Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Black Forest - Germany

Bennybristol

Bennybristol

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Dear All,

Our family of 4 have just had a fantastic time in The Black Forest so I wanted to share our experience.

The campsite was perfect! See photo for details. A nice smallish site set on the outskirts of a small town called Steinach. The town had only a bank(24hr ATM) coffee shop, supermarket but all in a few minutes cycling distance on a quiet road/path, you could even walk it. The campsite has all the facilities you require which were always clean. The restaurant was brilliant with great local food and everything was super tasty, the kids loved it.

A major plus for the campsite is that it is next to a brilliant lido, which the Germans do so well. Not just a fantastic swimming pool with diving boards and slides but table tennis, football goals, volleyball nets, kids park and a
cafe serving ice creams, food and beer!!! The lido is FREE entry for campsite residents and just a 2 min walk out the back of the campsite.

15 mins along one of the many cycle paths is Haslach, which is a beautiful old town with lovely shops/bars/restaurants and deffinitely worth a visit.

This campsite is the perfect place to explore the Black Forest and all it has to offer. We can recommended the Steinwasen park in Oberried for all the family!

Just must all go immediately!

04EDEAF5-69FE-469F-9287-0482101B9BAF.jpeg

5AE9581D-1FC8-4D42-BDC7-0FB136E740FE.jpeg

F14CB7A5-CEFC-4F33-A386-4EA19F496422.jpeg

Thanks for this Benny, we will try and book a short stay on our way back from Lake Constance in August. :thumb

We arrived at Camping Kinzigtal yesterday for a few nights. It is in a very beautiful part of the world however the site is not very good. We have camped on a number of sites this summer and it is by far the noisiest if it’s not people talking loudly late at night it’s the sound of foot steps on the gravel roads as they crunch their way round. The pitches are extremely close together and generally it feels a bit run down and in desperate need of some investment. There is a park on the site but it is little more than a slide and the only redeeming feature is the adjacent lido with diving boards which my kids like. We have two more nights here then we move on never to return.

Just shows I guess how people's wants/views vary so much about campsites. Even more so than with hotels etc, I think.

We take almost no notice of campsite reviews, for that reason. What we like in a campsite, a lot of other folks would probably hate, and vice versa.

We have just had a similar experience on a recommended campsite near Freiburg, Camping Kirchzarten. Lovely modern toilet/shower block and great reception but we didn't enjoy our very small pitch, hemmed in on all sides by noisy Dutch caravanners who seem to have taken over the site. Cleanliness was also poor. It might be the fact it was their busiest week but we won't be returning.

I think in high season not many sites will come to favor me ....

@bigmac77 , go back there in low season you might like it ;)
Where did you eventualy end up in Belgium or did you drove past us ?

Wife is a teacher plus kids at school no low season holidays for at least 20 years for us.

I don’t mind high season at all the kids love having other kids to play with and that gives my wife and I a bit of time to relax. We have been to some great sites in France.

Last edited:
We arrived at Camping Kinzigtal yesterday for a few nights. It is in a very beautiful part of the world however the site is not very good. We have camped on a number of sites this summer and it is by far the noisiest if it’s not people talking loudly late at night it’s the sound of foot steps on the gravel roads as they crunch their way round. The pitches are extremely close together and generally it feels a bit run down and in desperate need of some investment. There is a park on the site but it is little more than a slide and the only redeeming feature is the adjacent lido with diving boards which my kids like. We have two more nights here then we move on never to return.
I will add an edit or three. The showers are good, lots of pressure and no prestex push button. The restaurant food is bad but the pool next door is very good, kids have had me diving off the top board all afternoon and I’m shattered.

I think in high season not many sites will come to favor me ....

@bigmac77 , go back there in low season you might like it ;)
Where did you eventualy end up in Belgium or did you drove past us ?
We went to Brugge and had a nice few hours wandering around eat the compulsory waffle and then it started to rain so we got back in the Cali and headed south to somewhere near Cerfontaine where we stayed on basically a farmers field with a shower and a toilet in an outbuilding, the kids thought he looked like a skinny Santa and it cost us €8 after that we went south again into France.

Back