-CF8C-4AE9-9DC6-B62657ABC666.jpeg

Have a great trip.
We have just returned from Carmarthenshire & Pembrokeshire had a wonderful time.
We did a circular walk with our westie from Stackpole quay car park on the coast path down to Barafundle beach ,then along coastal path ( glorious wildflower/grasses) to Broadhaven beach up to the lily ponds at Stackpole lakes then over the eight bridge arch back to the car park.

View attachment 80669

View attachment 80670

View attachment 80671
Looks amazing thank you

Have a great trip. If you're in Cardiff Bay, try https://tymelinbakery.com/ for great bread and baked treats.
In Barry, there is a superb barbecue restaurant called Hang Fire Southern. Also nearby, there is a new shipping container/old railway carriage complex with plenty of restaurants/bars.

Have a great trip.

View attachment 80669

View attachment 80670

View attachment 80671
That’s one of our favourite walks when in that area

27988460-F610-4386-B7E3-645F561E294F.jpeg

C1A92ED5-9041-4D29-ABCC-5E7F15461A1D.jpeg

0EE38BD1-A82E-4E79-A801-97C1C3E80CCE.jpeg

D89BCE41-1FD8-4B99-8BF7-662C29C8438C.jpeg

Have a great trip.

View attachment 80669

View attachment 80670

View attachment 80671
We just got back from a trip where we stayed at Trefalen Camp Site, which is next to the National Trust car park at Broadhaven beach. did the walk to St Govan's chapel which was well worth the effort. We were going to drive to Barafundle but took a look at Broadhaven and decided not to bother as couldnt see what Barafundle had which would have been worth the effort. Can someone enlighten me? Broadhaven was fantastic and also more or less empty. Next time will probably try Barafundle as would pick another camp site because this one only had cold water showers and no 4G signal...!

For Bourton on the water, we always park in the Slaughters and walk in. It's a lovely walk. Dog friendly cafe at the mill in the Slaughters ( and the hotel is dog friendly too).
Dover hill and walk into Chipping Camden is a nice walk too.

Back