Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thoughts on 6.1 Beach Tour

With just 1 slider then you can fit the EHU socket in the standard Beach position, rear N/S panel. Would involve cutting a hole, but any competent Conversion company could do that.
But not a VW option, which seems daft if they fit them to the Camper version?

But not a VW option, which seems daft if they fit them to the Camper version?
VW only fit the EHU connection socket on the R N/S rear panel. The Tour has 2 sliding doors so that panel cannot be used. There is no alternative position offered by VW hence not offered as an Option on the Tour.

VW only fit the EHU connection socket on the R N/S rear panel. The Tour has 2 sliding doors so that panel cannot be used. There is no alternative position offered by VW hence not offered as an Option on the Tour.
No option to drop the 2nd slider in UK? German configurator allows to drop 1 sliding door.

No option to drop the 2nd slider in UK? German configurator allows to drop 1 sliding door.
I believe there is but I don't know if that allows the Option of EHU.

Exactly. And yet you can have one slider in other countries. It's a mess.

Exactly. And yet you can have one slider in other countries. It's a mess.
Only to a minority. It obviously makes sense to VW and the importer VWUK. Every VW International market has had different standard equipment or Options since the California was introduced as do the vast majority of vehicle manufacturers. That's Life I'm afraid.

Only to a minority. It obviously makes sense to VW and the importer VWUK. Every VW International market has had different standard equipment or Options since the California was introduced as do the vast majority of vehicle manufacturers. That's Life I'm afraid.
Yes, but for a vehicle with a leisure battery no EHU seems daft. I think there may be a lot of people flattening their battery if they stay in one spot for an extended time.

It doesn't even seem like you can 'configure' a Beach on the UK's website, there's link but it keeps taking you back to the information page. Probably because the options are too complicated for their software! For seats:
View attachment 78319
It says the 3-seater bench is available for the Beach Camper, but not in combination with the swivel seat. Is it to do with the gas bottle storage on the Camper? I would have thought you could still get one additional seat in. And I can't see the EHU, is it option at all in the UK for the Tour?
I have 3 seat bench Beach Camper and both front seats swivel (UK ordered and delivered)

Yes, but for a vehicle with a leisure battery no EHU seems daft. I think there may be a lot of people flattening their battery if they stay in one spot for an extended time.
They'll soon learn. It was the same when the original Beach came on the market. They soon cottoned on and retrofitted EHU or Solar.

ok23C53BD1-11DA-4B3F-B19D-6AE26B31ACBF.jpegthe beach with the doors opened has enough space to put a EHU in but you will have to be careful about un plug so the engine may be best

I will perhaps have to look at under the rear bumper
I presume besides fitting the EHU connection , RCD for mains protection, you’ll also be fitting a Battery Charger.
It might be worth thinking carefully about the charger in case you also want to charge the engine battery as well when on EHU.This will allow you to use the vehicle entertainment system frequently as it runs off the Engine Battery but has an automatic cut-off at 20 mins to avoid running down the engine battery.
Wiring to the engine battery can be easily done via the Split Charge relay which is situated next to the Leisure Battery under the front passenger seat.

This site is a useful resource and the owner is a member of the T6 Forum.

Some useful reading.

Lastly, if planning on wild camping or using small 5 pitch CL sites, which may not have mains power available, then maybe Solar is the way to go, but for UK camping you would really need a minimum of 200 watts of panels and that may not be enough for extended stays during late autumn/winter.

The owner, Roger Donoghue , is a Trade member of this Forum and very helpful.

Last edited:
Hi another update the beach tour does not have EHU, we are having to get it fitted as a after market option, very annoyed as it’s the only model that doesn’t have it, it also cost £1000 more than the beach camper and more to tax as it’s an mpv but if you need 7 seats or even 6 then it’s your only option, otherwise we would have gone for the beach camper with three seats and an extra but goy can only have two seats and an extra on the beach camper. All very annoying. and don’t get me started on the std equipment on the beach tour as it only just a bit more than a standard transporter! Basically it bench bed insulation and blinds and Leisure sure battery and inverter plus table and chairs ( that don’t fit into the van) all for £30k extra !! Problem with COVID as you have to buy these things almost unseen. Any way if you need 6/7 seats then what we have done is get EHU installed, gone to vangear and got their kombi kitchen, and then had a heater installed. And now it’s a very good flexible 6 seat camper. But in hindsight perhaps we could have got a multivan or Corvette we would have still got the seats and a lot more kit and paid less
Vw has tells to me that if I adding energy connection to my Beach tour then I am lose my 5 year warranty if is any electrical system problems.
Is already second battery makes kaput soon when is my fridge operations. and I having lights troubles camping control panel and is makes I cannot touch electric system to lose warranty.

Vw tells that Beach tour second battery is for energy to camping control only and not gives energy to other item such is fridge.

Vw has tells to me that if I adding energy connection to my Beach tour then I am lose my 5 year warranty if is any electrical system problems.
Is already second battery makes kaput soon when is my fridge operations. and I having lights troubles camping control panel and is makes I cannot touch electric system to lose warranty.

Vw tells that Beach tour second battery is for energy to camping control only and not gives energy to other item such is fridge.
Its not really a camper is what they are saying

Its not really a camper is what they are saying
So is strange situation is attach roof bed for sleep, 3 chairs collapse make wide bed main area - for sleep, camping control unit has camping settings, is fit awning at factory, so many camping things in machine not make to camping.
Is like make boat and very small windsail - and tells - is not make for sailing.

Some updates on this, well we have been away for weeks and using a compressor fridge from dometic have not had a need for hook up on weekends away, when we have needed more a £60 vango electric hook up supply has provided simple and effective solution, the benefits of seven seats and two doors are fantastic and more than outweigh the lack of ehu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you need a new dealer. The battery setup is the same on both beach versions, the difference is the EHU. You can always use a portable charger straight onto the leisure battery, not quite as neat but no evidence of you doing it and no modifications needed.

Look at the Australian market, the beach import is the Tour only due to rules needing the LHS door, and VW market this version of the beach as a camper there.

Sounds like you need a new dealer. The battery setup is the same on both beach versions, the difference is the EHU. You can always use a portable charger straight onto the leisure battery, not quite as neat but no evidence of you doing it and no modifications needed.

Look at the Australian market, the beach import is the Tour only due to rules needing the LHS door, and VW market this version of the beach as a camper there.
Yes - your 100% correct!. I have buy ctek charger 10A, it is having spring clips attaching battery and I am understand must connect charger negative clip not to battery terminal instead to vehicle ground connection - I must seeking where this I can find under chair - is important not break California computer direct charger - battery connection.

Back