Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tesla more valuable than Volkswagen

well, if you had traveled at the same speed as he did, you would have clearly been there much earlier than him obviously...
In Germany it would have been even worse, because you can travel both faster, but he would have to recharge way more frequently..
But would have cost him (teslas) far less in fuel.

Yes, however a loaded Cali sits nicely at 80, with legs for quick acceleration and overtaking when needed.
The model S in Germany could cover some serious ground against a California.
Just wonder how it would affect the Tesla’s range…?
very badly. I travel often on the Autobahn, and 99.9% of Tesla travel at around 120 km/h....

But would have cost him (teslas) far less in fuel.
At the moment yes. When all vehicles will be electric, electricity will cost a lot more, not only for the pent up demand, but for the taxes the govt will have to apply to charge a car that are currently collected at the diesel/petrol pump.

looks like range drops by about 30miles for each 5mph increase in speed for a model S - if that is linear ( & I would have expected it to be logarithmic rather than linear) I make that a range of 1 mile at 150mph

tesla range.png

Do you have the same data for a model 3?

The model 3 is a bit ugly from the front, but considering the price against the model S. Perhaps the thinking man’s Tesla?
I bet there’s a bit of a wait for one….

What's interesting in the range table above posted by @andyinluton is the top right description: "Range in miles when car is new". I must admit I didn't think of that, even though I am well aware that lithium batter do lose capacity as time goes by.
After 4-5 years it could lose 10-15% of range, depending of course of how many charging cycles it went through.

We have had a Model 3 LR AWD 18 Aero for 5000miles now. Have only used a Tesla charger 3 times in this time, rest of charges have been done at home using standard 3 pin plug (faster home charger will be wired in soon, as we having some other electrical work done).

Charge time on Tesla charger has been 20mins approx to add 200miles (Cost was around £13 each time) which is 10mins less than the table. Range v Speed seems accurate though - if you set battery % to allow 100% charge before a long trip then you start with 330miles in the tank but this will drop off a bit due to heating, lights etc but you do get a small amount bit of charge off the regen braking. But for day to day driving you normally set the max battery % to below this as it better for long term battery life.

The satnav takes charging spots into account when routing and also preconditions the battery whilst you are driving so that's its in the best state to take a fast charge to prolong battery life. It will also tell you how many charging bays are occupied / free.

The Tesla charging network seems to be the real winner.
At the tunnel, I saw two non Tesla chargers against either 6or8 Tesla stations, all unoccupied.

@Ch1pbutty are the charge costs a flat rate at all locations or does it increase at places like inner city London etc…?

The Tesla charging network seems to be the real winner.
At the tunnel, I saw two non Tesla chargers against either 6or8 Tesla stations, all unoccupied.

@Ch1pbutty are the charge costs a flat rate at all locations or does it increase at places like inner city London etc…?
Cost varies, but you can check on the car dash map at any time and it will display prices for all charging stations.

You can also charge at non tesla chargers (ie NCP Car Parks etc) but this takes alot longer so only worth doing if you were going to park there anyway.

Do you have the same data for a model 3?
Anecdotally I can tell you that around London (very low average speed) our Model 3 uses the range the car tells you (263 miles), but when you hit the motorway then you get more like 80% (travelling around 70mph, with 5 onboard).

Driving around my local neighbourhood, it’s awash with Model 3s.
They are everywhere…!!!

I’ve just been on the Tesla configurator. Love how easy it is to buy one.
Simple, few options, double click Apple Pay and you’re done.
Although, delivery estimate. Jan-March 2023.

Still quicker than VW these days...

I was chatting to a guy who works for Jaguar yesterday. They’re at 50% capacity due to part shortages.
Electric vehicles take president over IC because of penalties occurred if they don’t sell a certain ratio of electric vehicles.
It’s a frustrating time. Order books full, not enough product…

Driving around my local neighbourhood, it’s awash with Model 3s.
They are everywhere…!!!

I’ve just been on the Tesla configurator. Love how easy it is to buy one.
Simple, few options, double click Apple Pay and you’re done.
Although, delivery estimate. Jan-March 2023.

They are great drivers cars but also super practical.

It doesn’t bother me that they all look the same, I chose it for the whole package rather than the looks.

The most surprising thing is that my Wife loves to drive it, it’s quite a calming experience but guess the same with all EV’s.

I regularly do trips from Brighton to Cornwall, Devon, Cardiff and zero issues with charging.

They are great drivers cars but also super practical.

It doesn’t bother me that they all look the same, I chose it for the whole package rather than the looks.

The most surprising thing is that my Wife loves to drive it, it’s quite a calming experience but guess the same with all EV’s.

I regularly do trips from Brighton to Cornwall, Devon, Cardiff and zero issues with charging.
Agree with you. Tesla 3 is very nice to drive. Only option we selected was the dual battery to increase the range; We have now covered 7,000miles in ours; Only 4 of those charges have been outside of the home and no issues with Tesla charging network - it works!

They just need to solve the home charging issue for people that don't have a driveway, as this will reduce congestion on the out of home non Tesla charging network. It's coming but progress is slow and has dropped onto the back burner at the moment due to governments having bigger issues to solve.

Most new car deliveries (ICE / Electric) delayed mainly due to chip shortages / wiring looms & the impact of Covid upon factories. China will be out of lockdon soon so factories have already been instructed to boost output in order to get the Chinese economy back on track. So fingers crossed wait times for all new cars should reduce soon.

But I think a decent Electric camper is a long way off, so combo of ICE Cali + EV will be our personal choice for a long while. Still think VW missed a trick by not putting an elevating roof on the Buzz, then you could just add a third party kitchen pod and create your own DIY camper.

I tried numerous times to order a Buzz and didn’t get the call back from Volkswagen dealership.
I also think they missed a trick, with its fixed seats up front and lack of flexibility in the back.
We were thinking of buying one to add with the Cali as our daily driver, but now considering the model 3.

Would like a Taycan, but a bit rich for us.

One of the biggest problems is people confusing Climate Change and Enviromental Pollution. They are not the same.
Diesel is better for Climate Change than Petrol, less CO2, but worse for the Enviroment.
Likewise EVs, better for Climate, provided the electricity s from clean sources, but Enviroment is a different matter because of the rare earths/elements required for batteries and the additional power generation and distribution systems.
Also, replacing fossil powered vehicles with EV equivalent also impacts both the climate and environment.
There is no easy answer but I fear the dash for EVs is another debacle similar to the dash for Diesel, and look where that has led us, damaging the Environment at the expense of the Climate.
The Law of Unintended Consequences is alive and flourishing.
"To every action there is an equal opposite reaction" ???

well.. now ever Porsche is more valuable than VW... after spinoff, producing a fraction of the cars in numbers. Very different margins, makes you think how much value for money a 911 is.