larrylamb

larrylamb

Cali owner.
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Just seen these shots supposedly of the upcoming
T7. Looks awful and a backwards step style wise. Looks like it will run alongside the T6.1 as more of an MPV. Thoughts anyone.

Need an emoji of a being sick face

If what they say is true then the commercial side will continue with the T6. 1 format. So we can dismiss the T7 variant.
What will be the evolutionary pathway of the T6. 1 Commercial?

I do wish the press would not call these "spy shots". Do we really think a photographer is camped in the Arctic Circle on the off chance that a test vehicle might happen to drive past? It is clearly stage managed by the VW press team.

The T7 is an utter dog. Clearly much smaller than the T5/T6/T6.1 which are basically all the same. However, I question whether VW are committed to the "California" long-term. I thought that Hanover were due to produce the ID Buzz as compensation for Ford producing the next "VW" Transporter. On the assumption that this T7 is too small to be a campervan, are VW going to fit out the Ford based next-gen Transporter in California form?

Last edited:
I do wish the press would not call these "spy shots". Do we really think a photographer is camped in the Arctic Circle on the off chance that a test vehicle might happen to drive past? It is clearly stage managed by the VW press team.

The T7 is an utter dog. Clearly much smaller than the T5/T6/T6.1 which are basically all the same. However, I question whether VW are committed to the "California" long-term. I thought that Hanover were due to produce the ID Buzz as compensation for Ford producing the next "VW" Transporter. On the assumption that this T7 is too small to be a campervan, are VW going to fit out the Ford based next-gen Transporter in California form?
I did see a mention of the Buzz being put back until 2023.

If what they say is true then the commercial side will continue with the T6. 1 format. So we can dismiss the T7 variant.
What will be the evolutionary pathway of the T6. 1 Commercial?
Yes, seems strange to adopt the T7 name when it appears more of a dated people carrier design. Could have just been the new "Sharan".

super .... i nostri T6 saranno molto ricercati .... hahaha

T7. Looks awful and a backwards step style wise. Looks like it will run alongside the T6.1 as more of an MPV. Thoughts anyone.
A retrograde step illustrated by the photo with the bronze 6.1 behind for comparison

It looks smaller, that might explain why VW has built two variants of the Grand California. I hope I'm wrong the day it's time to replace our T5 from 2012.

Then I think it will require something that is not based on a relatively old engine technology today. Personally, I am not uncomfortable with the tank of an electric camper, which can be driven equivalent to a tank on a charge i.e. at least 750 km on a single charge. The slightly more utopian requirement is that it should not take longer to charge than 12 hours with a charging post, that there are charging posts on campgrounds and pitches and that it is possible to charge the propulsion battery pack over a longer period of time for a maximum of two to three days with solar cells under favorable conditions. But it's probably just a dream.

Oh please no. Thats awful. Its like a fat MPV.

As said above it looks more ye olde citroen than VW Transporter. Really hope its nothing like this 'spyshot'

Its looking like we'll have to wait until the T8 or 9 or 10 for the
new Camper model.
Anyway, here's a new big BMW that i spotted in my hood, looking
doomed for the RHD market. Full electric.
IMG_0442.JPG

I won't be buying a Ford Transit irrespective of where it is being made.

Spy shots? Released by VW more like.

What ever it is, it doesn't say potential camper van! Further more what it does say to me is: Hello, I'm a really boring box.

Spy shots? Released by VW more like.

What ever it is, it doesn't say potential camper van! Further more what it does say to me is: Hello, I'm a really boring box.
VW has also said its smaller car based chassis isn't apt for commercial loads. That job will be covered by the electric Buzz starting next year, and the diesel/hybrid VW rebadged Turkish made Transit starting in 2024. No word on who will make the next California.

Maybe both. Coming Forum fight: my German electric Buzz Beach is better than your diesel Turkish Transit based Ocean? :eek:

Last edited: