Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thinking of fulltiming?

L

Lightning

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
In this video this lady who has lived in her van for a few years gives an interesting perspective on one of the down sides of living in a van. Keep an exit strategy in mind, as I think her experience is pretty common.

Haven't done the fulltime thing...yet. But I expect it's not always easy.
A while back, I spent a few years travelling on my own around Asia, so a need to 'belong' to some-where and some-people... to share. I get that.
She seems nice, I wish her well.

Haven't done the fulltime thing...yet. But I expect it's not always easy.
A while back, I spent a few years travelling on my own around Asia, so a need to 'belong' to some-where and some-people... to share. I get that.
She seems nice, I wish her well.
You’d have to be very minimalist to full time in a Cali.

There's a growing number of folk full timing in modest sized cars, without heating. A Cali would feel luxurious to them, but I wouldn't fancy it.

I suppose with the awning out for cooking outside in bad weather and a bit more space, ,2double beds and a heater anything is possible .
Outside shower (cold) doable with a tent.
Not my bag in a California but 2 of you could definitely do it ,
If your going to do this vanlife thing you definitely need a inside toilet

I saw this video and I thought

"There goes Jenni Brown".

My whole life was rock climbing, mountaineering, I got used to matted hair, living on the edge of fear, justifying my emaciated and torn body for "everyone need to be on the edge", living out of a two man Itisa mountain tent,

there years until I met the person who trusted me, cared for me and grounded me..

She talks so much good sense....

@Lightning thank you!!

Not my bag in a California but 2 of you could definitely do it ,
If your going to do this vanlife thing you definitely need a inside toilet
Unless I was really destitute, then the starting point for a live in van (in the UK winter) would be the ability to stand up without transforming my home into a tent.

Just about managed to take some last minute getaways this year while dodging lockdowns, fire-breaks, tiers etc. The closest to living full-time in my van would be travelling a month+. I agree others regarding the need for indoor toilet especially in the UK.

A few years ago we met a couple who had sold their bungalow for £30,000, bought a Hymer and had done 10 years fulltimeing. They now wanted to stop and return home. However, their bungalow was now worth £300000 and the Hymer still just £30000, so they were stuck.
You do need a viable escape plan!

A few years ago we met a couple who had sold their bungalow for £30,000, bought a Hymer and had done 10 years fulltimeing. They now wanted to stop and return home. However, their bungalow was now worth £300000 and the Hymer still just £30000, so they were stuck.
You do need a viable escape plan!

An option is to rent your property through an agent.
I took this route for a number of years.
The problem is finding suitable tenants, but the house retains approximately its market value.

An option is to rent your property through an agent.
I took this route for a number of years.
The problem is finding suitable tenants, but the house retains approximately its market value.
Yes, sensible. As a general rule ever get off the property ladder, it will be almost impossible to get back.
At the time you often don’t think you will ever want to get back, but you will!

Life is about balance.
It’s a shame it took her so long to figure out how the issues were affecting her. Glad she’s finding a way through it.
Van-life seems quite glamorous at the minute. To me it’s just another form of homelessness......

I can understand a bit about how she feels. After a very stressful 6 week journey to Crete from Ireland and being placed in an enforced lockdown I saw that renting a bungalow by the sea or living in a campsite by the sea were only 100 Euro difference in price and I feel I needed it. Getting out of bed at 4.00am from the roof of a Cali or to an ensuite toilet sold it for me. Plus there is the advantage of having the Cali ready to drive around.

The Cali is a good traveling vehicle it can go anywhere but for staying in one place for an extended time or long term living, it's just not designed for that in my opinion.

I can understand a bit about how she feels. After a very stressful 6 week journey to Crete from Ireland and being placed in an enforced lockdown I saw that renting a bungalow by the sea or living in a campsite by the sea were only 100 Euro difference in price and I feel I needed it. Getting out of bed at 4.00am from the roof of a Cali or to an ensuite toilet sold it for me. Plus there is the advantage of having the Cali ready to drive around.

The Cali is a good traveling vehicle it can go anywhere but for staying in one place for an extended time or long term living, it's just not designed for that in my opinion.
Having spent up to 3 months at a time in our Cali in the summer I agree. For full timing you need a bigger, more comfortable vehicle. It is your home and maybe you also need a Smart to get around as well.

Life is about balance.
It’s a shame it took her so long to figure out how the issues were affecting her. Glad she’s finding a way through it.
Van-life seems quite glamorous at the minute. To me it’s just another form of homelessness......
It's only homelessness if you need somebody else to provide you with a home. If you have figured out that you are your own home, the added luxury of a van is total freedom.

Having spent up to 3 months at a time in our Cali in the summer I agree. For full timing you need a bigger, more comfortable vehicle. It is your home and maybe you also need a Smart to get around as well.
I have lived in mine for a couple of years, and it is fine for me, I would want to share the space with somebody else though. It took me a long time to make it comfortable to live in. It also took a while (about a year) and lots of trial and error to establish practical methods of keeping fresh and clean and physically and mentally healthy in all hot sndenvironments. Some modifications were very important like the iso top, solar, external LPG tank, cooling fan, mosquito nets, audible and lots of little things to make it congortable to lounge around it.
It a pretty unsettling lifestyle but it’s also more fun and interesting than living in one place for me at the moment. I rent out my flat so can always go back if I get fed up with it.
Lots of people from all walks of life do it through choice or necessity I n all sorts of vans. The California is at the small but luxury end of the spectrum for full time living.

Would not want to share the space

I have lived in mine for a couple of years, and it is fine for me, I would want to share the space with somebody else though. It took me a long time to make it comfortable to live in. It also took a while (about a year) and lots of trial and error to establish practical methods of keeping fresh and clean and physically and mentally healthy in all hot sndenvironments. Some modifications were very important like the iso top, solar, external LPG tank, cooling fan, mosquito nets, audible and lots of little things to make it congortable to lounge around it.
It a pretty unsettling lifestyle but it’s also more fun and interesting than living in one place for me at the moment. I rent out my flat so can always go back if I get fed up with it.
Lots of people from all walks of life do it through choice or necessity I n all sorts of vans. The California is at the small but luxury end of the spectrum for full time living.

Would not want to share the space
Great to hear your experience

It's only homelessness if you need somebody else to provide you with a home. If you have figured out that you are your own home, the added luxury of a van is total freedom.

Agree for some people.
But many are forced into vans with the current housing crisis.
Last year a friend of mine decided to do Caravan life for 12 months try and save a large chunk of money. He got back from working in the Alps in April. Found a horrible van (cheap) and a farm to park it in Cornwall.
Did well through summer, but come winter struggled to live his glamorous life style ;)

By November, he moved out and headed back to the alps. He said winter time in a van in Europe is hard work.

Above video was a great post and its refreshing to see someone talk more honestly about full-time vanning instead of the romantic snaps we all see on Insta.
It’s definitely harder to find spots these days. Even for someone like myself just playing at it for a weekend or week. There’s less tolerance of vans, probably due to the shear number out there these days...

Agree for some people.
But many are forced into vans with the current housing crisis.
Last year a friend of mine decided to do Caravan life for 12 months try and save a large chunk of money. He got back from working in the Alps in April. Found a horrible van (cheap) and a farm to park it in Cornwall.
Did well through summer, but come winter struggled to live his glamorous life style ;)

By November, he moved out and headed back to the alps. He said winter time in a van in Europe is hard work.

Above video was a great post and its refreshing to see someone talk more honestly about full-time vanning instead of the romantic snaps we all see on Insta.
It’s definitely harder to find spots these days. Even for someone like myself just playing at it for a weekend or week. There’s less tolerance of vans, probably due to the shear number out there these days...
The skint, cold and damp van approach is grim. I’ve met lots of people in dirt cheap vans who have made it work. They take the time to simply convert their vans as cheaply ascthey can to deal with the weather.

The skint, cold and damp van approach is grim. I’ve met lots of people in dirt cheap vans who have made it work. They take the time to simply convert their vans as cheaply ascthey can to deal with the weather.

I take my hat off to them Lighting.
I know from my own travels in winter, how hard it is to dry thing out or deal with having less space as you move inside the van.
Appreciate those over coming the obstacles winter presents.
Definitely takes some dedication...

I take my hat off to them Lighting.
I know from my own travels in winter, how hard it is to dry thing out or deal with having less space as you move inside the van.
Appreciate those over coming the obstacles winter presents.
Definitely takes some dedication...
There are many seasonal workers who live in a van or a truck all winter near the tracks.
And living on the streets is even more difficult.
Not everyone chooses.

Curious question, how do full-timers have access to a Doctor for prescription meds etc?

Curious question, how do full-timers have access to a Doctor for prescription meds etc?
I use a relatives address. Abroad, you can use GHIC or private health insurance.
I think if that if you are actually street homeless in the UK you can go to any GP surgery if it’s urgent.

Anybody saw 'Nomadland' ?