Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The coffee thread

That does not make real espresso. It is just a moka pot/percolator. Ask the Italians!
Odd...It says what it is in the blurb "Espresso maker for hob" - I guess we're easily taken in. But it works, for us. Thanks for the tip. Db.
At £295..............I rest my case.

Last edited:
Odd...It says what it is in the blurb "Espresso maker for hob" - I guess we're easily taken in. But it works, for us. Thanks for the tip. Db.
It is not real espresso, unfortunately. Just marketing jargon. But I agree with you, these type of pots make great tasting brews. I use my Bialetti all the time.

Aeropress for us every time. Keep it simple!

I love a proper machine espresso - E61 and burr grinder at home - but having tried most methods the aeropress and hand grinder, plus fresh roasted beans is the preferred way on the road. I even take it motorbike camping. Grinder is a Timemore clone off Aliexpress and grinds consistently enough for a machine espresso too.

Glad to see there are other people that cant live without amazing coffee in their Cali's!
This will be my cali coffee machine from now on, arguably the best I can get under the circumstances although I have heard the 9Barista is pretty awesome.

If it makes very good espresso when paired with a hand grinder, I don’t think it’s actually that expensive (esp compared to the Flair) - if it lasts ten years, it’s pennies per shot; and you might be spending £30-40/kg on beans anyway.

What concerns me (without having tasted a shot from it) is that it’s early in its development - when he mentioned getting sandpaper out, you think… uh oh…

Then, the 6 minute boil time. It might be fine on a Cali gas stove, but I mostly use petrol stoves that are powerful but not very controllable…

Curiosity is certainly piqued though!

Hate gadgets, go coffee bags.
Tried coffee bags for the first time other day whilst tenting it. Great for that, definitely need longer than the 2mins.
I worked out if I leave one in my yeti flask for 4/5mins then a good squeeze, there pretty good. Handy for emergency in the van/tent.
I’m guessing the bags are made with the dreaded plastic though, so will stick with my cafetière.

I love my Aeropress, it makes a great cup of filter coffee, without the fuss. But it doesn't make an espresso. And the taste is completely different from espresso.

I just gave the missus her first coffe grinder. I have never used one before so this seems like another level. This kinu m47 classic https://kinugrinders.com/index.php?page=m_home_page.public.show_product&Id_Product=16
Missus has not been a fan of our current method, boiling water on the alpkit and pour over a filter in a Kintu brewer with slow coffe filter so got her a small chemex as well. Our new van kit.
Great choice with the Kinu. I am a real fan of their products now, since getting one for the magazine article. You can really see where that extra money goes. I expect to own mine for a lifetime.

If it makes very good espresso when paired with a hand grinder, I don’t think it’s actually that expensive (esp compared to the Flair) - if it lasts ten years, it’s pennies per shot; and you might be spending £30-40/kg on beans anyway.

What concerns me (without having tasted a shot from it) is that it’s early in its development - when he mentioned getting sandpaper out, you think… uh oh…

Then, the 6 minute boil time. It might be fine on a Cali gas stove, but I mostly use petrol stoves that are powerful but not very controllable…

Curiosity is certainly piqued though!
I am not sure what you mean by the sandpaper bit? Was that form a James video?

So I use my 9Barista on Cali stove, and small camping burners. At home I have electric hob. After getting used to what power to set each cooker to, I can get a 3 minute boil time and 30 second extraction nearly every time now. Definitely takes some practice to get there though!

I have a video somewhere of a really sweet extraction. I will try to find it. Here is a still image from it and again, the full article can be found in issue 05 of Advanture Magazine.

9barista 2.jpg

I am not sure what you mean by the sandpaper bit? Was that form a James video?

So I use my 9Barista on Cali stove, and small camping burners. At home I have electric hob. After getting used to what power to set each cooker to, I can get a 3 minute boil time and 30 second extraction nearly every time now. Definitely takes some practice to get there though!

I have a video somewhere of a really sweet extraction. I will try to find it. Here is a still image from it and again, the full article can be found in issue 05 of Advanture Magazine.

View attachment 82670
Thanks for the info. I do like the idea, that’s for sure and keen to see where it goes.

The sandpaper comment referred to the video linked above, he said the boiler lacked nucleation points or something and a quick fix was a rub with sandpaper! I imagine that would be fixed in later batches, he was using serial no 300.

Thanks for the info. I do like the idea, that’s for sure and keen to see where it goes.

The sandpaper comment referred to the video linked above, he said the boiler lacked nucleation points or something and a quick fix was a rub with sandpaper! I imagine that would be fixed in later batches, he was using serial no 300.
The water boils more softly when there are more bubbles. The formation of small bubbles is better aided by “inception points” (I did some post doctoral work in this area using high speed photography when I was looking into cavitation). These can be created by roughing up the surfaces of the coils in the upper chamber.

The water boils more softly when there are more bubbles. The formation of small bubbles is better aided by “inception points” (I did some post doctoral work in this area using high speed photography when I was looking into cavitation). These can be created by roughing up the surfaces of the coils in the upper chamber.
is there anything this forum doesn’t know XD

I figured in layman’s terms it was like the rough spot at the bottom of a pint glass to encourage bubbles

This is my preferred tipple in the morning - Turkish / Greek coffee.

358D3903-74CD-4A3E-8FC9-6EF8478E6B21.jpeg

I switched equipment from brewing straight into a Thermos into using a Chemex this weekend away in the van. A bit of a hassle balancing the 2-3 cup chemex on the gas stowe ( I hate coffe which is not hot). So we keep the Kinu grinder and the 4-5 minutes it takes to grind the beans but switch back to our manual brewer and Thermos.

I've used a Bialetti stove top coffee maker, and an Aeropress, both just using pre-ground beans for simplicity. I think after looking through some of this thread I'll maybe have to invest in a small grinder to go in the van!

I've used a Bialetti stove top coffee maker, and an Aeropress, both just using pre-ground beans for simplicity. I think after looking through some of this thread I'll maybe have to invest in a small grinder to go in the van!
i keep a aeropress and grinder in the van, the grinder is a timemore - they’re around 80 notes but can be had for a fair bit cheaper on the popular Chinese retail site ;)
Think I paid around 40 and it outperforms a much more expensive Japanese ceramic hand grinder, which is now demoted to grinding spices in the kitchen.

I’ve got one of these: https://madebyknock.com/products/aergrind
Lovely bit of engineering and designed to fit in the Aeropress plunger.
I’ve always bought ground coffee for my aeropress. Is grinding it night and day for flavour, or slightly better in your view? I’m tempted with the £100 and extra faff but need a nudge. Thanks

I’ve always bought ground coffee for my aeropress. Is grinding it night and day for flavour, or slightly better in your view? I’m tempted with the £100 and extra faff but need a nudge. Thanks

i've had one of these grinders for a few years now -- the grinder is great and freshly ground is *so* much better than pre-ground.

If you're thinking of buying one then I think the standard advice is to buy from one of the resellers listed on the website rather than buying directly from madebyknock. Long threads on coffeeforums on the topic....

Here's a nudge in the other direction: Is slightly better worth an extra gadget in a small camper van where less is more?

Here's a nudge in the other direction: Is slightly better worth an extra gadget in a small camper van where less is more?
Well, no. But if as above its *so* much better, it could be another ritual in the van away from the screen that improves the peaceful day... perhaps?

Back