Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T7 Spyshots.

S

subthree

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I won't be buying a Ford Transit irrespective of where it is being made.

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Spy shots? Released by VW more like.

What ever it is, it doesn't say potential camper van! Further more what it does say to me is: Hello, I'm a really boring box.

clarinetbcn

clarinetbcn

T5.1 Beach 140
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Spy shots? Released by VW more like.

What ever it is, it doesn't say potential camper van! Further more what it does say to me is: Hello, I'm a really boring box.
VW has also said its smaller car based chassis isn't apt for commercial loads. That job will be covered by the electric Buzz starting next year, and the diesel/hybrid VW rebadged Turkish made Transit starting in 2024. No word on who will make the next California.

Maybe both. Coming Forum fight: my German electric Buzz Beach is better than your diesel Turkish Transit based Ocean? :eek:

Last edited:
Erbster

Erbster

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
VW has also said its smaller car based chassis isn't apt for commercial loads. That job will be covered by the electric Buzz starting next year, and the diesel/hybrid VW rebadged Turkish made Transit starting in 2024. No word on who will make the next California.

Maybe both. Coming Forum fight: my German electric Buzz Beach is better than your diesel Turkish Transit based Ocean? :eek:
I can’t help thinking the T6.1 is the end of the line for the Cali we know and love and that it’s successor is likely to be a very different beast. In my mind, the jury is out as to whether it will suit my needs. I’d love to have an electric vehicle, but I think I’ll end up keeping my 2017 Ocean for another decade.

Louis II

Louis II

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Amazing so much investment in new diesel engines is going in with 8 years to go (13 for hybrid)...
My understanding is that the ban only applies to Cars and vans ie under 3.5 tonnes leaving diesel around for a while until battery powered electric or something else becomes viable for larger vehicles.
Could a diesel electric hybrid T series / cali end up weighing over 3.5 tonnes and escaping the legislation?

clarinetbcn

clarinetbcn

T5.1 Beach 140
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
hhhmmm...... is the driver sitting in the middle of the van there? :eek:

and theyre releasing this in June ?

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/05/07/vw-t7-multivan-teaser-image/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000015
Yep, like I mentioned on another post, the forward false A pillar is to disguise that the new platform is a long nosed car platform. It makes visibility worse, but just like with the new Buzz, it's meant to give the impression of being a van, while the rearward placed front row doesn't give the space efficiency of a van. Just imagine eliminating the front A pillar and suddenly you can see it's a car. It's basically a modified Caddy chassis with a false van nose stuck on.

Last edited:
Auberg-ine

Auberg-ine

Is it an office? Is it a lounge? Is it a camper?
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Beauty was never a VW issue...

VW will stay ugly.jpg e0a0c67ab148b49a1bd5c3e061ca5b67.jpg
49056174142_d9bba5e3e5_4k.jpg6b7c29f06d3e4a72dd2f9be67b2348c4.jpg
Schermafbeelding 2021-05-08 om 04.34.25.jpg
If I look at that evolutionary scheme, they seem to use 'ugly' again as a USP.
Sorry, I just like them 'straight'.

Last edited:
Algor

Algor

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Until VW claim that the T7 can carry at least 2 Euro pallets then I won't even consider it as a possible replacement for the cali, what it looks like is all very interesting but unless it can carry at least 1 tonne then it can't be a cali.

Nand0

Nand0

Vehicle
Looking to buy
VW confirmed the T7 won't be used as a platform for the California. Also other heavy chassis will continue to be built on a 6.1.
so you aren't going to drive an electric california any time soon
Do you have a link for this source of info?

Calimili

Calimili

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Do you have a link for this source of info?
Certainly. You are from Switzerland, do you speak german? google translation below checked by me.

Mit der MQB-Plattform hat der T7 also eher eine Pkw-Basis, die zwar bestimmt komfortabel, aber weniger robust sein wird. Beispielsweise wird der MQB nicht so eine hohe Nutzlast zur Verfügung stellen, wie sie gewerblich genutzte Fahrzeuge in der Regel benötigen. Als klassisches Nutzfahrzeug bleibt deshalb der T6.1 weiterhin verfügbar, auch nach dem Marktstart des T7.

Trotz vieler Anpassungen wird sich der neue VW T7 sicherlich schwertun. Als Campingbus ist die Zuladung zu gering, weshalb WohnmobilistInnen wohl eher auf den 6.1 zurückgreifen werden, der durch größere Kapazitäten überzeugt. Ein anderes Problem bleibt die Elektromobilität. Der Wunsch nach einem mit Strom angetriebenen Campingbus mit ordentlich Reichweite bleibt unerfüllt.

and :
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/neuheiten/vw-bus-t7-2021-fotos-daten-design-motoren/
Der Nachteil des MQB: Die Plattform ist nicht für den harten Einsatz als Nutzfahrzeug ausgelegt – daher bleibt der VW T6.1 auch nach der Markteinführung des T7 als Nutzfahrzeug und California im Programm.

Translation for the forum:

With the MQB platform, the T7 has more of a car base, which will certainly be comfortable, but less robust. For example, the MQB will not provide as high a payload as commercially used vehicles usually require. As a classic commercial vehicle, the T6.1 will therefore continue to be available, even after the market launch of the T7.

Despite many adjustments, the new VW T7 will certainly struggle. As a camping bus, the payload is too low, which is why mobile home owners are more likely to fall back on the 6.1, which impresses with its larger capacities. Electromobility remains another problem. The desire for an electricity-powered camper van with a decent range remains unfulfilled.

The disadvantage of the MQB: The platform is not designed for tough use as a commercial vehicle - so the VW T6.1 will remain in the range even after the T7 has been launched as a commercial vehicle and California.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Certainly. You are from Switzerland, do you speak german? google translation below checked by me.

Mit der MQB-Plattform hat der T7 also eher eine Pkw-Basis, die zwar bestimmt komfortabel, aber weniger robust sein wird. Beispielsweise wird der MQB nicht so eine hohe Nutzlast zur Verfügung stellen, wie sie gewerblich genutzte Fahrzeuge in der Regel benötigen. Als klassisches Nutzfahrzeug bleibt deshalb der T6.1 weiterhin verfügbar, auch nach dem Marktstart des T7.

Trotz vieler Anpassungen wird sich der neue VW T7 sicherlich schwertun. Als Campingbus ist die Zuladung zu gering, weshalb WohnmobilistInnen wohl eher auf den 6.1 zurückgreifen werden, der durch größere Kapazitäten überzeugt. Ein anderes Problem bleibt die Elektromobilität. Der Wunsch nach einem mit Strom angetriebenen Campingbus mit ordentlich Reichweite bleibt unerfüllt.

and :
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/neuheiten/vw-bus-t7-2021-fotos-daten-design-motoren/
Der Nachteil des MQB: Die Plattform ist nicht für den harten Einsatz als Nutzfahrzeug ausgelegt – daher bleibt der VW T6.1 auch nach der Markteinführung des T7 als Nutzfahrzeug und California im Programm.

With the MQB platform, the T7 has more of a car base, which will certainly be comfortable, but less robust. For example, the MQB will not provide as high a payload as commercially used vehicles usually require. As a classic commercial vehicle, the T6.1 will therefore continue to be available, even after the market launch of the T7.

Despite many adjustments, the new VW T7 will certainly struggle. As a camping bus, the payload is too low, which is why mobile home owners are more likely to fall back on the 6.1, which impresses with its larger capacities. Electromobility remains another problem. The desire for an electricity-powered camper van with a decent range remains unfulfilled.

The disadvantage of the MQB: The platform is not designed for tough use as a commercial vehicle - so the VW T6.1 will remain in the range even after the T7 has been launched as a commercial vehicle and California.
So also a 3rd Party " informed" comment.

clarinetbcn

clarinetbcn

T5.1 Beach 140
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach

and :

"daher bleibt der VW T6.1 auch nach der Markteinführung des T7 als Nutzfahrzeug und California im Programm."

"so the VW T6.1 will remain in the range even after the T7 has been launched as a commercial vehicle and California."

I think the English version would be clearer like this:

"so the VW T6.1 will remain in the range as a commercial vehicle and California even after the T7 has been launched."

VW California Club