Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The 204 lives again and is back!!

CampervanTime

CampervanTime

VIP Member
Vehicle
Westy Sven Hedin
Hi Everyone

Well, I‘m sure some of you will have spotted it but the new price list and brochure on the VW website with the 1st October price increases in has a 204 now listed again.

It also has the 199 in it, but says that the 204 is the new RDE2 compliant engine. I wonder what they’ve done to the bi-turbo unit to get it to be RDE2 compliant and how much worse the MPG will be again?

Anyone got any intel on this new variant yet? I saw Cali Chris did a video yesterday about it too. I wonder if it’s just another remap of the same engine or some hardware changes?

Still, it’s back!

Hi Everyone

Well, I‘m sure some of you will have spotted it but the new price list and brochure on the VW website with the 1st October price increases in has a 204 now listed again.

It also has the 199 in it, but says that the 204 is the new RDE2 compliant engine. I wonder what they’ve done to the bi-turbo unit to get it to be RDE2 compliant and how much worse the MPG will be again?

Anyone got any intel on this new variant yet? I saw Cali Chris did a video yesterday about it too. I wonder if it’s just another remap of the same engine or some hardware changes?

Still, it’s back!
I would be very interested to see some figures on this engine too, seeing as though my September order is now looking unlikely to be a 199 and a 2020 delivery. As the 204 is the only option for factory orders now (the 150 is still available obviously), how many people are going to order one blindly, not knowing CO2, fuel consumption or performance figures?!

I would be very interested to see some figures on this engine too, seeing as though my September order is now looking unlikely to be a 199 and a 2020 delivery. As the 204 is the only option for factory orders now (the 150 is still available obviously), how many people are going to order one blindly, not knowing CO2, fuel consumption or performance figures?!
5HP will not do that much to performance or consumption. CO2, who knows.
But as VW deliveres it again, this would mean it should comply with the latest regulations.

Back in the days, when in Belgium you were taxed (company cars) by power of the engine (kW). That is why they 'made' the 136 and 140 hp engines. All the company and lease cars were 136hp. Most or not all 140hp cars were private cars.
But since a few years you are taxed on CO2, and thus they banned the 136 hp, which was nothing more than a downtuned 140hp engine (software). All the figures were about the same.
Luckily mine is the 'real' 140hp, and not a downtuned 140.

I’m quite relaxed about it. The 204 isn’t the most frugal engine anyway and as long as it delivers 30+ mpg on a run that gives a decent enough range on the 80L fuel tank.
The co2 is irrelevant too now the Cali is taxed differently.

I’m quite relaxed about it. The 204 isn’t the most frugal engine anyway and as long as it delivers 30+ mpg on a run that gives a decent enough range on the 80L fuel tank.
The co2 is irrelevant too now the Cali is taxed differently.
In fact I am curious. My 140hp 2010 engine produces 203 grammes of CO2. How much is a 10 year younger engine with 204 hp polluting?

The 2018 - 204 hp came with bigger duel pot disk brakes at the front than the smaller engine versions. Does the 199hp have the same brakes as the 204 hp? Might be a factor in choosing which to go for

In fact I am curious. My 140hp 2010 engine produces 203 grammes of CO2. How much is a 10 year younger engine with 204 hp polluting?
I doubt if your 10 Yr old engine is still producing 203 gms CO2, in fact I very much doubt if it ever did in the real world and now you have to take into account NO production as well. All smoke and mirrors.

I doubt if your 10 Yr old engine is still producing 203 gms CO2, in fact I very much doubt if it ever did in the real world and now you have to take into account NO production as well. All smoke and mirrors.
You might be right. In fact it might even produce less CO2 and NOx, as most trips, my average consumption is less than factory stated.
I am sorry.

The 2018 - 204 hp came with bigger duel pot disk brakes at the front than the smaller engine versions. Does the 199hp have the same brakes as the 204 hp? Might be a factor in choosing which to go for
All over 150hp Transporters are equipped as standard with 17" brakes at the front. It was even possible for me back at the time to take the 17" brakes as option on a 140hp T5.1.

VW Tiguan 4M DSG has a 240PS 2 ltr BiTurbo which if the same engine suggests a detuned 204 version in the T6.1

Performance
240PS
Fuel consumption
35,2 mpg1
CO2 emissions
210 g/km1

VW Tiguan 4M DSG has a 240PS 2 ltr BiTurbo which if the same engine suggests a detuned 204 version in the T6.1

Performance
240PS
Fuel consumption
35,2 mpg1
CO2 emissions
210 g/km1
I doubt it’s the same engine

I doubt it’s the same engine
Just pointing out that VW can get 240 out of 2ltrs. As does other manufacturers currently.

Torque being more relevant to T range.

Back