Thoughts on 6.1 Beach Tour

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Haven’t really had the need for the 7 seats due to Covid but kept the old seats just in case I needed them. I’ll consider contacting DVLA for the V5 change but haven’t bothered looking into it…
Any idea how?
You just fill in the relevant section, an amendment, on your present V5c and send it to DVLA. You’ll get a new V5c with the seat number changed. Everything else remains the same.

andyinluton

andyinluton

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Then tell your insurance company.

I got an SE changed to 6 seats by DVLA & a nice note from a friendly VW dealer stating that the additional seat was genuine vw, fitted according to their instructions to factory fitted seat rails. NFU were fine with that note & didn't need any sort of inspection re the modifications.

You do not want to have an accident with more people in the van than the V5 states.

dripster

dripster

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
This whole thing with the new Beach is a bit of a mess. We were thinking of buying new when they stopped selling the Beach in the UK, so we bit the bullet and bought a one year old one. Then they reintroduced it into the UK and at the time I wished I'd waited, but to get the spec I want I think would be complicated/impossible - 7 seats + kitchen + EHU. I could (obviously) live without the neat pull-out kitchen (I do now), but would need the 7 seats and want the EHU to keep the leisure battery topped up when camped, but it seems like that's difficult? Can you get the EHU if you only have one sliding door?

Anyway, very happy with my 2019, which does everything I can ask of it and more. Just confused why VW seem to have tried to please everyone with different versions of the Beach and ended up making it harder to spec! Too much choice!

WelshGas

WelshGas

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
This whole thing with the new Beach is a bit of a mess. We were thinking of buying new when they stopped selling the Beach in the UK, so we bit the bullet and bought a one year old one. Then they reintroduced it into the UK and at the time I wished I'd waited, but to get the spec I want I think would be complicated/impossible - 7 seats + kitchen + EHU. I could (obviously) live without the neat pull-out kitchen (I do now), but would need the 7 seats and want the EHU to keep the leisure battery topped up when camped, but it seems like that's difficult? Can you get the EHU if you only have one sliding door?

Anyway, very happy with my 2019, which does everything I can ask of it and more. Just confused why VW seem to have tried to please everyone with different versions of the Beach and ended up making it harder to spec! Too much choice!
With just 1 slider then you can fit the EHU socket in the standard Beach position, rear N/S panel. Would involve cutting a hole, but any competent Conversion company could do that.

dripster

dripster

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150

It doesn't even seem like you can 'configure' a Beach on the UK's website, there's link but it keeps taking you back to the information page. Probably because the options are too complicated for their software! For seats:
1620814788249.png
It says the 3-seater bench is available for the Beach Camper, but not in combination with the swivel seat. Is it to do with the gas bottle storage on the Camper? I would have thought you could still get one additional seat in. And I can't see the EHU, is it option at all in the UK for the Tour?

dripster

dripster

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
With just 1 slider then you can fit the EHU socket in the standard Beach position, rear N/S panel. Would involve cutting a hole, but any competent Conversion company could do that.
But not a VW option, which seems daft if they fit them to the Camper version?

WelshGas

WelshGas

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
But not a VW option, which seems daft if they fit them to the Camper version?
VW only fit the EHU connection socket on the R N/S rear panel. The Tour has 2 sliding doors so that panel cannot be used. There is no alternative position offered by VW hence not offered as an Option on the Tour.

Kemper-van

Kemper-van

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
VW only fit the EHU connection socket on the R N/S rear panel. The Tour has 2 sliding doors so that panel cannot be used. There is no alternative position offered by VW hence not offered as an Option on the Tour.
No option to drop the 2nd slider in UK? German configurator allows to drop 1 sliding door.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
No option to drop the 2nd slider in UK? German configurator allows to drop 1 sliding door.
I believe there is but I don't know if that allows the Option of EHU.

dripster

dripster

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Exactly. And yet you can have one slider in other countries. It's a mess.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Exactly. And yet you can have one slider in other countries. It's a mess.
Only to a minority. It obviously makes sense to VW and the importer VWUK. Every VW International market has had different standard equipment or Options since the California was introduced as do the vast majority of vehicle manufacturers. That's Life I'm afraid.

dripster

dripster

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Only to a minority. It obviously makes sense to VW and the importer VWUK. Every VW International market has had different standard equipment or Options since the California was introduced as do the vast majority of vehicle manufacturers. That's Life I'm afraid.
Yes, but for a vehicle with a leisure battery no EHU seems daft. I think there may be a lot of people flattening their battery if they stay in one spot for an extended time.

AlisonF

AlisonF

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
It doesn't even seem like you can 'configure' a Beach on the UK's website, there's link but it keeps taking you back to the information page. Probably because the options are too complicated for their software! For seats:
View attachment 78319
It says the 3-seater bench is available for the Beach Camper, but not in combination with the swivel seat. Is it to do with the gas bottle storage on the Camper? I would have thought you could still get one additional seat in. And I can't see the EHU, is it option at all in the UK for the Tour?
I have 3 seat bench Beach Camper and both front seats swivel (UK ordered and delivered)

WelshGas

WelshGas

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Yes, but for a vehicle with a leisure battery no EHU seems daft. I think there may be a lot of people flattening their battery if they stay in one spot for an extended time.
They'll soon learn. It was the same when the original Beach came on the market. They soon cottoned on and retrofitted EHU or Solar.

D

Dadwithbeach

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach Tourer 150
ok23C53BD1-11DA-4B3F-B19D-6AE26B31ACBF.jpegthe beach with the doors opened has enough space to put a EHU in but you will have to be careful about un plug so the engine may be best

VW California Club