Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tena Koe (Greetings) California whanau (extended family)

S

Scribbler939

Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hi from Orewa, New Zealand, and thanks to all posters here who have given their insights to ownership of a Grand California.

My wife and I are about to receive the keys to a Reflex silver 600, after trading in a six-berth Swift Escape 694. This downsize is driven by lots of factors - the Volkswagen's 4wd, the more robust construction as opposed to a glued-together GRP motorhome body, and (hopefully) much more improved build quality.

We've read with interest the musings of California owners who don't see the Grand as a multi-purpose vehicle capable of everyday tasks. When you're coming from a 7.4m long Swift, suddenly a 6.0m long 600 appears quite compact and useable. The GC reminds us of our old Kea Traveller campervan - a LWB Transporter T5 based camper that could have formed the design template for the T5 and T6 California, with advantages such as a bigger fridge and extra storage. With the GC, we'll be getting the indoor/outdoor flow of the Kea back, comparable fridge, kitchen and storage, but with the added convenience of a wetroom/toilet and a proper roof instead of a pop-top.

We'll let you know if the 600 meets these expectations, while touring as many islands of NZ as we can.

I'm sure you'll have a great time touring Aotearoa in your new GC. We live just north from you in Waipu and have a T5.1 Cali which we have had since just April but have enjoyed some great trips around the NI already. There is a NZ California Owners Facebook page which has a good mix of Cali and GC owners on it if you aren't already a member. Ngā mihi.

Missing NZ and all our lovely friends there. Last trip was Jan 20 - got back to UK just as Covid started to shut everything down. Got up to Cape Reinga in a rental camper. Something very magical and spiritual about that place.