Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Three go to Cotswold & South Wales - any recommendations on places to see

gvick

gvick

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
We (Myself ,Mrs Gvick and Barney the dog) are planning a trip in early July to the Cotswolds for a week - Chipping Norton/WinchCombe.
Then a second week Barry island/Saunderfoot (we are bigGavin & Stacey fans).

We have reserved four sites with roughly 3 nights in each location. The site is really only a base to explore the surrounding area. We did move more regularly (when we toured Scotland we moved on every other day) but roughly three nights or so worked for us last year when we toured Devon and Cornwall so we are sticking to the same format this year.

we could wild camp and phase in the past - but with everyone doing a staycation we wanted some certainty (even though we are holidaying outside School holidays)

Do any members have any recommendations on places to visit?
@Martin i know you now live in Bourton-on-the water (that’s on our list so please look out for a red and white two tone).

thanks in advance - I’ll post some pics of our set and the places we visit (as I like to read everyone else’s travel adventures)

We (Myself ,Mrs Gvick and Barney the dog) are planning a trip in early July to the Cotswolds for a week - Chipping Norton/WinchCombe.
Then a second week Barry island/Saunderfoot (we are bigGavin & Stacey fans).

We have reserved four sites with roughly 3 nights in each location. The site is really only a base to explore the surrounding area. We did move more regularly (when we toured Scotland we moved on every other day) but roughly three nights or so worked for us last year when we toured Devon and Cornwall so we are sticking to the same format this year.

we could wild camp and phase in the past - but with everyone doing a staycation we wanted some certainty (even though we are holidaying outside School holidays)

Do any members have any recommendations on places to visit?
@Martin i know you now live in Bourton-on-the water (that’s on our list so please look out for a red and white two tone).

thanks in advance - I’ll post some pics of our set and the places we visit (as I like to read everyone else’s travel adventures)
Where in South Wales are you staying - sites?

Broadway in the Cotswolds and a walk upto the tower for a coffee and cake in the cafe:thumb

I like Chipping Camden too. Book a table at the Ebrington Arms.

I know how you like your fish and chips, cream tea & surfing ! :
Eddys : Hillend campsite

edit: looking forward to your write up

There are some spectacular waterfalls on the edge of the Brecons

There are some spectacular waterfalls on the edge of the Brecons

We’ve done that waterfall trail :) well worth it.

+ 1 for Nash Point also Ogmore Beach

- https://thehappydaystravels.com/gavin-stacey-ultimate-guide/
- https://museum.wales/stfagans/about/
- If its sunny, walk right around Cardiff Harbour past the lock gates.
- Whitewater rafting, high ropes etc...https://www.ciww.com/

The Mother-in law has a static caravan at Fontygary Lesiure Park (https://www.fontygaryparks.co.uk) which wouldn't normally be my choice of site but have come to like it as have spent a fair amount of time here. Touring site is v.sloped so not the best. Nice bar, raised outside seating area with a sea view, good chippy on way in & a decent curry house. Has some nice coastal walks...countryside with a bit of old (Aberthaw Lime Works) /new industry (Aberthaw Power Station) mixed into the walk. The whole coastline is very nice & locals very friendly.

Stay off the M4 and just hug the coast, plenty of nice views + country pubs.

Nice Beaches:

Llanwit Major(excellent surf, point break, reef & beach break - @low tide)
Treslian Bay
Duraven
Nash Point
Ogmore (good surf)
Rest Bay (surfing, good+quite sheltered so good if you have children / learners)

...Beaches get sandier as you head West towards the Gower.

Take £1 coins, many of the beach car parks are Pay & Display and the machines only take coins. eg; Barry Island, Newton at Porthcawl.
Llantwit Major beach car park is small but overflow car park has a dicy looking 2m barrier, but parking free, at the moment.

Depending where you are in the Cotswolds, we went to Cheddar Gorge with my French brother in law and family just before the first lockdown hit.

I thought it would be a half day max, but we ended up spending the day there and really enjoyed it. May well be worth checking how much of it has opened up again before travelling.

If staying down the Tenby / Saundersfoot area some cracking coastline to visit if you fancy a day out. The coastal path is bliss with some fantastic photo opportunities.
Manorbier
Freshwater East (book a meal at the Stackpole Inn)
Bosherston Lily ponds (National Trust)
Barafundle
Broadhaven
Freshwater West
Boat trip to Caldey Island
West Angle (cracking cafe ‘Wavecrest’)

or day out in North Pembroke - Little Haven, Broadhaven, Newgate, Solva, St David’s, etc

Plenty of campsites - they are clamping down on ‘wild’ camping.

We’ve done that waterfall trail :) well worth

Agree. I spend most of my childhood summers in this village. The walks around there were good then and are still good. There is a campsite at the National show caves for Wales very near by.

If staying down the Tenby / Saundersfoot area some cracking coastline to visit if you fancy a day out. The coastal path is bliss with some fantastic photo opportunities.
Manorbier
Barafundle
Broadhaven
Freshwater West

or day out in North Pembroke - Little Haven, Broadhaven, Newgate, Solva, St David’s, etc

+1 for everything you’ve mentioned it’s a cracking list. Barafundle is a particular favourite of ours.

Park at Dunraven Bay (there’s a CS there now) and walk to Nash point along the cliff and back on the beach if the tide is right or vice versa. Rhossili - walk down to the beach for a swim or out to worms head if the tide is right.

Park at Dunraven Bay (there’s a CS there now) and walk to Nash point along the cliff and back on the beach if the tide is right or vice versa. Rhossili - walk down to the beach for a swim or out to worms head if the tide is right.
Thank you will put that on the list

Manorbier
Barafundle
Broadhaven
Freshwater West

Thank you very happy there are lots of places to visit :thumb

Take £1 coins, many of the beach car parks are Pay & Display and the machines only take coins. eg; Barry Island, Newton at Porthcawl.
Llantwit Major beach car park is small but overflow car park has a dicy looking 2m barrier, but parking free, at the moment.
Thanks @WelshGas ill get those £1 coins out before we go :thumb

- https://thehappydaystravels.com/gavin-stacey-ultimate-guide/
- https://museum.wales/stfagans/about/
- If its sunny, walk right around Cardiff Harbour past the lock gates.
- Whitewater rafting, high ropes etc...https://www.ciww.com/

The Mother-in law has a static caravan at Fontygary Lesiure Park (https://www.fontygaryparks.co.uk) which wouldn't normally be my choice of site but have come to like it as have spent a fair amount of time here. Touring site is v.sloped so not the best. Nice bar, raised outside seating area with a sea view, good chippy on way in & a decent curry house. Has some nice coastal walks...countryside with a bit of old (Aberthaw Lime Works) /new industry (Aberthaw Power Station) mixed into the walk. The whole coastline is very nice & locals very friendly.

Stay off the M4 and just hug the coast, plenty of nice views + country pubs.

Nice Beaches:

Llanwit Major(excellent surf, point break, reef & beach break - @low tide)
Treslian Bay
Duraven
Nash Point
Ogmore (good surf)
Rest Bay (surfing, good+quite sheltered so good if you have children / learners)

...Beaches get sandier as you head West towards the Gower.
Thank you all the tips and places to visit - getting v excited now to be on our way :thumb

I know how you like your fish and chips, cream tea & surfing ! :
Eddys : Hillend campsite

edit: looking forward to your write up
We will endeavour to look this one thank you bud. Hopefully many fish and chips will be consumed :thumb

Thank you all the tips and places to visit - getting v excited now to be on our way :thumb
If the weather is not so good a visit & Tour of Cardiff Castle is worth it.

Car Parking fit for a California can be found at John Lewis or St David's Centre both in the centre of Cardiff.

Or Castell Coch, just to the North of Cardiff.

Screenshot 2021-06-24 at 22.55.48.jpg

Back