Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T7 Spyshots.

The 6.1 and now this?

Let's Hope the T7.1 is a fast follower and the designer retires early.

I had to google that, it wasn't the best received vehicle, it did however come with some camping geartent.jpg
"The included tent and blow up mattress package meant that drivers could get cozy in the back of their own car. A split tailgate had a pair of seats and cup holders for those tailgating or camping outings. Despite the fact that having perfectly-fitting camping gear already with your car is pretty neat, the focus of the car went entirely to being the perfect party wagon. The centre console even doubles as a removable cooler (we assume to get you through walking home after your Aztek leaves you stranded)".

Seriously, I often wonder how these strategic design meetings at VW would go. Or what test panel their marketeers are using. Is it a choise for being deliberately anti-elegant, like a statement, like what they sold in their first T1 and T2 commercials, or like the Fiat Multipla? At least this Multipla was fresh, corresponded to its poppy design goal, and clever in it’s added values. Here? Windtunnel things? A package of compromise I’m affraid…How often I get nostalgic when I look at the old-timers,…

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Last edited:
I had to google that, it wasn't the best received vehicle, it did however come with some camping gearView attachment 85109
"The included tent and blow up mattress package meant that drivers could get cozy in the back of their own car. A split tailgate had a pair of seats and cup holders for those tailgating or camping outings. Despite the fact that having perfectly-fitting camping gear already with your car is pretty neat, the focus of the car went entirely to being the perfect party wagon. The centre console even doubles as a removable cooler (we assume to get you through walking home after your Aztek leaves you stranded)".
From an article on the cars in Breaking Bad…..
Walter White – Pontiac Aztek

“The Aztek – one of the most boring cars ever made was one of the first vehicles established right in the pilot episode of Breaking Bad – much before the birth of 'Heisenberg'. It was chosen to depict the 'baby boomer', lame and pathetic side of Walter White. The Pontiac Aztek stood up as a beacon of failed dreams. “

From an article on the cars in Breaking Bad…..
Walter White – Pontiac Aztek

“The Aztek – one of the most boring cars ever made was one of the first vehicles established right in the pilot episode of Breaking Bad – much before the birth of 'Heisenberg'. It was chosen to depict the 'baby boomer', lame and pathetic side of Walter White. The Pontiac Aztek stood up as a beacon of failed dreams. “
Yes I heard or read something similar recently. Someone who was involved in that series said that they wanted WW to appear to be a looser and even resprayed the car beige to reinforce that image.

Seriously, I often wonder how these strategic design meetings at VW would go. Or what test pannel their marketeers are using. Is it a choise for being deliberately anti-elegant, like a statement, like what they sold in their first T1 and T2 commercials, or like the Fiat Multipla? At least this Multipla was fresh, corresponded to its poppy design goal, and clever in it’s added values. Here? Windtunnel things? A package of compromise I’m affraid…How often I get nostalgic when I look at the old-timers,…

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
That design is enough to give any wind tunnel severe constipation.

What I don't get with these designs, and TBF the T7 only just sneaks in with these bad boys who've been hit by the ugly stick hard, is that these must have taken years to finalise and get into production. And at no point did someone have the guts to say "actually, that's a revolting".

I thought the same, the bit on the front looks daft.

I wonder if it has been designed as an EV and then they had to enlarge the front to fit a combustion engine - so maybe the initial design was:

View attachment 85146
Well, there you have your 7.1!
Think someone found some old Previa design notes for the back tough, on some boot sale... yuk. Without the roof it would be great as a transportation modus for tourists imo.
Can't wait to see the ID Buzz to come on the market.

Last edited:
Updated look and info here:

Wow - it looks nothing like the Buzz concept - which IMO was amazing.

Think this YouTube comment sums it up perfectly....

Anssi Helminen

3 weeks ago

I fell in love with the ID Buzz concept when it came out some 4 years ago or so. Since then I've looked forward to see this beautiful car in production. But this van on the video is just sad! All the characteristics that made the concept so interesting are gone. VW had a chance to bring something really cool and refreshing to the table, but now they seem to be urinating in to their own cereals with this boring whatever.

Wow - it looks nothing like the Buzz concept - which IMO was amazing.
I’m glad I’m not the only one feeling this. That video was such a let down after the amazing concept videos of the ID Buzz.

In a way, I’m actually glad VW gave up on their original vision. I was getting a bit worried that I was spending an enormous amount of money buying a T6.1 that would see its value collapse the day the ID Buzz California was released (let’s face it: the reason why Californias hold their value so we’ll is because they haven’t evolved much since the T5). But now that VW have managed to turn the ID Buzz into something almost as bland and boring as a T6, it looks like a T6.1 California is still a safe enough bet.

Both the T7 and Buzz in the video above have the small quarter window behind the A pillar making them look/feel more like a people carrier than a van. I'm not convinced the new platform will feel as spacious inside.

"Right everyone, help yourself to tea and biscuits. We are going to try something new with the T7 design. In this hat are lots of peices of folded paper each with a body pannel/part written on it. All you have to do is pick one and use your imagination to knock up a quick fag packet design. We will cobble together what you all come up with thereby creating a design icon. It's job and finish then down the pub".