Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The 'minimum stay' thing..

Taff Tenor

Taff Tenor

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi

We're taking 'Hermann' across to France on the ferry in early July to spend a week in Provence. It's a long drive but looking forward to it and would like to sort a couple of stops each way for 1-2 nights maximum (probably somewhere around Southern Brittany, La Rochelle or even Toulouse initially and thereafter, somewhere around Montpelier after a detour over the Millau bridge on the way down). Finding it hard though to google and locate sites that don't have a minimum 4-7 day stay so wondered if anyone had done a similar type of trip recently and whether some sites could be recommended?

As it's our first real outing, we'd probably want serviced pitches on campsites and have been told that perhaps best to stay away from 'Air' facilities.

Any tips greatfully received.

Cheers!

Taff

Last time that I did that trip (South to Pezenas, West to Bordeaux, back up through Brittany) It was Aires all the way except for two municipal campsites.

Nowt wrong with Aires apart from those on main autoroutes.

Done this a few times without resorting to toll roads but always had a minimum of three weeks to play with, like Granny Jen says, Aires and municipal sites most of which are pretty good.

Never had any issue with just popin’ in at a site asking for a one nighter....
They are just trying to hook you up !

That's a long way round to get to Provence?
Can vouch for the site in Bonnieux. Really nice and quiet with great villages nearby. La Coste/Menerbes etc.

Last time that I did that trip (South to Pezenas, West to Bordeaux, back up through Brittany) It was Aires all the way except for two municipal campsites.

Nowt wrong with Aires apart from those on main autoroutes.
Thanks GrannyJen

I had heard that some dodgy characters have been known to hang around some of the Aires so, is that just the main ones on the main routes? I'll have a big GB 'target' on the van this year and wondered if there was any truth in the rumour?
That's a long way round to get to Provence?
Can vouch for the site in Bonnieux. Really nice and quiet with great villages nearby. La Coste/Menerbes etc.
Thanks Sidepod...will have a squint to be sure now!

Never had any issue with just popin’ in at a site asking for a one nighter....
They are just trying to hook you up !
Thanks hotel...we had heard as much from an experienced couple who have had their T5 for some time but didn't dare believe it. Being new to the lifestyle, I didn't want to pitch up like Mary and Joseph and take the chance of being refused entry! I understand there's a good app that can be used to sniff out sites on the road with advice being to always phone ahead though?

Thanks GrannyJen

I had heard that some dodgy characters have been known to hang around some of the Aires so, is that just the main ones on the main routes? I'll have a big GB 'target' on the van this year and wondered if there was any truth in the rumour?

Some, especially those associated with autoroute services, have a bad reputation. Most are in the centre of town, offering basic facilities such as water and waste drainage, normally not just you on site, and I've never ever felt threatened. France is a most hospitable country and people just parking up, having a meal somewhere, enjoying a typical French bar, is quite normal, no hostility and very rarely any crime.

Try an App like Searchforsites and read the reviews. Generally if they have a dodgy feel to them then someone will say so but my own personal experience is that often they are the most charming way to see a beautiful and hospitable country.

I agree with the above I've never been turned down for one night when turning up but often if trying to book in advance some sites will insist on multiple nights.

There are two types of 'aire'.
One is essentially a motorway service station. Don't stay overnight there.
The other sort is found in or near villages & towns, and is an 'aire du camping car'. These are signed with a picture of a motorhome & are basically carparks where overnight stops are allowed; some have hookups, water etc. Good places to stay, cheap, but usually you need your own facilities.

You can get books which list all the 'good' aires.

Camping St Clair at Neufchâtel en Bray near Dieppe is very good. We always stop there for one or maybe 2nights. run by a very nice but slightly harassed man. 2 hours from Calais, & it is an an almost straight line down to the South. Get there early afternoon if you can otherwise there can be a queue. It's on a walking trail on the disused railway.

Depends how early in July you are going but we swear by ACSI Camping Card. Hook up pitch for max €20 a night up to around end of first week in July just before peak season kicks in. Min stay one night in most sites.

Back