Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The New Beach "kitchen" and retrofitting

Is there any floor area left when the lower made is made up?
I usually wake up earlier than the rest of the family so I get up earlier getting dressed in the front right seat, looks impossible with this setup no?

My experience with my 3 seat beach is there is barely any floor left with the bed made, its part of the reason we never use the downstairs bed.

Is there any floor area left when the lower made is made up?
I usually wake up earlier than the rest of the family so I get up earlier getting dressed in the front right seat, looks impossible with this setup no?
You can use the downstairs bed with the pod but there is no floor space left particularly as we also have a cfx 28 fridge next to the pod. We sleep upstairs and only use the downstairs bed for extremely bad weather, mainly wind. Loads of floor space if using upstairs bed.

You can use the downstairs bed with the pod but there is no floor space left particularly as we also have a cfx 28 fridge next to the pod. We sleep upstairs and only use the downstairs bed for extremely bad weather, mainly wind. Loads of floor space if using upstairs bed.
Why do you need floor space while you are in bed ?

Its more when you need to stand up and get dressed, or even go outside that the bed gets in the way.

What about the interior colour scheme of the T6.1 on the Beach. It has changed as well as I recall. So retrofitting might not fit colourwise - but the chassis is the same, so I think the kitchen unit will fit right in … what might the cost be?

I suspect the colours won't be far off but its hard to tell isn't it. I suspect as there in beach in the UK we may struggle to get the parts too.

My experience with my 3 seat beach is there is barely any floor left with the bed made, its part of the reason we never use the downstairs bed.
We don't find the space at the foot of the lower bed too restrictive. With the upper bed pushed up there is sufficient space to stand and get changed into pyjamas, even with a fridge behind the passenger seat. It is less comfortable when the upper bed is down. However, I can imagine it being very restrictive with fridge one side and pod the other side.

I am sorely tempted once the new 6.1 beach is released to see if the the "kitchen" can be retrofitted. VW are renowned for trying change as little as possible to keep costs in check. I wouldn't be surprised if the part fitted straight in place of the current one, or maybe i am just being hopeful. As VW are doing several beach models with the same base vehicle it may be the same pattern.

I don't use the upper pockets and cup holders much so wouldn't miss them.

May be steep though, the plastic parts normally arent too bad but the cooker may be eye watering. Hoping they do release the beach in the UK so I can get a look at one and compare.

Pldllll ich

Bizarrely in Autocar’s “best lease deals” feature last week it named the Beach as being a good prospect. Not the Ocean or Coast, the Beach, a model we can’t get. So either they know something, there’s a glut of Beaches that need shifting or it’s just sloppy journalism.

Bizarrely in Autocar’s “best lease deals” feature last week it named the Beach as being a good prospect. Not the Ocean or Coast, the Beach, a model we can’t get. So either they know something, there’s a glut of Beaches that need shifting or it’s just sloppy journalism.
My bet is that it's the latter.

Sloppy journalism

I tend to agree. It is a great piece of kit and I may have a look at fitting one one day subject to cost. However, cooking and heating water has never been an issue with our Beach and I do actually do that outside on the vast majority of occasions. There are several reasons:
1. It's safer.
2. It's cleaner.
3. It doesn't make the van smell of cooking.
4. But mainly because I prefer to cook outside when camping. It's part of that outdoorsy thing that's gives that sense of freedom.
...... that you dont get with other holidays ;)

These screenshots may help if someone is tempted to try pricing it up!!Screenshot_1.jpgScreenshot_2.jpg

I love the way we all think.

Could I improve what I have with a mod, a retrofit etc.

It does look as if the panels are similar, although it does look like the 240 and 12v outlets have been removed on the shiny new one. Not sure where they are but the current version (no pun intended) does seem better.

The new panel shows how much dead space there must be behind that panel. Ultimately though, irrespective of cost do I really want/need a built in one burner stove for £££ or €€€. Nope, I'm a Beach owner :) Lets cook outside or inside with a stove that suits our personal needs at a sensible cost.
That’s what I was thinking. I have an Ocean but in 18mths have only used it once to cook in, and that was to test it at the beginning. Before that, our Toyota Hiace had no cooking facilities so we sometimes (very rarely) cooked on a camping stove inside.
I think for you guys who have beaches, there’s a lot to think about, not least the money.

That’s what I was thinking. I have an Ocean but in 18mths have only used it once to cook in, and that was to test it at the beginning. Before that, our Toyota Hiace had no cooking facilities so we sometimes (very rarely) cooked on a camping stove inside.
I think for you guys who have beaches, there’s a lot to think about, not least the money.
I've no doubt that retrofitting that stove would be eye wateringly expensive. Nice though it is I can't see many wanting to do it especially as many Beach owners prefer to cook outside.

I've no doubt that retrofitting that stove would be eye wateringly expensive. Nice though it is I can't see many wanting to do it especially as many Beach owners prefer to cook outside.

We always cook outside; In the winter sometimes use a small burner in the van to for apres surf tea/coffee, but other than that prefer to keep cooking smells / moisture away from clothing, bedding etc.

We always cook outside; In the winter sometimes use a small burner in the van to for apres surf tea/coffee, but other than that prefer to keep cooking smells / moisture away from clothing, bedding etc.
Same here, we can use a jetboil inside for coffee but have always cooked outside, buying a Beach not an Ocean was a deliberate choice for us.

Is this the kitchen you’re talking about?

I do too, but our recent trip has made us really think about how we use our beach.

We mostly cook outside and used our Slidepod quite a lot over our 3 week trip but mostly for porridge, soup, tea etc. When the weather is bad however the beach can suddenly feel quite claustrophobic (I'm sure the ocean is no different). We use a Alpkit to make tea even outside but it can be used inside but cooking is a different matter we dont want to store extra cookers just in case, we are trying to travel as light as possible. This gets around all the issues we've had in bad weather plus I just love the design.
We have an Ocean and if the roof has to be down due to bad weather it does feel claustrophobic, but with the roof up not so much as it’s easy to stand up and move round. But then it’s only us 2 adults and our dog, who’s smaller than yours, Matt, and likes small cosy spaces (his space is on the passenger seat facing forward and if the weather’s bad he ensconces himself under his quilt all tucked up).

Sounds like you in the market for an Ocean Matt...?
You would be amazed how much easier life becomes in the Ocean. Especially in bad weather, it makes life a lot easier...

Might be time for you to step over into the dark side...;)
I was just thinking that too. It’d be like your slide pop but inside the van. You might miss the extra space though and you’d probably miss cooking at the back/outdoors. Even though we have an Ocean, I’d rather cook outside.

My first post, so hello everybody :)

Instead of the the full stove, a small retractable table would be ideal...A handy place for your JetBoil and a cup of tea. I think that's my only gripe with the beach, there is no easily accessible surface to put anything on.

My first post, so hello everybody :)

Instead of the the full stove, a small retractable table would be ideal...A handy place for your JetBoil and a cup of tea. I think that's my only gripe with the beach, there is no easily accessible surface to put anything on.
Hi Brasso, try the table in the sliding door, easily accessible, stable and great for cooking on ( clips into the rail opposite the sliding door)

Back