Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Road to Morocco

Anthony1

Anthony1

Too young to be old
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Has anyone been to Morocco recently? I am planning a trip there, this spring (2023).

Do I need a visa, carnet, Covid malarkey?

Any tips on equipment required would be good. Are there any books on campsites/etiquette etc?

Many thanks in advance in case I foreget. Like I did before.

The procedures for taking a vehicle in (at Tangier, last Sep) are quite straightforward, no need for a carnet de pssage, they only seem to be interested in asking you if you've got guns on board.

Watch out for the kids throwing rocks at you as you go through villages, mostly a problem in the south west but can/does happen anywhere.

Has anyone been to Morocco recently? I am planning a trip there, this spring (2023).

Any tips on equipment required would be good. Are there any books on campsites/etiquette etc?

If you have Kindle Unlimited there are a couple of free books on Amazon
Morocco Motorhome by Jason and Julie Buckley
Flip Flops and Falafel by Andy McKettrick

There is a lot of info on this forum including a couple who are currently in Morocco.

We'll be going there in about 6 weeks - super easy to cross with no extra paperwork. My van is registered in a friend's name in Germany, so I have a POA that was supplied by a tour company.

Otherwise there are literally thousands of Europeans camping in Morocco at the moment. Campgrounds are open, and some of the larger ones fabricate window covers and other accessories.
For camping (organized or wild), check Park4Night and iOverlander.

If you want warm weather in the winter, you need to get down to Agadir and further south.

Attachments

• Vehicle Authorisation Form Template.pdf
    395 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Thank you

What does this mean? ...some of the larger ones fabricate window covers and other accessories.
We'll be going there in about 6 weeks - super easy to cross with no extra paperwork. My van is registered in a friend's name in Germany, so I have a POA that was supplied by a tour company.

Otherwise there are literally thousands of Europeans camping in Morocco at the moment. Campgrounds are open, and some of the larger ones fabricate window covers and other accessories. for camping (organized or wild), check Park4Night and iOverlander.

If you want warm weather in the winter, you need to get down to Agadir and further south.

Thank you

What does this mean? ...some of the larger ones fabricate window covers and other accessories.
They cater to foreign tourists - for example, at some of the more popular campgrounds they hand-make custom insulated window covers for your van, along with other hand-made products like seat covers, etc.

We didn't stay there, but met people further south in Mauritania who were using the products they just had made. One was not too far from Agadir. Maybe you can find more on Park4Night.

They cater to foreign tourists - for example, at some of the more popular campgrounds they hand-make custom insulated window covers for your van, along with other hand-made products like seat covers, etc.

We didn't stay there, but met people further south in Mauritania who were using the products they just had made. One was not too far from Agadir. Maybe you can find more on Park4Night.
Thank you.

A friend of mine completed a charity run in an old van from Aylesbury to The Gambia at the weekend. When I get the chance i’ll ask about the Morocco leg.

D672DE2B-D955-4CFA-A0C4-7ABC4084108D.png

We are en route to Morocco for 2 months (currently freezing in the meseta in Spain) and planning to cross on 9 Feb from Algeciras to Tangier Med. There are no Covid requirements and you don’t need a carnet or a visa (assuming you’re a Brit). If not see:

You need the original registration document V5 and a green card showing you have the minimum of 3rd party cover. There is conflicting advice whether you need a 1968 International Driving Permit (we got one anyway). The Moroccans will then issue you with a temporary import permit when you arrive. You can buy 3rd party insurance after you disembark or we extended our LV insurance to provide fully comprehensive cover in Morocco for £40 for 2 months. We didn’t want to risk 3rd party.

Chris Scott - Morocco Overland is a very good book but a bit out of date. Get the park4night and searchforsites apps (and pay the subscription) to find campsites and read the reviews. The former is better. You can filter for ones with showers and add the ones you like to your favourites. Join the Vanlife Morocco Facebook group. We’ve bought a Porta Potty 335 just in case of dire facilities or wild camping. B&Bs are very cheap ~£15 if you’re stuck.

Bloggers get on my nerves but there’s a relatively useful guide about crossing to Morocco and a free ebook here:

We are en route to Morocco for 2 months (currently freezing in the meseta in Spain) and planning to cross on 9 Feb from Algeciras to Tangier Med. There are no Covid requirements and you don’t need a carnet or a visa (assuming you’re a Brit). If not see:

You need the original registration document V5 and a green card showing you have the minimum of 3rd party cover. There is conflicting advice whether you need a 1968 International Driving Permit (we got one anyway). The Moroccans will then issue you with a temporary import permit when you arrive. You can buy 3rd party insurance after you disembark or we extended our LV insurance to provide fully comprehensive cover in Morocco for £40 for 2 months. We didn’t want to risk 3rd party.

Chris Scott - Morocco Overland is a very good book but a bit out of date. Get the park4night and searchforsites apps (and pay the subscription) to find campsites and read the reviews. The former is better. You can filter for ones with showers and add the ones you like to your favourites. Join the Vanlife Morocco Facebook group. We’ve bought a Porta Potty 335 just in case of dire facilities or wild camping. B&Bs are very cheap ~£15 if you’re stuck.

Bloggers get on my nerves but there’s a relatively useful guide about crossing to Morocco and a free ebook here:

many thanks for the info.

A friend of mine completed a charity run in an old van from Aylesbury to The Gambia at the weekend. When I get the chance i’ll ask about the Morocco leg.

View attachment 104528
Hi @Anthony1
Here’s what my friend sent me:

Morocco was brilliant, loads of camp sights. Stay away from Agadir it’s a concrete jungle. Get a local sim with data when you cross on the ferry but make the guys put it in and see it works. They are really hot on speeding and fine you. Take loads of fiches which are forms with all your information as the police stop you regularly to collect them. God knows why?? Apart from that cheap as chips, fuel cheap and great food.

fuel cheap
That's a fact. But you'll need to pay in cash at most places away from the major tourist areas. Even at the fuel stations that have a credit card sign up at the entrance will frequently ask for cash after they've filled you up ("la machine ne marche pas"). There are plenty of ATMs, some work with foreign cards but others don't and many only issue small amounts of money. So getting and keeping a decent supply of cash while on the road becomes important.

While on subject of cash - some travel guides say dirhams can't be bought outside the country. That's not actually true but only some banks/bureaux will do it. But in any case it's easy to get an initial stock of dirhams at one of the bureaux on the seafront strip in Tangier (if going in that way), at a decent rate.

While on subject of cash - some travel guides say dirhams can't be bought outside the country. That's not actually true but only some banks/bureaux will do it. But in any case it's easy to get an initial stock of dirhams at one of the bureaux on the seafront strip in Tangier (if going in that way), at a decent rate.
Thank you

Hi @Anthony1

Morocco was brilliant, loads of camp sights. Stay away from Agadir it’s a concrete jungle. Get a local sim with data when you cross on the ferry but make the guys put it in and see it works. They are really hot on speeding and fine you. Take loads of fiches which are forms with all your information as the police stop you regularly to collect them. God knows why?? Apart from that cheap as chips, fuel cheap and great food.
Thank you

That's a fact. But you'll need to pay in cash at most places away from the major tourist areas. Even at the fuel stations that have a credit card sign up at the entrance will frequently ask for cash after they've filled you up ("la machine ne marche pas"). There are plenty of ATMs, some work with foreign cards but others don't and many only issue small amounts of money. So getting and keeping a decent supply of cash while on the road becomes important.
I was advised when we were in Marrakech in August that the choosing the English option on the cash machines never works. Choose French & it always does. Seemed to work for us.
Locals prefer pound notes, euros and dollars to local currency. Due to the exchange restrictions the local money can’t be changed outside the country, £and $ are desperately needed for those wanting to leave.

I was advised when we were in Marrakech in August that the choosing the English option on the cash machines never works. Choose French & it always does. Seemed to work for us.
Locals prefer pound notes, euros and dollars to local currency. Due to the exchange restrictions the local money can’t be changed outside the country, £and $ are desperately needed for those wanting to leave.
Thank you

Hi @Anthony1

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you

Been here almost 3 weeks and having fun. Mix between wild camping and staying in local Riads, pavement and off-pavement, which the Cali is perfect for

Went for a play in Merzouga yesterday and had a blast.

20230316_130236.jpg

Been here almost 3 weeks and having fun. Mix between wild camping and staying in local Riads, pavement and off-pavement, which the Cali is perfect for

Went for a play in Merzouga yesterday and had a blast.
We’ve been here nearly 2 months now and have just seen 2 Calis. We’ve done a clockwise loop from Tanger Med down through Chefchaouen, Fez, Marrakech, then over the Altlas mountains in a blizzard to the Sahara at Merzouga. Then we headed down the Draa valley into Western Sahara as far as Dahkla and the Tropic of Cancer. It felt very remote down there and apart from a few trucks and UN vehicles there’s surprisingly very little traffic on the N1 Atlantic highway. The road is excellent and hugs the coast all the way south from Tantan with spectacular coastline.

There’s lots of police checkpoints throughout Morocco, though they’re generally disinterested in us. Sometimes they want to see your passport or ask where you’re going.

We still have another 2 weeks heading up the west coast of Morocco and will definitely come back as we’ve had a fantastic time. We’ve camped most of the time but have stayed in a few riads and hotels as they’re cheap. Tonight we’re in a car park in Guelmim by the Saturday morning camel market.

13D72BE7-EA3B-4BD4-BD90-CBB262FF1FB2.jpeg

16640A71-7CEC-4E17-B25E-21E27CA7CECC.jpeg

CA27BDFB-3B08-4AC8-8EF4-F81DEA639B36.jpeg

603305C3-9482-4976-9BCC-B53365F84C33.jpeg

81F3E12F-516F-4C2F-B827-7F234CAA25ED.jpeg

FC8F1164-2767-4C77-8CEE-0615C5D9FCFD.jpeg

75F710F2-4658-41BC-BC87-293AB2D17A1D.jpeg

Thank you for sharing those images and for describing such exceptional travels.

Back