Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thinking of buying a T4 Cali Club

M

mylesbarn

Vehicle
T4 Hightop
Hi All,

Just joined, our first post! We are thinking of buying a 1992 California Club with low miles, we are a family of 4 (8 and 6 year old boys) so we are looking forward to trawling through these great forums for little nuggets!

Cheers,

mylesB

Are you looking for a high top or lift up roof?
there are some great ones knocking around, i would avoid
anything less than 102ps, they are really slow, too slow.
A 2.5 TDI is the one to search for.

@westfalia I believe the California Club is only available in hard top (fixed high roof).

Yep, they are for camping in rather than driving! Fab layout. Making up the bottom bed needs a lot of faffing with the front seats.
Be very careful not to buy a rust bucket. Rust proofing wasn't good in 92, and it's a long time ago now. Repairing bodywork cosmetically is expensive, and if its structural too, you could be looking at huge bills, so buy the very best you can find. And be patient going up hills!

Thanks its a 2.4d 1992 with only 19K on the clock, but I'm not sure thats a good thing being nearly 30 years old now. It's the Club version so yeah its a high top.

We sold our 96 california club early in 2020 after a few years ownership. It was a really nice van with loads of character and a miss to be honest. That said it had some foibles to get used to.

The 2.4d engine is fine most of the time, but any kind of incline and you'll be at a snails pace, especially loaded up. They are geared really short, it could potentially do 75 or 80 but the engine will be screaming. Rust is a real issue. Ours had a pretty poor paint job by the previous owner. We did another set of paint repairs before it went but be prepared for potential welding down the line. All of this can be sorted just depends on your wallet and commitment.

Going for an earlier van, as you say, means a spirit hob, and only one 3 point belt in the rear (plus a lap belt) so might be an issue if you have kids. Imo the cactus interior in the later van is nicer too.

They are good fun and we had lots of adventures in ours. When I was looking, there was pretty much no difference in price for an early to late van up to facelift. If it was my money I'd be patient and get as late van as you can find. If you can stretch further, go for a long nose facelift with a 2.5tdi.

Thank you for the advice, it’s £14k the one I’ve seen with 19,000 miles on the clock and a 2.4d 1992 LWB, it looks like decent paintwork from the medium res pics but I have noticed some areas of touch up. I would prefer a TDi 2.5 tbh but I don’t know if there is a T4 Cali Club with this engine, and I wouldn’t know how much they generally go for?

I sold my van for 9k in March last year. It has about 190k, but was a 96 pop top so probably a more saleable van. I didn't have huge amounts of interest at that price either.

That's top money IMO, I would wait until later in the year and more will appear, especially after lockdown. That said they are not a very common van so it'll be a matter of being patient.

Oh, and I'm sure you're aware but they are all LHD. This disnt bother me and you get used to it very quickly.

This was mine.
20200526_162757.jpg

From memory, there are no 2.5 tdi Clubs. That engine only appeared (in high top terms) part way through the Exclusive model.

Thanks its a 2.4d 1992 with only 19K on the clock, but I'm not sure thats a good thing being nearly 30 years old now. It's the Club version so yeah its a high top.
Personally, if you want a " Project" then go for it, but make sure your pockets are deep. If you want a family camper think very carefully. 19k miles is only 600 miles/yr, 190k miles would be normal use. So that would set my alarm bells ringing. The price you mentioned is on the high side unless a lot of work has been done on it. Have you checked its Mot history on the DVLA website?

Its this one I was thinking of but Im not sure tbh:

There is a Reimo (sorry I know its not a Cali!) too:

It is indeed a lot of money. Too much if you ask me. The 19.000 miles on a 30 year old would already put me off. The conversion is even more expensive as original vw campers hold their value much better then conversions.

It all depends on the state it is in. For comparison, I sold my 1994 T4 California Westfalia 2.4D (not a hightop) with 140.000 miles a while back. It was seriously in almost mint condition. It sold for approx. 11.000 pound (here in NL). I could have gotten more had I wanted, but sold it to the first buyer that came to look at it.

I'd be very cautious.

Its this one I was thinking of but Im not sure tbh:

There is a Reimo (sorry I know its not a Cali!) too:

Looks like the 1st one has had some Mot failures over the past few years due to corrosion with sill replacements etc. Milage higher than quoted.

It looks and sounds very promising. Does it have a full service history?

Whilst most mechanical stuff can be sorted, as others have said, it's rust that could be the biggest issue on any vehicle of that age. It's always best to pay a trusted garage to thoroughly inspect it. It may cost you but it should give you a full picture of it's structural condition and mechanical road worthiness. It could end up being the best few bob you've spent recently.

Good luck. A good T4 is a superb vehicle to own.

Last edited:
According to MOT history it had 8 miles in 2008, so there is a story there

special and rare, a club. Nice choice though and good luck with it! everything else has already been said and posted here, yet:
Greetings

Okay, thanks I didn't know that.

Sorry guys I hope Im not taking the mickey here with your advice but Ive now seen this van and wondered if anyone had an opinion on it:

Thanks,

Myles (Chris)

If you value the extra space of a LWB and the permanent standing hight of a Club, I would look for another mark of hightop T4 vans with the TDI, like Reimo of others. Or try and look at a decent T4 Exclusive, imo it was a superb design and the later ones come with all the extra's you need (mine has the 151HP TDI, seat warming, cruise control, ...). I would not give 14K for a Club with uncertain history and yes, rust can be horrible (my former T4 '92 needed constant DIY).

That looks like a lot of money to me but does look a nice van. As above, I sold my newer van with similar miles for £3k cheaper back in March last year.

As mentioned, you probably need to decide if you want a club which be more practical for day to day use of a larger van such as an exclusive which will.be better for camping.

A Club is 5m05 long, an Exclusive 5m20; really not that much difference as to let it decide on your choice. But believe me, the extra space is very handy!

Sorry, didn't so much mean length but the pop top vs fixed roof. I can't speak from experience so not sure how much difference it makes, but we've always liked having the pop top as our van is used as a 2nd car.