Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Cobb before the storm

Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
The Cobb before the storm (if you say it in a really deep, raspy, voice over voice it could be made in to a film)! ”On the wild Pembrokeshire coast, down a long, narrow lane, looking out to sea . . . .”

Monday evening at Caerfai Farm. Knew that storm Francis was on its way, to hit that night, so after lowering the Campervan’s pop top and double pegging all the guylines thought about dinner.

Kellie kettle to start the 10 Aussie heat beads and warm the grill plate (old version) on the pot stand above the chimney.A96169BD-1B00-465B-BBEE-A3EFFD112AC6.jpeg
Seared the Ribeye steaks over the kettle then cooked them for 1 minute in the Cobb at the low level. Added the stainless steel grill plate and extension ring for chicken thighs (to have cold the next day) and put the steaks over them for a nice slow juicy, 10 min cook. Steaks resting in foil and chicken continuing to roast.

I oiled the steaks with rapeseed oil and used a rub mix of Black Pepper, Dried Onion, Mustard Seeds, Coriander Seeds, Salt, Chilli Powder, Cumin, Oregano, Dried Garlic, Mustard Powder and Bay Leaf. Made it at home. For camping I put my herbs/spices in Basset’s sherbert dip containers (bonus is you get the sherbert and a liquorice stick for free, well that’s my excuse anyway).
747D82B0-9913-499D-AB43-734AFB751326.jpeg
62297336-721F-4C6C-9F19-DE8E09BCF138.jpeg
To break the wind (not me trumping, that was after the steak at bedtime) I used a Really Useful Box (the 18l one will hold a bag of charcoal, some fire lighters and a few other bits and at night goes under the portaloo to raise it to a normal height and save my knees) and a little camping table and baking tray on their sides.

Whilst eating dinner I boiled 5 x 1.5 litre kettles of water to soak the Cobb in my 20l Ortlieb folding bowl/bag. After that I did 2 more Kettles and beer can popcorn (separate post).

Glad I got to Cobb before the storm kicked off, although the original plan was to Cobb down on the lovely rocky/sandy beach of Caerfai Bay. That’ll have to wait until next year.